ankle ache driving hymer b544 ? (1 Viewer)

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
just wondering if any one else has suffered ankle ache (not the medical term you understand) in their hymer. We have just bought this and my husband says the peddles are a little offset to the right and it makes his ankle ache as the peddles are also quite high off the floor. Anyone got any ideas or modified theirs in some way apart from wearing a pair of cuban heels :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I never did find a solution to this problem.

only thing i could think was a block of wood under my heel....definately not advisable or recommended

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cruise control is as close as you'll get to a cure. The problem is mainly felt during long runs at constant speed because the go pedal is high compared to the floor so your ankle is held in a really uncomfortable position for long periods. With cruise control you can take your foot off the go pedal for the long constant speed sections.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cruise control is as close as you'll get to a cure. The problem is mainly felt during long runs at constant speed because the go pedal is high compared to the floor so your ankle is held in a really uncomfortable position for long periods. With cruise control you can take your foot off the go pedal for the long constant speed sections.

D.

I totaly agree with Dave a cruise is the best way to go and a very relaxing way of driving a motorhome

My last cruise control is factory fit from Fiat....but the one Dave fitted on my previous Fiat was a off the shelf ...and a far better cruise control it was better than Fiats..fitted in the same place and looks just like a fiat cruise....but more options on the of the shelf when using it:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My previous Hymer was on a 2.5TD Ducato,I had an 'organ' type pedal conversion which cured the 'ache',it was a non specific unit bought from a motor shop.
On a lot of roads here Cruise can be something of a pain,the roads are not clear enough unless you travel off peak.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
This is due to a full-width 'trough' in front of the seats. I lifted the carpet and tailored a piece of ply which fitsright across the cab, under the carpet, giving a flat floor. This is the same as putting a block of wood or a book under the heel but will not move, and is un-noticeable. :thumb:

(The Dethleffs is identical to the Hymer)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ralphman

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
i was thinking of two spatulas glued on to his shoes :winky:

cruise control sounds expensive, is it ?

it is a hymer on a fiat ducato 2.5 td

i did suggest some sort of pedal extensions but joe wasn't sure if they would interfere with putting your foot down when needed

thanks for all replies so far ::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
My 'piece of ply' method, IMHO, is the quickest, easiest, cheapest, neatest option. It can be fixed to the front of the seat-boxes with a small angle bracket if you like but it sits firmly over the well and only needs to be about 8 inches wide. Put the carpet back over it and it looks like original flat floor :Smile:

PS.: It makes a good place to stash small ...valuables etc. too

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I had the same problem, temporary job of a block of wood, velcro glued down to the flooring (not very noticable) and velcro glued to the block and it does not move unless i move it. Worked well but the permanant solution would be cruise.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
i was thinking of two spatulas glued on to his shoes :winky:

cruise control sounds expensive, is it ?

it is a hymer on a fiat ducato 2.5 td

i did suggest some sort of pedal extensions but joe wasn't sure if they would interfere with putting your foot down when needed

thanks for all replies so far ::bigsmile:

Yes about £400 to £450 fitted...my personal views, it is and was worth it....if you put ply wood or wood or anything under the foot...if you had an accident for whatever reason yours or the other person....would the insurance firm use this as an excuse not to pay out......I don't know
:Doh:
The ply or wood blocks would be cheaper option in the short term BUT would it prove expensive in the long term...the insurance firms now are looking for every little excuse...you pays your money you take your chance.......not something I would contemplate

Mel

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Cruise control.
I have had it on a few vehicles, and think it's wonderful. I use it all the time, just a push of a button.
Some do not use it, others only use it on motorways, some don't know how to use it.
It makes driving easier, more comfortable, and more economical.

Craig

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I agree with Heyupluv regarding the insurance, wooden block only a temp solution need to fit cruise.
Always had cruise on cars over last 15/20 years and use it all the time even in 30 MPH areas easy to put on and off and makes a big diff to fuel usage if used correctly.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree. Cruise control has been well worth the cost. I was surprised at how little it cost compared to the benefit. I never do a journey in the van without recalling how much I appreciate it.
Wyn

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I agree with Heyupluv regarding the insurance, wooden block only a temp solution need to fit cruise.
Always had cruise on cars over last 15/20 years and use it all the time even in 30 MPH areas easy to put on and off and makes a big diff to fuel usage if used correctly.

And helps to keep to speed limits, without constantly looking at the speedo. A much more refined way to travel i think.

