pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very personal preference, I'm afraid. As long as it isn't an iPad.

I did look at the iPad but it seems very basic by todays standard....no expansion ports, USB port, bluetooth or anything else that i could see.

the one im looking at is the Acer W3-810

was going to be a Galaxy 3 tab but once instore and given a choice..... :Doh:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I did look at the iPad but it seems very basic by todays standard....no expansion ports, USB port, bluetooth or anything else that i could see.

the one im looking at is the Acer W3-810

was going to be a Galaxy 3 tab but once instore and given a choice..... :Doh:

Seriously recommend borrowing one of each and seeing which OS you prefer. There's no correct answer, only what you find most usable.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just had my first Android experience (I use Apple stuff) when I got Dawn a Nexus and must say that I was impressed with it (and the Nexus by the way) have used Windows 8 on the computer and liked it once I had worked out how to make it look like windows 7...... Those who have it on a tablet like it, though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have run all 3
ipad fantastic easy to use but as you totally restrictive to apple

android not as easy to use but you can do a hell of a lot with it free and minimal cost on apps if your carfull

windows 8 is a little clunky to use at first as every thing has been moved around so takes a while to sort out but as far as I am concerned its the best for work but I have never tried to use it on a handheld only laptop

we use
Elaine apple all the way iPhone and ipad 2

me
windows 8 touch hp laptop for work
Samsung tablet for travel work and playing around with
iPhone for work and home only as it comes with job

as for operating systems its about personal choice and I would never try to impose my preference on anybody mainly due to fact we all want different things from computers

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
How do you get on with windows touch ?
Seems like a frustrating half baked version of Full windows.
I know several people who have it on thier tablets and hate it already.

Why didnt they just put a full version of windows on instead ?

barry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Seriously recommend borrowing one of each and seeing which OS you prefer. [HI]There's no correct answer, only what you find most usable.[/HI]

I agree completely.

I had a Galaxy Tab 2 which was fine for a bit of browsing and Android specific apps but I still kept my Windows 8 laptop (home use) and Windows 8 Vivobook (for the van) because I need certain items of Windows software and find using a proper keyboard preferable for all but small amounts of typing. I also had a Blackberry Playbook but preferred the Samsung so sold it on.

I bought a Nokia E7 phone because it has a proper keyboard but found Nokia's apps lacking when compared to Android so replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy S3 after Jill bought one. I then found that the S3 gave me all I needed from Android so sold on my Galaxy Tab.

Jill still uses a Galaxy Tab in addition to her S3, plus a Windows 7 laptop at home for some things.

I have looked at Apple from time to time but I've never really got on with their software and find their updates for my iPod irritating so that puts me off as well.

I wouldn't use Windows 8 on a tablet because - purely personal opinion - the range of software I use means it is still an OS for a machine with a proper keyboard. My Galaxy Tab was always the toy whereas the laptop/Vivobook are for more serious uses (again purely personal opinion).

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have never tried windows touch on a tablet
I use a 15 inch laptop for work and then most of time its hooked up to a projector and smart board then the touch side comes into its own

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How do you get on with windows touch ?
Seems like a frustrating half baked version of Full windows.
I know several people who have it on thier tablets and hate it already.

Why didnt they just put a full version of windows on instead ?

barry
the Acer runs a full windows 8....not a cut down mobile version. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Android.

It's well established and not a desktop pretending to be a tablet.

Huge choice.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
PC world/Currys price for the Acer is just £174...cheapest i can find.

£313 on Amazon. :whatthe:

looked on their website to reserve and collect......no!

pay and collect.....no!

pay and home delivery no!

according to their website they have none in the country.

funny thing, i looked at one today in Bridlington and they had a few in stock :Doh:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
getting more tempted.

