Android speed camera App

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Read the reviews...

It's a modified iOS app..not android

3. bungy

bungy Funster

merely an app that has been ported from IOS to Android...something that happens a lot, such as all the google stuff on IOS was ported from android and so on and so forth

Still ad android app though that Gromett is pointing at;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It runs on Android it is therefore an Android app. What he is likely complaining about is that TomTom haven't put any work into the reskinning. They have simply re-used the graphics from the IOS version.

The native language for Android Apps is Java, the Native language for IOS is Objective C. They are not cross compatible. In addition the API's of the two OS's are completely different so there is no way an IOS app will run on Android. You can't modify an App from one OS to run on the other it does require a total rewrite.

However there are cross platform App creation tools which output to both the native formats from one source language. However these do tend to do a half decent job of making them look native so I don't think that is the case here.

Anyway, I don't think any of that is relevent. If it works and it is what you need then who cares what it was written for first?

• Like Like x 1
  5. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Gromett your very knowledgeable indeed ............................however I didn't understand a word of it AND I've lost the will to live..........NURSE!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ok, I will try and explain more simply. A programming language is like a human language. Like French and English. Now 2 different operating systems one speaking French and the other English still have a lot of similarities. Work could be done to modify (translate) them from one to the other. However Android and IOS both have different API's. This stands for Application Programmers Interface. The closest I can explain this is that it is like the alphabet of a language. So IOS to Android is more like Russian (Cyrillic) to English. So not only the language is different but the letters are different and quite often have no equivalent so direct translation is not possible.

I am not very good at analogies so this is a poor one. However it should give you some ideas as to what I meant in my first post.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bungy

bungy Funster

wait till you have to do porting between IOS, Android and Windows phone...jeez that is a real pain in the proverbial...the later is completely naff!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Is that what you do @bungy? If so perhaps you can explain it better than me :D

I am glad I no longer have to deal with platform conversions they were a nightmare back then and there were no API's to deal with then.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Still tomtom being their usual inefficient and lazy selves though.

10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

To be honest I have looked at the screen shots and can't see anything that makes it look IOS ish....

11. bungy

bungy Funster

not the techie side!!!

I was dropped into a project to sort it out recently...just coming out of the other side now!!!

The app it self worked great on ios and android, but the amount of issues with windows was nuts, simple coding tasks in the other two turned into massive rethinks with windows, its structure is not very developer friendly so there isnt many developers doing much with it so most things has to be started from scratch...even ms were flumoxed with some of what we were doing saying....it should work:rolleyes:

Your russian/english analogy is spot on from what I can tell(y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

That sounds like my idea of hell @bungy My life got so much simpler after I stopped having to deal with the nightmare that is Microsoft.

• Like Like x 1
  13. richr

richr Funster

Glad i got rid of my Lumia phone so i am

Piece of c**p :)