Craig

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm surprised no one's come up with the obvious solution - put your foot down. Not only will your foot be nearer to the floor but you will get there quicker and so not have to suffer for so long:winky:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
And helps to keep to speed limits, without constantly looking at the speedo. A much more refined way to travel i think.

Craig

I do it on the motorway set cruise at 70 and feel as though i'm standing stiil as everyone passes me.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I had the same problem and fixed it by putting a 25mm board on the floor under the carpet:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cruise control can also be beneficial to economy too.

my car is fitted with cruise which is linked to the engine management unit as there is no throttle cable (drive by wire).

on the instrument cluster there is an LCD info screen which includes a sliding bar type economy/performance meter, among other things, again EMU controlled.

in none cruise mode i find it hard to keep the bar above 60% (the higher the better economy) and fluctuates greatly but driving the same road in cruise mode it never goes below around 80%, except on hills, and is quite stable.

modern aftermarket ones may work in a different way electrically or mechanically, but will still aid economy.....and take the strain off your ankle :thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have got cruise control on my car:Smile:

But!!!!!!

I haven't the faintest idea how to use it.

It has a stalk on the steering column:Smile:

Can anyone explain in idiots speak how it works:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have got cruise control on my car:Smile:

But!!!!!!

I haven't the faintest idea how to use it.

It has a stalk on the steering column:Smile:

Can anyone explain in idiots speak how it works:Smile:
Hi Lesley,

have a close look at the stalk and accustomise yourself with the functions shown on it.
it shou;d have a power button (usually on the end), a SET button, an accelerate and decelerate arrow and a resume arrow.

while driving press the power button.

drive at the speed you want to cruise at the pull/push the stalk towards SET position.

that has set the speed and you can take your foot of the pedal.

to ACCELERATE just pull or push the stalk in the direction it shows and hold until the new speed is reached then let go, using the accelerate position on the stalk will increase the preset speed and hold that new speed.

OR you can just press the pedal as normal leaving the stalk alone (overtaking etc)....when you release the pedal it will decelerate to the original pre set speed again.

if you touch the brakes, or the clutch if its a manual car, the system will disengage but is still active.
pull/push the stalk in the direction of RESUME and the car will accelerate to the pre set speed....but be warned, this acceleration can be quite fast...faster than you may usually accelerate...so you may want to use the pedal until you are at or near the pre set speed then use the RESUME on the stalk.

no matter what happens, just a touch of the brakes will disengage the cruise control

very easy once you master the various stalk positions

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
just wondering if any one else has suffered ankle ache (not the medical term you understand) in their hymer. We have just bought this and my husband says the peddles are a little offset to the right and it makes his ankle ache as the peddles are also quite high off the floor. [HI]Anyone got any ideas[/HI] or modified theirs in some way apart from wearing a pair of cuban heels :whatthe:
Has he thought of getting you to drive, that would stop his ankle from aching.:winky:

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
In my youth I had an early Mini and fitted a "Paddy Hopkirk" pedal extender to the accelerator. I wonder if they're still available and could solve the problem?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Lesley,

have a close look at the stalk and accustomise yourself with the functions shown on it.
it shou;d have a power button (usually on the end), a SET button, an accelerate and decelerate arrow and a resume arrow.

while driving press the power button.

drive at the speed you want to cruise at the pull/push the stalk towards SET position.

that has set the speed and you can take your foot of the pedal.

to ACCELERATE just pull or push the stalk in the direction it shows and hold until the new speed is reached then let go, using the accelerate position on the stalk will increase the preset speed and hold that new speed.

OR you can just press the pedal as normal leaving the stalk alone (overtaking etc)....when you release the pedal it will decelerate to the original pre set speed again.

if you touch the brakes, or the clutch if its a manual car, the system will disengage but is still active.
pull/push the stalk in the direction of RESUME and the car will accelerate to the pre set speed....but be warned, this acceleration can be quite fast...faster than you may usually accelerate...so you may want to use the pedal until you are at or near the pre set speed then use the RESUME on the stalk.

no matter what happens, just a touch of the brakes will disengage the cruise control

very easy once you master the various stalk positions

Also when set, the ACC button/stalk pushed briefly will increase the speed by one mile per hour, and the DEC button/stalk will decrease the speed by one mile per hour.
If you are travelling at 48mph and you dabbed the ACC button/stalk twice, the speed will increase to 50mph.
On a steep climb uphill in a heavy vehicle, it is best to cancel the CC and drive up normally, as it will race the engine trying to maintain the set speed which could be impossible.

Craig

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Problem with cruise control - what if you have a heart attack with your car stuck at 80 mph and you are incapable of touching a peddle?

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back