Angioplasty Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, May 8, 2016.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I am booked in to have an Angioplasty on the 1st June, anyone had one, what was it like, I was diagnosed with mild Angina after a silent heart attack in 1993, no probs since, but breathing is now becoming laboured in certain circumstances.
    The month's holiday in the USA has had to be cancelled, which we were thinking of anyway as my brother has been diagnosed with lung cancer, not our year so far.:(

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Sorry to hear about your brother, and your impending op. Don't know much about angioplasty but I'm sure others will share their knowledge and experiences.
    Good luck, and I hope this year will now be on an upturn for you and your family.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not personally but the builder who did some work on our house a few weeks ago had had stents fitted just a week before he came here. Stents are often fitted after an angioplasty I believe, which is the stretching open of a blood vessel with a little balloon. The stent keeps it open.

He wasn't allowed to drive or doing much more than wander around giving instructions to his workers but he said he felt a hundred percent better than before the operation and there was no pain.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Sorry to hear about your brother. Good luck with your op. Can't answer your question, but also couldn't just 'like' it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

You will be fine. Many years ago when I was in my late 40's I found I was having problems walking any distance. Bearing in mind I had been in the Army for 25 years it came as a surprise. I was diagnosed with blocked arteries in each leg and recommended to have stents fitted. It went well and within days I was up and about with no pains in my legs, Infact I was able to take a box of chocs up to the hospital operating department from the bottom of Yeovil, something I was unable to do for a number of years. Good luck to you, and to your Brother.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

My 85 year old mother in law had a heart attack the morning after having a new hip fitted and was taken to have four stents fitted. She walked out of hospital five days later and is still going very strong at 92! We always called it her BOGOF operation!

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

I had an angiogram 4 years ago, nothing to worry about, they go in through your groin, you will have to shave off half of your pubes, because they go in 2 inches from your old chap, they put a disolving cork in the wound,just go steady for a few days. Unfortunately they could not stent me , so a triple bypass was required. All done 4monts later, living life to the full now, never felt better

• Like Like x 6
  8. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Good luck with your op and look after yourself

• Like Like x 2
  9. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Actually this has reminded me.... I was originally told I would need two incisions, one in each groin. As they finished my left leg the operating staff all got together in a sort of rugby scrum! Then Dr Gajraj asked if I would agree to them experimenting a bit!! He said the risky bit was the incisions into the arteries and as I was relativity young with flexible arteries, could they skip doing the second one and route the cathada thingy up through my chest, over the bronchial artery (I think!) and back down to my right leg. Not in much of a position to argue the case I agreed. I watched on the camera screen as they did just that, really unnerving!! :tmi: Sadly, I still have a photo image of the screen shot as it bent it's way through my body, somewhere in the attic!! :roflmto::roflmto:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Just had it done last week, been fit and healthy all my life (50) was up a mountain in the Dolomites (12,000 ft) less than 6 months ago on my way to Venice in the van so felt fine no problems breathing felt great, had a chest pain couple of weeks ago away in van turns out had heart attack within 5 days had a angiogram (throu groin), blocked artery so angioplast couple of days later
    Went in throu both wrists (to get either side of blockage) local so awake could watch if you wanted took about 2 hours (usual about hour) home the following day
    Not painful but uncomfortable, as I said not really found any difference as I wasn't suffering with breathing just a really bad back that was bugging me at work,now that's gone and it saved my life I suppose
    Any question pm me or ask away (y)

• Like Like x 5
  11. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Had one done last September,my problem was actually in my legs,but I had said that I had a bit of pain in my chest.
    Long story short,was diagnosed with a blockage in a vessel on the return to my heart.
    They went in via the wrist and I watched it done,stent placed, and then catheter removed.
    They placed a very clever clamp on your wrist,which is transparent so they can monitor the entry site,the clamp is slightly un comfortable untill they start reducing the pressure over a period of 2hours.
    Once removed and all vital signs normal I was able to fly back home to the Isle Of Man from Liverpool all done in a day.
    I was very nervous before they started,but it really was a doddle,so don't worry to much.
    If you need more info PM me.
    Have a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 5
  12. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I had a stent fitted 10 years ago, never a problem.

In on monday, usual checks, tuesday morning, shaved the 'area' and then it seemed all and sundry wanted to have a look to see if I had shaved properly, nurses, staff nurses, doctors, kitchen staff, window cleaner, lady on the food trolley, anyone that was passing.
    This was because I had refused to let the male nurse shave me.

'I'll do it myself' I told him in no uncertain terms. Wierdo was right upset.

Anyway, down to the theatre and the surgeon checks me out and says, 'I'll go in through your wrist'! :swear2: me! Everyone had seen what looked like the last chicken in Sainsbury's and now he goes a different route!

Out on wednesday. Easy peasy, nowt to worry about. No pain, a few tablets, and orf you jolly well go.

Craig

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

You must have been to Broadgreen then, the same as me. Flew me over on monday, and got the plane back wednesday.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  14. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

7.0clock morning flight,yes Broadgreen and back home same day 8pm like clockwork now-a-days.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Had it done 2 years ago, watched the operation on a screen with the surgeon explaining everything - showed me the collapsed vessel in the heart, explained that a stent, to expand the blood vessel, would be fed through an incision in my wrist. Watched it 'live'......... weird but reassuring .....

Out of hospital 2 days later............ don't worry

(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 3
  16. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Hi i'v had 4 angiograms 1 in the groin 3 in the wrist ,the latter being the best quicker and relatively pain free .I found the system in the groin is ok ,its just they no longer put a clamp on but i had someone from the opp theatre had to put his fist and full body weight of pressure on the groin entry for 30mns which i found uncomfortable. Give me the wrist every time .All in all its a straight forward procedure and nothing to stress about and you get the pleasure of watching them doing the job on the monitor .lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I can't tell you what it's like to have one personally, but my father in law had one after a heart attack. He was back to his old self in no time at all. Conversely, my father had years of breathing difficulty. His GP wrongly diagnosed asthma. He died from a massive heart attack 2 years ago, if he'd had stents, he would still be with us!
    I can only say that from my experience, the alternative to not having one is far worse, especially considering your symptoms!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Had a stent fitted three years ago following a heart attack, it seems I got my dad's nose but my mother's arteries ! As others said, watched it on the screen and not painful but an "odd" sensation. They went in through my wrist, though not before shaving my groin (just in case) and giving me a pair of sheer nylon underpants to wear, made my old chap look like a '60's bank robber :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

My GP also had origionally diagnosed me with asthma, different inhalers, nothing worked, Then saw a Professor at Cromer hospital who diagnosed angina, ongoing tests since then.
    Many thanks for all the information folks, I am reassured by your responses, my brothers prognosis is not so good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

Had it done 14 years ago through groin. Was back 4 weeks ago for a rebore. In at 7.45 am home at 4.00. Through wrist, much easier. No driving for 7 days otherwise brand new. Nothing to worry about and an instant and huge improvement in the angina. It is well worth it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1