Andorra - is it worth a detour? (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're currently in the French Pyrenees (crossed over today whilst doing a mountain road) and not far from the Spanish border and will be going back into Spain tomorrow, as we tootle along we'll pass within a few km of Andorra in a couple of days so ... is it worth a detour, is there anything there worth going for, or should we avoid it at all costs?

Advice please!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I think it's definitely worth a detour, especially if you avoid the tunnel and go via El Pas de la Casa. It's quite high with some sharp bends but a good wide road. The views are fantastic. Once you get near the centre of Andorra La Vella you might struggle to park a motorhome so you may want to carry on and drive through rather than partake in the shopping experience. You may have to queue a bit to get in or out, depends on how active the customs are feeling that day.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not done it for a year or two ,cheap booze n cigs etc wild camped by the ski lifts at pas del la casa and had spectacular thunder and lightning show with no rain ,Andora la ville very busy ,and hard to find parking .
But as I said a year or two back .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you like a bargain it's worth the detour, particularly if you're just a few km away.
The shopping centre is huge but busy - imagine Christmas Eve at 10.00am, certainly an experience....
I quite enjoyed the madness, it's surreal since the place is quite remote, folk must travel from miles around !
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
definately worth the drive as said scenery perfect . bit early to see the sking . but be warned dont take loads of french wine in or out . dont fill loads of fuel cans as customs both sides spain or france dont like it . buy a bit . have a good look around . its very pretty . i would do it every time i,m going that way . even the drive up is fantastic . might think your van is losing power the roads at times look flat but are steep. its still one of those drives you have to do.
when you leave andorra on the n45 after awhile turn left on then250 there is a good park up as you reach martinet.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3...4!1sxntVNAik9U4ri1UNk6PNdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Arrive at afternoon, often queues to get out in the afternoon. Leave in morning when everyone queuing to get in.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was going to add miss it, we last went over 30 years ago, high expectations, but what a dive and we got food poisoning to add to the experience

But I am strangely drawn back to check it out again, we don't smoke but do have the odd glass of falling own stuff :)

will maybe give it another go (y)

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We really enjoyed Andorra once we passed through Andorra La Vella and left the main trade route. Personally, didn't like the capital - difficult to park and felt very seedy and dirty.

The moutains views and villages are really nice. We spent time in Ordino on a small aire attached to a spa complex. Ordino GPS Position: 42.555916, 1.532630. Beautiful walks, nice village and great spa. I cant remember the exact price of the day spa but think it was only about £10 and you could come and go as you pleased.

El Serrat is nice this time of year. The drive to the top passed tobacco plantations was lovely and very scenic. Out of ski season, so we parked and slept at the bottom of the ski slope El Serrat GPS Position: 42.631840, 1.501141

We drove over the peaks, Pas de la Casa and once again, stunning views.Pas de la Casa GPS Position: 42.540494, 1.718001. However, once over the top we didnt much care for the villages just full of duty free shops. Good for stocking up on cheap booze but not for staying over.

Hope that helps and have a great trip whatever you decide x

On route to Ordino

IMG_3191.JPG

Last edited:

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Not worth the hassle, it is just a shopping centre.
Views good on the road, I had to stop a few times to take them in.
But no better than found elsewhere to me.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would say on balance you should go. The views are stunning, and you feel a bit adventurous visiting a place that sells you stuff without tax. So your a smuggler for the day lol

The authorities can be a pain on the way out, checking every vehicle so there is no point buying more than your allowance

If you go you will see what all the fuss is about and then, probably, like me you' ll say

Been there, done it, wouldn't bother to go again

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Went there last month on my way to Barcelona, didn't intend to but I was running low on diesel and fuel stations are few and far between and I knew there would be one there. The climb up was 'challenging' for my old van and she was getting a bit warm (I don't think the rad fans were working) so I drove through the tunnel, U -turned at the other end before the toll booths and drove back - lovely, cooled me and the van down.

As for the town I was shocked - just a multi-coloured concrete shopping centre.

The fuel station is past the 'town' set into the mountain side, diesel 86 cents a litre, staff very friendly.

There was space to park with the other MHs but I'm not a shopper.

No queues at the customs, not stopped going in or out (French side)... as for the views...the same as any mountain views and if your driving your mind should be on the road and getting your gear changes right on the way up!

Oh and I carry a spare can of diesel now...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Been there once a month when I was a smoker and for years (Toulouse is about 165 kms from there), and I find the city itself ugly and dirty , which isn't helped by the roofs' colour, which is mainly grey.
Of course the scenery on the way is stunning, like everywhere in the mountains.
And it's worth a visit if you're a smoker or enjoy alcohol! But the number of bottles is limited just as the number of ciggies is.

A few pin bents but coaches go there so if you have a reliable engine, it's fine. On your way down, don't forget you should use 1) same gear you went up in, and 2) use your engine brake.

http://www.hola-andorra.com/arinsal/francais/douanes.html

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is quite a large aire near the town centre but takes a bit of finding, must be in some app or something because we found it, but that is a year or two ago.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
There is quite a large aire near the town centre but takes a bit of finding, must be in some app or something because we found it, but that is a year or two ago.

