And the second question that has to be asked. Silver screens????? (1 Viewer)

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We have just come back from a weeks tour around the Cotswolds. One of the sites we stayed at, to the right of us a Hymer A Class with a large silver screen covering the all the cab windows. It was attached to the van with enough rope to rig a sailing ship. Opposite, and to the other side of us, two van conversions. Again all of the cab windows were covered in silver screens. A bit further down from us a coachbuilt, again a silver screen covering the complete cab. In fact one coachbuilt even had a silver cover over all of the front of the vehicle. When were cosy engines a requirement in the Cotswolds? Not once were any of these screens taken off of the vans, in all the time we were there. I sat there with my cup of tea, with the sunshine pouring through our Motorhome windows, admiring the scenery, and thought why? We spent a lot of money on our Motorhome so we could sit in it and look out of the very large A Class windows at the scenery. It came installed with a heater to keep us warm in the cold. It has blinds which open and close to let the sunshine in, or the darkness out. On the very odd occasion we might get a tiny drop of condensation, a quick wipe with a cloth, and all gone. We never covered the front of our caravan when we were Tuggers, so please tell me, what would I want to cover the whole of the front of my Motorhome for? Or, having only been a motorhomer for two years, does something go on behind silver screens that only seasoned motorhomes know about!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Invaluable when it is very hot and the sun is beating down on the windscreen. We have internal screens as well but an external one is much better at keeping the interior cool.

But I've had a couple of nights on CC sites this week and I was the only one not using a screen!

However, on none A class MHs without blown air at the front they do reduce internal condensation a lot.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got a set of internal silver screens which we use in extreme cold weather but our RV windows are huge. We got the internal ones so we can easily remove them in the daytime so we can admire the views through the windows. We always try to park with the best view through the front screens and I can never understand why people want to block themselves in, it always reminds me of when we had a caravan and we'd watch other vans arrive, set up and put up their awnings, lock themselves in and not speak to anyone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have silver screens because we do get condensation otherwise in cold weather such as experienced lately. They are a set where the front can be rolled down though. When the weather isn't cold enough to cause condensation we don't use them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have just come back from a weeks tour around the Cotswolds. One of the sites we stayed at, to the right of us a Hymer A Class with a large silver screen covering the all the cab windows. It was attached to the van with enough rope to rig a sailing ship. Opposite, and to the other side of us, two van conversions. Again all of the cab windows were covered in silver screens. A bit further down from us a coachbuilt, again a silver screen covering the complete cab. In fact one coachbuilt even had a silver cover over all of the front of the vehicle. When were cosy engines a requirement in the Cotswolds? Not once were any of these screens taken off of the vans, in all the time we were there. I sat there with my cup of tea, with the sunshine pouring through our Motorhome windows, admiring the scenery, and thought why? We spent a lot of money on our Motorhome so we could sit in it and look out of the very large A Class windows at the scenery. It came installed with a heater to keep us warm in the cold. It has blinds which open and close to let the sunshine in, or the darkness out. On the very odd occasion we might get a tiny drop of condensation, a quick wipe with a cloth, and all gone. We never covered the front of our caravan when we were Tuggers, so please tell me, what would I want to cover the whole of the front of my Motorhome for? Or, having only been a motorhomer for two years, does something go on behind silver screens that only seasoned motorhomes know about!
At last someone who has the same view as us on TVs and silver screens(y)
I have posted the same sentiments about these screens and been shot down many times(y):)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Maybe the occupants were out during the day??

I can tell you that once you have used SilverScreens in cold weather you will NEVER go without them. They make the van warmer and eliminate cold draughts completely. If you really only get a tiny drop of condensation now then you are either very lucky or not really out in cold weather.

I too used to wonder what all the fuss was about .............. until I bought some SilverScreens ............ used them ever since (y)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We get lots of condensation if we don't use our screens, but the front rolls down with a privacy screen that we can see through. People can't see in tho, which is good if I want to change without shutting the blinds. - useful in a PVC!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
They definitely do make our bus warmer and stop any draughts. I relined our front curtains with thermal lining which has made a massive difference which is why I think we only use the screens in really cold weather.

We did use them in France in the summer last year to reflect away the burning midday sun which made the bus more comfortable as I don't like using the aircon because it's like walking into a fridge!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Maybe the occupants were out during the day??

I can tell you that once you have used SilverScreens in cold weather you will NEVER go without them. They make the van warmer and eliminate cold draughts completely. If you really only get a tiny drop of condensation now then you are either very lucky or not really out in cold weather.

I too used to wonder what all the fuss was about .............. until I bought some SilverScreens ............ used them ever since (y)
Ditto. We are very new to the MH scene and used the MH solidly for 3 weeks putting up with a lot of condensation – far too cold to have vents open and two dogs didn’t help, and a draught from the cab area. At the beginning of Jan, I bought the silver screens and apart from 2 nights in lay-bys and car parks – for security reasons, use them all the time and now and wouldn’t be without. Not sure about keeping cool as I haven’t had the MH in the Summer time and I have large over cab bed area which will screen the windscreen.(y) I do roll the front down to look out and people watch etc, but put it back up as the day wears on and gets cooler. No condensation and no draughts.(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have had silver screens in the past but the last two motorhomes have had good internal blinds so we have not bothered. Condensation not a problem with adequate heating and ventilation.
external silver screens are a extra job to do when moving off and an unpleasant one when wet. I like to be in a position to move off without going outside the mh in an aire or wildcamp.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Silverscreens are often much misunderstood ..................

