And then there was one !

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by David27, Mar 13, 2016.

1. David27

David27 Funster

I lost my wife last October after 41 years of marriage. We had a wonderful summer last year in the UK in Cornwall and Wales but primarily bought the van to get away from the UK winter weather.
    I thought I would sell the van as I did not want to travel alone, but , I love travelling, I love the van, so I did go down to Spain for Jan & Feb. I did enjoy the experience and I met a lot of nice people, mostly couples, but it was also very lonely at times.
    I have joined this site to talk to and perhaps meet other people in a similar situation. You have to find a way to carry on and start a new life, Maybe I will sign up for a rally especially if I know there will be some solo travellers there.
    Best wishes to you all. David

• Like Like x 28
  2. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

David, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you have continued to use your Moho. There are other solos and I'm sure they will be along to introduce themselves.
    Welcome to fun and if we are ever at the same rally, pop in for a cuppa and cake.

• Like Like x 2
  3. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

4. reckless

reckless Funster

Welcome David, sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.

We think it's a good decision to keep the moho and keep travelling. We understand how difficult it can be to be alone amongst couples no matter how friendly and welcoming they are.

We hope you'll continue to travel and make more friends, including some of the solo members on here.

5. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:

6. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Hi David I was the same after losing my wife after 45yrs marriage. However keeping the van and meeting up with like minded people couples and singles helped me turn my life around its bloody hard at times with the loneliness,but it does get easier..i lost my Kate nearly 4 yrs ago and am only just starting to get my life back together ,the best thing is my van and the people I have met not just on this forum but around the countryside as I tour with my van ..so try to get out and about but most of all make the effort to say hi to anyone you park alongside...it pays dividends Roy

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 15
  7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Welcome David and sorry for your loss. We all love the fact that you've decided to join Fun, as it's a place to kick back and connect with 1000's of other like minded folk. We've all got one thing in common and that's our motorhomes and a sense of travel and adventure :)

You'll meet lots of friends on the road and through this site, who'll help in anyway possible, just ask. Most Funsters are knowledgeable, handsome, intelligent and clever (like me :)) while others can only try to compete (all with tongue in cheek) :)

Keep being strong and keep travelling as it'll help heal and fill the time void too :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome. If your free easter get yourself booked onto the Chester meet. I still think there's room.

• Like Like x 5
  9. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN. (y)

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

• Like Like x 2
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. It was not quite appropriate to "like" your post but I did so for your positive attitude. There are a lot of solo travellers on here and you will never regret going to a meet - provided that you don't sit in the van all day. Everyone has time for a chat and willing to help out if needed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome

Liz

13. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and welcome David.
    So very sorry to hear of your loss and our thoughts are with you.
    You will find lots of help ,fun and information oh yes and some heated debates sometimes!! But that's what makes this a great forum and everyone ,whatever their circumstances is welcome.
    Hope to see you at a rally soon(Chester is our first one and we have joined in the quiz team and I'm rubbish at quizzes!! But it will be a great way to meet loads of people.):welcomesign:

14. David27

David27 Funster

Thank you all for your positive replies, advice taken onboard. I have tried to get into the Chester rally but it would appear to be fully booked. Hope to meet up with some of you soon. David

• Like Like x 2
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

@Carol @Techno

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcome4:

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Sorry to hear of your loss .

:welc:

18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to Fun, I am going to have a word with Chester tomorrow and will let you know if there are any places available with fun, so please check the thread tomorrow.

Sorry it is in sad circumstances for you to join it's a brave decision to keep on travelling but as you will find from the forum so much help information and camaraderie unlike any other motorhome forum I've come a cross. :welc:

• Like Like x 6
  19. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi David and welcome to fun, so sorry to hear of your loss but I'm sure your wife will be happy that your getting out and about in the van. Although I cant comprehend what your going through I lost my mum in January this year and my dad has taken it really bad but he is getting there slowly but still misses her as I do my self, they were married 50 years and together 54.
    He is actually away on holiday today with a friend of his who lost his wife a couple of years ago and it felt like I was packing a kid off on holiday as my dad had never packed a case before and he didn't have a clue what to take :).
    It all got a bit much for him and last night he said he wasn't going but after a wee talk I managed to convince him.
    Hope you have many fun times in your van

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. meakwooders

meakwooders Funster

Welcome. I hope you can get to Chester. It is my first rally as a solo too, although I have not been bereaved. I think there are a few of us.
    Karen

• Like Like x 1