It's a campsite behind the sports stadium. Its got all facilities including restaurant, shop and indoor pool. Think it's in the ACSI book.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks all for the replies, will discuss with hubby in the morning and decide whether to bother or not - neither of us smoke, I don't drink and hubby doesn't drink a lot so not sure if its worth the 'hassle' or not for a bit of cheap diesel (saving swallowed up the the detour anyway) and a bit of cheap booze especially as the allowances are on the low side anyway ...

http://www.andorramania.uk/duty-free-allowance-andorra/

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I would say on balance you should go. The views are stunning, and you feel a bit adventurous visiting a place that sells you stuff without tax. So your a smuggler for the day lol

The authorities can be a pain on the way out, checking every vehicle so there is no point buying more than your allowance

If you go you will see what all the fuss is about and then, probably, like me you' ll say

Been there, done it, wouldn't bother to go again
Snap must be done but once is enough

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
do it

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks all for the replies, will discuss with hubby in the morning and decide whether to bother or not - neither of us smoke, I don't drink and hubby doesn't drink a lot so not sure if its worth the 'hassle' or not for a bit of cheap diesel (saving swallowed up the the detour anyway) and a bit of cheap booze especially as the allowances are on the low side anyway ...

http://www.andorramania.uk/duty-free-allowance-andorra/
the drive up is worth it .
just drive slow look around . shame its not closer to being snowy . but forget the not so nice parts . the scenery alone is worth it .
there is cheap fuel just inside the border on the right .
but its not about cheap anything its about looking at the scenery.
been doing it since first going there with my parents in the early 60,s . the switch backs give you loads of views of the way from every angle . its like being in the italian job .
go slow enjoy the drive .
i only buy fuel on the way through but still love the views .
you will love it . i,m sure.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We're at La Seu d'Urgell in Spain, just south of Andorra, so the road we'd be going in on is the N145 - is this a good one?

Nov 22, 2015
Old Leake Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class & Panel van
Exp
since 2003
wouldn't bother going back, expensive campsite, lots of concrete no real duty free bargains, prepare to be searched by French customs when you leave (fags and Booze)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well you will be heading back to france . and passed martinet already but if going back to france yes go north and enjoy the drive . be very careful after andorra . its safe but go slowly .
i have gone back that way but usually go that way the other way. on the way down . . but its worth it . head north then head east, its really follow the main road.
i thought you might be heading down , but go on enjoy the drive . hope you have clear sky .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you leave andorra and head to Toulouse there really is loads of nice parking places on the way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just remember to stick to the customs limit especially going into France..Sometimes when Customs Post is shut they pull you down the road in a lay by,,,BUSBY,,

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Andorra is a complete shithole. Hour to get in. 3 hours to get out. It's filthy dirty.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well we went today, travelled North on the N145 arrived late morning - we sailed past the E.LeClerc and River shops heading for the La Valle d after going round and round the one-way system I asked a lady if there was a large shopping mall ... in French as she didn't speak English! :p She told me to go with her office just round the corner and we had a little chat on the way in French of course ... quite proud that I understood her and she actually understood me!!! :D Once there she gave me a plan of where the tourist office was so I could go and ask them as she didn't know of any large shopping malls/outlets. In the end we decided that there simply want a large 'mall' type outlet which is what I think off as a shopping centre so instead headed back down the N145 (South) to the E.LeClerc shop, stopping at the BP fuel station on the way for diesel at 86.5c a litre, managing to get 82 litres in as we have a long range tank which takes 120 litres (y).

Once at LeClerc we purchased our 'legal' limit of alcohol and once back at the camper we had a bit of lunch as it was now around 1.30 pm, then we decided to go back in and have a 'peruse' of the wares on offer on the upper floors - spent the magnificent sum of €1,70 on a new washing line and €2 on a small tap connector as we couldn't find ours when we needed it for one of our fill-ups ... big spenders eh! :) Oh, we also re-visted the ground floor and bought a few more bottles the alcoholic kind :rolleyes: ... not saying how much or what but we safely stowed it all in various places in the camper out of sight before we came out of Andorra!! ;) As there was a horrendous thunder storm going on by the time we were finished we decided to give the 'scenic' route to France a miss because we wouldn't see any of the lovely scenery anyway and poor Lily was shivering and panting big-style in fear, so we exited the way we entered, back down (South) the N145 into Spain.

When we got to the border crossing we found that we needn't have worried about the 'other purchases' as, although we went through the 'declare' (red) route, no-one was bothered or stopped us, in fact they didn't even look at us as we went past! :)

We travelled East and the thunder storm continued for quite a while then we encountered sleet and hail for good measure! :eek: The camper temp gauge said it was 5 degrees and the mountains had a dusting of show on them!!! o_O ... it certainly felt cold when I got out to take some photos!!!! We are now safely ensconced on the aire at Sant Joan de Las Abadesses next to the medieval bridge and will have a shuftie at the town in the morning.

So we 'did' Andorra but I wouldn't go back again unless I wanted cheap fuel and alcohol, stopping at the LeCLerc shop and not go further! The fuel was cheap though at 86.5c a litre but believe it or not when we got to Ripoll (Spain) about 10km away from where we are now there was a fuel station there selling it at 86.9c a litre where everyone else we'd seen was over a euro ... don't know how/why it's so cheap but if you didn't want to go into Andorra just for fuel you could just go there!

Oh, Lily has now settled down after the thunder storm thank goodness, I just hope there aren't any more! :unsure:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Forgot to say above, no queues to get in at all, very little traffic, a very short queue to get out past the Andorra border control but I think it may have been due to a lorry just blocking the road, no queue at all at the Spanish border.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back