LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Clive. You are the second person to refer to "smaller rallies". I have seen the Chester show, which is fully booked. I cannot make the Newark show and the Funster club booking is full at the Peterborough show. When and where are these smaller rallies. I'm fueled up and ready to go ! David.

Hi David, I have put on another post for you that Chester are opening their bookingsagain if the weather stays dry worth keep checking , with them and the Chester thread. :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello David, I am sorry to hear of your loss but you have taken a first step to continuing on life's journey from the crossroads.... we will all be here for you when you need a friend, information and to share your experiences when you are ready.

Welcome friend.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I was about to say the same as Clive ! And don't forget if you like the look of one put you name on the reserve list even if it's booked up as there may be cancellations nearer the time.(y) Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello David, I'm so sorry for your loss. My partner died in a RTA, not involving our first motorhome, which we'd bought exactly a week earlier.
I sold that one without ever using it and it took 3 years to even think about another one. I'm really pleased I did. You'll always be able to get out and about, take off wherever you want and that's worth its weight in gold some days.
Keep an eye on the Rallies page, as you'll find several in a year you can visit I'm sure. You won't find more helpful people than Funsters. First rally I attended I managed to fall out of a motorhome -- totally sober too!-- and was taken to hospital with suspected broken foot. A lovely Funster came with me in the ambulance, my dogs were fed and walked for me too!

It takes time to recover from a loss, there are down days, some less down days, and eventually there are good days again. Hang in there.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, What smaller meets are you referring to and where are they posted ?
Hi David, by smaller meets I meant the meets that aren't part of a big motorhome show, keep an eye on the rally thread, also there are spontaneous 'get togethers' put up on the forum on a 'first come first served' basis. (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@David27 just seen on the Chester rally thread Tom emailed today and got a spot with the Funsters so check it out!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Anyone going to be around the West coast of Scotland after Easter. Heading that way myself for 8-9 days at Easter weekend and a little company would be appreciated.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The motorhome world will I'm sure help you get over your sad loss. You're doing the right thing getting out and about and doing things, and there's plenty of solo enthusiasts out there. Have you thought about getting a doggy companion? They're great company when you're on your own and also make sure you get plenty of necessary exercise!

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi David

Sorry for your loss and reading all these posts on here is so sad. At least you are determined to get on with life and thats a good thing. I am with a partner but he is not near retirement age (and does not really like Motor homing), so not wanting my MH to just sit on the drive I have today been looking at a website for lone travellers who are single/divorced/widowed or with partners who are non campers (like mine). I found this one if you want to have a look at it www.newcompanions.org.uk

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Thank you Giddy Lynn. I also found New Companions and became a member. I have only been to one small meet so far but the people I met were very friendly.

Montybe

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Lowline Mototrek
Exp
40 years on and off
Hi David,
Commiserations on joining the club none of us wanted to join. I was determined to continue to do those things we always planned to do, but she didn't make it. So I carry on doing the travelling just as we planned, but now alone, all over Europe but now in a new motorhome. Life is very strange and very different now and you learn new tricks and routines to get by. Silly things like paying tolls on the Autoroutes, keeping your stuff organised (no Wife's handbag anymore) shopping, planning, cooking etc as a single person, its a new life. Now jolly evenings in restaurants, trips to sites, beaches and loads of other things are very different.
But the best advice I was given?...... "Never turn down a fine invitation"!
Good luck.

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Hi Montybe, I agree with every word you say and thank you for the advice. It is very hard to carry on but unfortunately we don't have any choice. I joined MHF and particularly the Solo travellers forum in the hope that I would meet other people in the same situation and potentially forge new MH friendships, maybe even join up for trips in UK/Europe.
I am booked into Weymouth and Twin Lakes ( France ). Maybe I will meet you there. Best Regards David

May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
I lost my wife last October after 41 years of marriage. We had a wonderful summer last year in the UK in Cornwall and Wales but primarily bought the van to get away from the UK winter weather.
I thought I would sell the van as I did not want to travel alone, but , I love travelling, I love the van, so I did go down to Spain for Jan & Feb. I did enjoy the experience and I met a lot of nice people, mostly couples, but it was also very lonely at times.
I have joined this site to talk to and perhaps meet other people in a similar situation. You have to find a way to carry on and start a new life, Maybe I will sign up for a rally especially if I know there will be some solo travellers there.
Best wishes to you all. David
Hi David
I have just signed into this website. Like yourself I lost my wife in January 2015.
We had bought a new van ready for our retirement but , as is said " life happens when you are making plans" . I am in our van with my pal Tot the springer spaniel in Portugal , I decided to do this the hard way , that is just get into it. At times it has been very difficult but I have found that I can do it . I am planning to go to Morroco inJanuary, , if anyone would like to make up a ' convoy ' , so much the better
Chris

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Hi Chris63 and welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is. I will be in Spain in Jan/Feb so maybe Morroco could be possible. There is an established group called Snowbirds I think, that take in Morroco. Are you full time in Portugal ? Try to make one of the meets or rallies. Look at the events section. Anyway Best of Luck to you. David.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back