Anger over motor home owners who dump their 'effluence' on the Burnham Explanade (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
You've clearly had nothing to do with a local paper ! Once the initial brouhaha has worn off there is no mileage in pursuing anything any further. There is always another hare to run. I really would not start thinking conspiracy theory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Not really bothers me either way, but one thing , if this woman owns a leisure thing opposite, surely you would think she would be glad of some trade from the mhs.
From a purely commercial point of view, she would probably prefer those parking space along the Esplanade to be occupied by cars. Cars don't usually have our tea making facilities, so the occupants would be more likely to spend money in her cafe.

Add to that the view her customers would have from her outdoor seating. Motorhomes are big beasts, so again would not improve the view, however beautiful they may look to us. She has just had a major battle to get her own building plans approved because others objected that the planned building would spoil the view.

So I can quite believe that she has a genuine commercial belief that motorhomes parking along there are detrimental to her own business. That doesn't excuse unsubstantiated attacks on motorhomes, not does it excuse a misrepresentation of the facilities required by motorhomes.

Assuming her opening hours include both evenings & breakfast time, what would benefit her business would be permissive 'parking' (i.e without a ban on sleeping) for motorhomes between the hours of 6pm to 10am. I do have some sympathy with seaside towns who wish to keep Esplanades & the like clear of large vehicles during the main part of the day in the tourist season.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Wouldn't motorhomers disposing of their affluence on Burnham Esplanade improve the general character of the place?

effluence
ˈɛflʊəns/
noun
noun: effluence
a substance that flows out from something.
  • the action of flowing out.

effluent
ˈɛflʊənt/Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed;

Probably not:).

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Dig a bit deeper and I bet the deluded sow has a boy friend with a big d.... who has a caravan site round the corner ??
That is uncalled for & is no better than unsubstantiated claims about 9 out of 10 motorhomes dumping effluence (or effluent).

Unless of course you have personal knowledge of the situation, in which case some might suggest that you were just jealous. :whistle:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had a Mickey mouse Prime Minister who started a war in Iraq based on stuff and nonsense and the consequence is all the grief in the Middle East we have had since. Sorry to tarnish Mickey mouse at least he was humorous. POLITICIANS IN GENERAL ARE JUST BLOOMING DANGEROUS !
PEOPLE IN GENERAL ARE JUST BLOOMING DANGEROUS ! (Especially crackpot dictators)
I don't believe the Arab spring was caused by Blair ...
Isn't this a little ott for a boring seaside town that most people don't want to go to

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Isn't this a little ott for a boring seaside town that most people don't want to go to

Hey..back off!! It might be boring to some of you lot, but to some of us who live near by it is a nice quiet place to spend a few hours watching the mud rolling in with the tide. Not many kids, not many motorhomes, just a few dog walkers enjoying the polluted sea air. If you go on a mile or so you reach Brean with it's golden sandy beaches and hundreds of holiday caravans. If we want REAL beach's and holiday entertainment we head even further north to Weston Super Mare where we have a new pier overlooking more mud, motorhomes parked on the sandy bits, and plenty of clubs, theatres bars and cafes. Oh, and a refurbished promenade that cost millions , one of the reasons why Burnam looks drab, no money left to spend on it!.
:think::sun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As she said herself "since I am working I don't have time to collect evidence".

But can manage to spot the 9 out of 10 waste tippers ?

She has just had a major battle to get her own building plans approved because others objected that the planned building would spoil the view.

Yes & the reason was she built them illegally & without planning permission. Retrospective was denied & it ended with temporary until 2017 whilst it was ongoing. No idea whether it is sorted yet ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Through the 80`s and 90`s. I lived and worked out of Yeovil. Both Hinkley Point and Burnham where part of my Bailiwick.. Burnham was just a quiet place with a couple of Garages with Air vessels, and several (Class1) Tea Boilers!!!. Oh! and a Guy who used to own a Traction Engine?. We went to Farmers Tavern, Seagull, and Brean Sands a bit for concerts, Long weekends in the old Caravan.

Highlight of the year used to be the Sand Racing at WsM!!

This woman, sounds very much like one we have on the P-C, Objects to everything, (unless it`s one of her favourite farmers!). Currently plans are in for a stinking, potentially explosive, biomass plant within 800M of our primary school. And guess who`s in favour?.

Pete. (Non, grey water dribbler!) Unlike the b**ger I followed out of last years Peterborough!.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Yes & the reason was she built them illegally & without planning permission. Retrospective was denied & it ended with temporary until 2017 whilst it was ongoing. No idea whether it is sorted yet ?
Two different things. The unauthorised structure was a kiosk selling sweets (I'm not even sure that was the Parkin family - I'd have to check). The structure I referred to is a retractable roof for the outdoor eating area at the landward end of the pier. That did get permission eventually - the councillors went against the planning officer's advice in approving it. On the limited press information I have seen, there was a good business case for the development & it may well have been the only viable way to keep the pier open - but I have nothing like enough information to make a reasoned judgement one way or another (& I don't care enough to take the time to find out :D ).

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
There is double yellows outside pier, there is proper motor home slots in big car park 200 yards away, this isnt brighton pier were talking about its only about 50 mtrs top. Also youve got to pay parking on prom.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A question.
As the news paper published the information, does the motorhome fraternity of the U.K. Not have a right of reply in the same journal ?
If a right of reply exists then perhaps someone ( hint to graham lol ) would like to use it ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A question.
As the news paper published the information, does the motorhome fraternity of the U.K. Not have a right of reply in the same journal ?
If a right of reply exists then perhaps someone ( hint to graham lol ) would like to use it ?
The correspondence I posted at #7 went to the reporter as well as the councillor John. As @Eeyore pointed out at #63, though, it's last week's news now :)

I think the councillor might just remember the salient points should she be tempted to say something similar in future :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Yorick the
effluence
ˈɛflʊəns/
noun
noun: effluence
a substance that flows out from something.
  • the action of flowing out.

effluent
ˈɛflʊənt/Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed;

Probably not:).

Read my post again. It wasn't a typo (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The correspondence I posted at #7 went to the reporter as well as the councillor John. As @Eeyore pointed out at #63, though, it's last week's news now :)

I think the councillor might just remember the salient points should she be tempted to say something similar in future :D
All well and good but the councillors words were published and read by the public who will have taken it on as factual ( albeit only in their hindbrain )
Surely it is the duty of the tome to publish a rebuttle or at least present opposing 'facts' so the public take get a balanced view ?
It is wild unfounded accusations which taint the public's view of the ever growing motorhome movement and if allowed to go unchecked or unchallenged in the public eye will / may have a long term negative impact on perceptions

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All well and good but the councillors words were published and read by the public who will have taken it on as factual ( albeit only in their hindbrain )
Surely it is the duty of the tome to publish a rebuttle or at least present opposing 'facts' so the public take get a balanced view ?
It is wild unfounded accusations which taint the public's view of the ever growing motorhome movement and if allowed to go unchecked or unchallenged in the public eye will / may have a long term negative impact on perceptions
A follow-up has been published Here so I have registered and left a comment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back