Animals to/from Morrocco (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Has anyone taken a dog/cat to Morrocco? and ifso how did you get on with returning to Europe and UK. :thanks2:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
It has been my misfortune to visit Morocco, dogs are treated horribly and the very thought that my dog could be stolen or go missing gives me nightmares.

No way do I want to dissuade you from going, but please consider if you really have to take your dog - assuming he / she actually means something to you.

Also, as you know it's outside the EU and that brings a whole new set of legislation into play. There's plenty of rabid dogs in Morocco and I doubt that DEFRA would just let you back into UK as they do when visiting the EU

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Officially difficult I think - don't they have to go into quarantine on return?

However, I have seen UK motorhomers with their dogs in Morocco.

Best to ask Ray of Desert Detors for the definitive answer (detourer on here)

:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi

Whilst we were in Morocco we saw some terrible sights with dogs and cats.

Every time we went on a camp site we were surrounded by loads of cats crying for food and drink - we always obliged - we didn't mind as we are cat and dog lovers ourselves. One cat actually upset me immensly in Marakech - his tail was half gone and the end was very sore - he was so pitiful I wanted to scoop him up and bring him back home and I would have done had Geo not told me of the consequences if we were caught at the border. In actual fact, at the border coming home, the guards actually went through all our lockers and came in the RV, jumping up and down on the floor boards and looking in the bed room and shower room etc. I know they were looking for people but like I say the consequences don't bear thinking about if they had found the cat.

Please bear in mind that in the camp sites, when there is an over abundance of cats they put poisen down to kill them off so if I were you I would not be taking any cat or dog with me just in case they picked the poisen up themselves. Don't forget the poisen will probably be put on food to encourage them to take it.

If you look at our photos of Morocco you will see some photos of the cats that we befriended.

Have a great time when you go - the scenery is something you will never see anywhere else. :thumb:

Oh and if you are a real animal lover don't go down in the live meat markets:cry:

Pammy

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If you take a pet to Morocco and evade quarantine you may find you gain some fame.
By bringing Rabies into the UK.
Don't be mean - put the pets in good hands in the UK - then no worries.
Please do not kid yourself that the poor dears will miss you if you leave them - they will not exactly thank you for the various things they can pick up in North Africa.
Have a stress free trip - leave the pets at home.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
In some places it seemed that every second RV had a dog or two or three and we did see a couple of cats in RVs as well.

Mostly Continental RVers so presumably there is no problem going from Morocco to Spain and then to other countries other than UK.

UK couple who did adopt a dog in Morocco said they would have to leave it in quarantine in France for 6 months before they would be allowed to take it home.

Allegations of mistreatment of animals by Moroccans need to be tempered by the realisation that in a country where mere survival is a bit problematic, using one's first world standards to judge the third word situation is a bit unfair. I saw it that dogs and cats were not mistreated as such, merely not treated. They were feral animals doing what wild animals do - breed and try to survive. Many Moroccans live the same way.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you take a pet to Morocco and evade quarantine you may find you gain some fame.
By bringing Rabies into the UK.
Don't be mean - put the pets in good hands in the UK - then no worries.
Please do not kid yourself that the poor dears will miss you if you leave them - they will not exactly thank you for the various things they can pick up in North Africa.
Have a stress free trip - leave the pets at home.

Hi if your pet is part of the passport scheme it will be inoculated against rabies, which is not just confined to Morocco anyway, but is prevalent in large parts of Europe.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogijock
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Dogs/Cats Morocco

Thankyou one and all for your replies and input, looks like the animals will be stopping at home.
Bill :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the scenery is something you will never see anywhere else. :thumb: Pammy

As an aside - that's Ray's line, I disagree. Man made scenery aside, I said many times "just like......." but never "Oh my god, never seen nuffin like it". Still great scenery and maybe the highest mountain pass we've done. Who will prove me wrong :)

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi if your pet is part of the passport scheme it will be inoculated against rabies, which is not just confined to Morocco anyway, but is prevalent in large parts of Europe.
Spot on Olley - can I plead a bottle too much of the red grape juice last night?
I was thinking of direct Morocco/UK travel, which is not covered by pet passport and jabs, but then again is not covered by any ferry that I can find, so an unlikely trip.

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

Every time we went on a camp site we were surrounded by loads of cats crying for food and drink - we always obliged - we didn't mind as we are cat and dog lovers ourselves.

Pammy

Agree with the views comments but as far as feeding the animals... just think of all those that get pestered for food once you have gone... some of us are not so keen on feeding them....:cry:

But Morocco is a fantastic place. We will be going back....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
maroc is a great place .i say take a big bag of dog food if your going .always feed the strays they pay you back as guard dogs. more chance of rabies in the black forest area of germany than maroc. people are nice as well . always a bad one in any bunch just like here .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back