Android box with koi and PVR recorder (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
To save from kodi I use a windows pc with kodi installed the select exodus go to settings for exodus enable record select a folder to save to
Select the film to record by left click and click download
Then I transfer to a USB hard drive to watch when away in van for those rainy days

Yes it's as illegal as hell and until I get a letter from god or the other guy
I shall be carrying on
But it's all ok as I hack the next door neighbours wifi

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Your internet service provider can tell.

A movie is probably about 4 -12GB depending on the quality.

A download of that size isn't likely to be anything else and they'll be able to see from the IP address of the server it's coming from whether or not it's a legitimate source.

That will be the one part of the crackdown when it happens: ISPs will start monitoring, when they find suspicious activity they will send you a letter to start with telling you to stop. If you don't they will be able to cut your connection off. A shared database somewhere of people who have been cut off would make it pretty hard for you to find another ISP.

The other part will be when they go after the delivery systems. Traders selling the modified boxes and fire sticks will be targeted. If you read my link in post #14 you will see that that's already starting.

The other phase of that will be to take action against the developers of Kodi itself on the grounds that they are promoting and facilitating piracy. That's exactly what happened with Napster in 2001. They lost the case, it cost them $26million to settle it and ultimately had to become a subscription based service. All the other similar music sharing services swiftly went the same way.
Actually the letters will be advisory & educational.
There is no agreement to sanction.

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-pirates-get-20-day-grace-period-after-each-warning-170125/
"Of course, it is pretty much irrelevant how many emails subscribers receive, as there’s no ‘stick’ involved. Even after more than a dozen warnings, ISPs are not handing down any penalties or punishments as part of the “Get It Right” campaign."

They've even given up with the "Six Strikes" in th USA
https://torrentfreak.com/the-us-six-strikes-anti-piracy-scheme-is-dead-170128/

Of course this doesn't mean one should pirate :whistle:
And of course, if you value your privacy, use a VPN provider who doesn't keep logs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Yet (y)

And of course, if you value your privacy, use a VPN provider who doesn't keep logs.

That's pretty pointless in this case. A VPN won't help you hide from your own ISP, you're connecting via their servers whatever your IP address says. A VPN is only good for masking you from the server you're ultimately connecting to and even then most of them won't stand up to more than a casual check.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well yes - but "yet" in this instance means a minimum of three years [a lifetime in technology terms]

That's pretty pointless in this case. A VPN won't help you hide from your own ISP, you're connecting via their servers whatever your IP address says. A VPN is only good for masking you from the server you're ultimately connecting to and even then most of them won't stand up to more than a casual check.
I disagree - pick a good VPN and they will retain no logs
Your traffic is then routed via those servers - all your ISP will see is the VPN IP and the amount of data, not the original source of it, nor the content.

No doubt, in due course, I will see if I get an email :whistle: :sneaky: :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Your internet service provider can tell.

A movie is probably about 4 -12GB depending on the quality.

A download of that size isn't likely to be anything else and they'll be able to see from the IP address of the server it's coming from whether or not it's a legitimate source.

That will be the one part of the crackdown when it happens: ISPs will start monitoring, when they find suspicious activity they will send you a letter to start with telling you to stop. If you don't they will be able to cut your connection off. A shared database somewhere of people who have been cut off would make it pretty hard for you to find another ISP.

The other part will be when they go after the delivery systems. Traders selling the modified boxes and fire sticks will be targeted. If you read my link in post #14 you will see that that's already starting.

The other phase of that will be to take action against the developers of Kodi itself on the grounds that they are promoting and facilitating piracy. That's exactly what happened with Napster in 2001. They lost the case, it cost them $26million to settle it and ultimately had to become a subscription based service. All the other similar music sharing services swiftly went the same way.
Yes but what is the difference between just watching it or recording it, surely they can't tell that?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes but what is the difference between just watching it or recording it, surely they can't tell that?

I see your point. The data transfer is different.

If you were streaming a 2 hour film for example there would be a steady flow of data for most of the whole 2 hours.

If you were downloading it on the other hand it would be a much quicker transfer, perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.