Product Description
Output:18 Watt, Input:AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz ), Camera Features:HD video recording, Graphics Processor:Intel GMA 3650, Resolution:2 Megapixel (back), 2 Megapixel (front), Camera:Integrated webcam, Compliant Standards:High Definition Audio, Sound:Stereo speakers , microphone, Capture Resolutions:1920 x 1080, Run Time:Up to 8 hours, Capacity:25 Wh, Technology:2-cell lithium polymer, Features:Acer SignalUp, Wireless Controller:Acer InviLink Nplify, Wireless:802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Compliant Standards:Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, Interfaces:Micro-USB 2.0 ¦ Micro-HDMI ¦ Headphone/microphone combo jack, Memory Card Reader:Yes ( microSD, microSDHC ), Width:21.896 cm, Weight:500 g, Depth:13.49 cm, Height:1.135 cm, LCD Backlight Technology:LED backlight, Resolution:1280 x 800 ( WXGA ), Type:8.1" Multi-Touch, Widescreen:Yes, Features:CrystalBrite, HDCP, Service & Support:1 year warranty, Service & Support Details:Traveller warranty - 1 year, Technology:LPDDR2 SDRAM, RAM:2 GB, Security:Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Chip, Features:Ambient light sensor, digital compass, Accelerometer, gyroscope, Features:Intel Burst Technology, 64-bit Computing:Yes, Number of Cores:Dual-Core, Cache:L2 - 1 MB, CPU:Intel Atom Z2760 / 1.8 GHz, Software Included:Netflix, newsXpresso, TuneIn, Amazon Kindle, 7Digital, Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student Edition, Hard Drive:32 GB SSD

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have Win8 on my desktop and Jelly Bean on my Galaxy 3 8" Tab.
They both do what I bought them to do :thumb:

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
PC world/Currys price for the Acer is just £174...cheapest i can find.

£313 on Amazon. :whatthe:

looked on their website to reserve and collect......no!

pay and collect.....no!

pay and home delivery no!

according to their website they have none in the country.

funny thing, i looked at one today in Bridlington and they had a few in stock :Doh:

Currys/PC World always have a good price when there are none available to buy :roflmto:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Pappajohn, The answer depends largely on what you want to use the tablet for. If it is mainly emails, surfing and watching videos then go for Android. If it is mainly business applications then go for Windows.

I have an HP business laptop running windows (7), and it is very good. But, since I got my Asus Android tablet it never leaves the office - may just as well be a PC!. I even use the Android tablet when I am away on business because Android now has good business software. But then my tablet has a decent attachable keyboard, which is essential if you are doing a lot of typing.

I personally do not like the look of Windows 8 - it looks too much like a compromise to me. And early indications are not good - they quickly issued a revision which restored lots of things from Windows 7. My son reckons that history has shown that every other Windows release is bad - so 95 good, 2000 bad, XP good, vista bad, 7 good ...... which makes 8 bad!

Having said that the Acer looks good for the money and you have got some business software on there, but not the most important one (for me) which is Outlook. But the real problem is that Android has so many good apps now that are very cheap (or free). Windows software is still stuck in the bloatware era when software was big and expensive and we had to put up with it.

You could always hedge your bets. I have seen an Asus tablet that is switchable between Android and windows.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But then my tablet has a decent attachable keyboard, which is essential if you are doing a lot of typing. .

Agreed.

But you can do it on the cheap with any Android tab ( as long as it has bluetooth which I think is all of them ). Ebay, bluetooth keyboard £10. Works a treat.

Link Removed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agreed.

But you can do it on the cheap with any Android tab ( as long as it has bluetooth which I think is all of them ). Ebay, bluetooth keyboard £10. Works a treat.

Link Removed

Yes, but unlike mine it doesn't have an additional battery to add another 5 hours to the life of the tablet. And a USB port (for mouse, hard drive etc) and a second SD card slot. But I agree, much cheaper than I paid!

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Acer....discontinued line and out of stock locally, which is why it was cheap.
one availabe in Brid store...should have bought it yesterday :Doh:

ended up with my first choice....Samsung 16gb galaxy tab 3.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is now way you're going to regret that !

Now buy a 32G memory and a £10 keyboard and the world is your oyster.

comes with 16gb and a free 16gb SD Card as well.

keyboard defeats the object.....may as well have bought a notebook.
i like to just pick it up and move around.
even been known to take my kindle to the throne-room instead of a newspaper... :roflmto:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I've not tried windows 8 on a tablet, but after our experiences with it on a laptop (admittedly not touch screen) we wouldn't want to. In fact I HATE windows 8 with a passion! So personally it's Android that wins out for us:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've not tried windows 8 on a tablet, but after our experiences with it on a laptop (admittedly not touch screen) we wouldn't want to. In fact I HATE windows 8 with a passion! So personally it's Android that wins out for us:thumb:

dont know how but win 8 can be made to look and act like win 7.

and many win 7 programs will readily migrate to win 8

looks like i'll never find out....new tab is android 4.2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back