The external ones keep the glass at the same temperature as the inside, internal ones keep the glass at the same temperature as the outside. If you really want to eliminate condensation then external ones are the only choice (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Or, having only been a motorhomer for two years, does something go on behind silver screens that only seasoned motorhomes know about!

See Funster Rallies - Doggin.
Next one is the in Forest of Dean, great fun for all ages - sign up now, places are restricted but there are special consideration given for the under 50's
You are expected to provide your own silver screens. --------------------:Eeek::mask::mask::Eeek:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Or, having only been a motorhomer for two years, does something go on behind silver screens that only seasoned motorhomes know about!

See Funster Rallies - Swop meet.
Next one is the in Forest of Dean, great fun for all ages - sign up now, places are restricted but there are special consideration given for the under 50's
You are expected to provide your own silver screens.
--------------------:Eeek::mask::mask::Eeek:

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Chockswahay is spot on.
When the outside air temperature is much lower than the inside and especially when you have been cooking or using overnight heating any moisture in the van will condence on the inside of the window.
I have found that a lot of condensation builds up on the inside of the windscreen when using internal blinds and can run down behind the dashboard.
There are a lot of electronics down there and beibg 7nside are not classed in automotive terms as a wet area hence all the electrics are unpritected from water ingress and corrosion WILL occur over time.
There are threads on here about Ducato dashboard displays dimming and even disappearing requiring expensive replacement. Ok if you are under warranty, sad if you have to pay yourself.
Insulated exterior Silver screens stop all this by keeping the front windows at a lesser temperature differential and reducing even stopping condensation completely, this not only saves time mopping up the water that you can see but ptotecting the areas that you cant see.
All very good but silver screens are a pain to dry out and if you pay out for good ones you can pull the front middle section down to admire the view and nosey at novices trying to park caravans!!!
If you do not suffer with condensation in the UK then you are lucky.
In summer they are invaluable keeping the van cool by reflecting strong sunlight.
It's one of those personal choice things.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same for us. Use them all the time. They prevent even the slightest hint of condensation. With 2 or 3 people and 2 dogs in the van the temperature inside is almost always higher than outside so without them it always fogs up. If we're somewhere hot then they help keep the van cool inside.

We can pull the main front section down if we want to see out but rarely do because we don't tend to spend any time shut in the van. When we're somewhere with scenery worth looking at we're outside exploring it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use ours all the time too. Wouldn't consider not putting them on. If we want to look out of the front window we can pull the centre down.
Removing them when wet isn't too much of a problem. (An A class screen may be a bigger issue). It's just a matter of technique.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If we pull up at an aire, we put the screens on as its getting dark. They keep the cold out and heat in during winter and the heat out and cool in during summer. With two of us and two dogs, there is a lot of condensation on cold days. Taking them off and putting them on takes seconds and if they are wet, they dry out quickly under the bed next to the boiler.
We generally have the cab seats swivelled round and either sit on these or the side sofas. We have two large side windows to look out of, but most of the day time we spend outside anyway.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have changed from using a C class to A class motorhome and there seems to be a difference in condensation levels which are now much lower. That may be because the Alde heating in the A class has a radiator at the front of the dashboard which keeps the screen warmer at night, whereas the nearest outlet for the Truma heating in the C class was behind the drivers seat, so the windscreen was a lot colder.

There is still some condensation but it appears to be a lot less than before and I find it is very easily removed with the Karcher vacuum window cleaner I now have (thanks to @Mike B and @Dawn B for the demonstration). So do I spend 5 to 10 minutes in the cold outside putting the Hymer screen on? Or 1 minute in the morning in the warm using the Karcher? Seems a no-brainer to me. So far I have not used the screen at all.

But things may change when we take the new motorhome for its first long trip to Italy (via Switzerland) next week. We will be taking both the Karcher and the screen with us to cover all the bases!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Probably make more use of silver screens in summer in France to keep cool. With many A class your only living area is the front. U shape lounges enable you to position so you get the best views from there. Agreed on CC sites where the dreaded peg comes into play then you may lose the front view, but to be honest very few sites have such brilliant views, most of the time you look on others vans/caravans. We tend to be out in the day anyway, so leaving them up not a problem for us, and from the sound of it a few others.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have ALL fallen for it :eek: @The DATeam entered the room, took the pin out of the grenade, put the grenade on the floor and left the room :rolleyes:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
This is just our personal experience and is not intended to be "advice" to anyone else. We do not camp in very cold conditions so the odd morning in UK or northern Spain it may be something like minus 2. Under these conditions there will be some condensation on the inside of the windscreen which takes but a few minutes to wipe off and also gives the inside of the screen a clean, so we do not bother with silver screens either internal or external. In addition our blown air heating keeps the van totally snug if we are at home in the evenings.
To the people who use screens and have no condensation in the morning maybe they need to think "where is it"? The moisture that condenses on the inside of a screen overnight comes from the people sleeping in the van and any residual cooking / kettle boiling. This happens no matter if you have screens or not. The difference is that with no screens the moisture is on the windscreen waiting to be wiped off and disposed of while for those with screens it is in all the bedding and soft furnishings in the van. Stands back and waits for howls of protest from the silver screeners.......

The Tincas

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good point the Tincas, but ..... I don't think it as simple as that. The moisture will remain in the air until it meets a surface which is below the dew point Forgot what temperature that is - but it is quite low). As long as the bedding etc is above that temperature there should be no condensation on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back