If they don't already have monitoring capability writing the code to tell the difference and also whether the data is coming from a legitimate source or not isn't difficult. There are plenty of 14 year olds out there who could do it (y)

If they really wanted to most ISPs could probably shut major downloaders down under their current fair usage policies without the need for any new regs or laws. They probably won't of course until someone makes an issue of it but they have the mechanisms in place.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Actually the letters will be advisory & educational.

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-pirates-get-20-day-grace-period-after-each-warning-170125/
"Of course, it is pretty much irrelevant how many emails subscribers receive, as there’s no ‘stick’ involved. Even after more than a dozen warnings, ISPs are not handing down any penalties or punishments as part of the “Get It Right” campaign."

They've even given up with the "Six Strikes" in th USA
https://torrentfreak.com/the-us-six-strikes-anti-piracy-scheme-is-dead-170128/

Of course this doesn't mean one should pirate :whistle:

VPN providers are legally required to keep logs, as with all ISPs, who are collectively referred to as Communications Service Providers. Here is a sample https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ns-data-from-communications-service-providers

Having seen many of these in my line of work, they are usually accompanied by a dire warning that it is a criminal offence to disclose its existence to any third parties, include the suspects

@NickNic has put it very succinctly, at the moment streaming and recording (as described in my earlier posts) is legal. The ISPs are under pressure, kodi is very exposed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Kodi is arguably more exposed than Napster ever was.

Napster had an obvious potential use to allow the sharing of non-copyrighted material. OK that wasn't what Shawn Fanning built it for but that's not the point. There was a genuine use for it that didn't infringe copyright.

I can't see any way that the same could be argued about Kodi. It appears to me to be completely useless for anything other than accessing pirated video streams.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
VPN providers are legally required to keep logs, as with all ISPs, who are collectively referred to as Communications Service Providers. Here is a sample https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ns-data-from-communications-service-providers
That surely only applies to UK located VPN's & ISPs ???
Appreciate that many other countries will have similar regulations & statutes - but not all, not every one... or are you telling me otherwise?
I'm not totally naive, inasmuch I'm sure the government could monitor my internet use if it really really wanted to - but I'm not convinced I'm worth their time, effort or resources.
Anyway, I now know a good lawyer :giggler:.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Kodi is arguably more exposed than Napster ever was.

Napster had an obvious potential use to allow the sharing of non-copyrighted material. OK that wasn't what Shawn Fanning built it for but that's not the point. There was a genuine use for it that didn't infringe copyright.

I can't see any way that the same could be argued about Kodi. It appears to me to be completely useless for anything other than accessing pirated video streams.
Can you or anyone else, tell me what do these people make out of such things as kodi, no adverts, no sign up , no nothing as far as I can see, why do they do it, and how do they afford it, and risk prosecution into the bargain?(n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can you or anyone else, tell me what do these people make out of such things as kodi, no adverts, no sign up , no nothing as far as I can see, why do they do it, and how do they afford it, and risk prosecution into the bargain?(n)

Most of the time things like Kodi and Napster start off as hobby projects for developers. They are often students or junior developers working on their own time, Napster was created by a student at Northeastern University so he could share music with his friends and it took off from there. Kodi and its XBMC and XBMP predecessors seem to have been created by a group of people but I can't find any details about them which is often the case with open source projects. They could be anyone although I'd suspect most of them have other highly paid software development jobs and just have Kodi as their hobby/side project. You have to remember that Kodi is open source so the base code for it is available to anyone to work on/tweak/improve. The etiquette for that sort of project is usually that if you make an improvement or change to the core app you share it with everyone else and nobody makes money from it. If you look on the Kodi website you can see that you can make a donation to the project if you want to. This is the traditional way that users of open source projects show their appreciation for the work of the developers.

Whoever they are they hide behind something called the XBMC Foundation which is US registered as a not for profit. Their original intension would not have been to create something to facilitate illegal piracy but like what happens with a lot of things their project has been hijacked. When the serious crackdown happens in the US they will end up being forced to either change Kodi so the illegal streams can't be accessed or shut it down altogether.

There are a couple of main ways projects like this make money if they choose to.

The first one is to sell advertising space on their site or app.

The second, and by far the most lucrative, method is from data harvesting. When you have to sign up for access you have to provide various details. Your online activity These details are sold on to advertisers so they can target advertising to you. Data harvesting is a colossal global industry, it's how Google has made its money. One example of how it works: I don't know if you use Facebook but if you do you may have noticed that if you browse shopping sites or even eBay when you next visit Facebook you will see adverts for the last products you looked at. Google collects this data and sells it to the advertisers who pay Facebook for it to appear on your page. Facebook has made Mark Zuckerburg a billionaire by selling advertising space and the personal information about its users.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most of the time things like Kodi and Napster start off as hobby projects for developers. They are often students or junior developers working on their own time, Napster was created by a student at Northeastern University so he could share music with his friends and it took off from there. Kodi and its XBMC and XBMP predecessors seem to have been created by a group of people but I can't find any details about them which is often the case with open source projects. They could be anyone although I'd suspect most of them have other highly paid software development jobs and just have Kodi as their hobby/side project. You have to remember that Kodi is open source so the base code for it is available to anyone to work on/tweak/improve. The etiquette for that sort of project is usually that if you make an improvement or change to the core app you share it with everyone else and nobody makes money from it. If you look on the Kodi website you can see that you can make a donation to the project if you want to. This is the traditional way that users of open source projects show their appreciation for the work of the developers.

Whoever they are they hide behind something called the XBMC Foundation which is US registered as a not for profit. Their original intension would not have been to create something to facilitate illegal piracy but like what happens with a lot of things their project has been hijacked. When the serious crackdown happens in the US they will end up being forced to either change Kodi so the illegal streams can't be accessed or shut it down altogether.

There are a couple of main ways projects like this make money if they choose to.

The first one is to sell advertising space on their site or app.

The second, and by far the most lucrative, method is from data harvesting. When you have to sign up for access you have to provide various details. Your online activity These details are sold on to advertisers so they can target advertising to you. Data harvesting is a colossal global industry, it's how Google has made its money. One example of how it works: I don't know if you use Facebook but if you do you may have noticed that if you browse shopping sites or even eBay when you next visit Facebook you will see adverts for the last products you looked at. Google collects this data and sells it to the advertisers who pay Facebook for it to appear on your page. Facebook has made Mark Zuckerburg a billionaire by selling advertising space and the personal information about its users.

Not on Facebook but have found the same thing happens on here, re adverts.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I can't answer that so we should be very worried because there's usually £££$$$ lurking somewhere.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I can't answer that so we should be very worried because there's usually £££$$$ lurking somewhere.

It really does appear that Kodi/XBMC/XBMP is a genuine open source project.

The Foundation is definitely registered as not for profit and in the US if you take the piss out of that sort of status you go to prison.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It really does appear that Kodi/XBMC/XBMP is a genuine open source project.

The Foundation is definitely registered as not for profit and in the US if you take the piss out of that sort of status you go to prison.

Of course The Big One, Linux is.

But what does not for profit mean ? Can I set up a not for profit, sell my incredible WonderApp for £1m a year and pay my wages of, you guessed, £1m a year. No profit, just legit expenses.

I believe there are many "charities" with a special breed of high living Yank charity lawyers out there, kidding people they are donating to a non profit organisation. I did check one, my wife wasted some ££ on them, until I showed her the sea front house the boss was living in and even I could see from the accounts there was only one beneficiary from this charity. Charity begins at home, doesn't it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Of course The Big One, Linux is.

But what does not for profit mean ? Can I set up a not for profit, sell my incredible WonderApp for £1m a year and pay my wages of, you guessed, £1m a year. No profit, just legit expenses.

I believe there are many "charities" with a special breed of high living Yank charity lawyers out there, kidding people they are donating to a non profit organisation. I did check one, my wife wasted some ££ on them, until I showed her the sea front house the boss was living in and even I could see from the accounts there was only one beneficiary from this charity. Charity begins at home, doesn't it.

Not for profit is not the same a a charity.

You'd have to ask an American tax lawyer or accountant about your other points (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back