And so the adventure begins... (1 Viewer)

Miss Pamie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail
Exp
A very new newbie
Hello to all. We are picking up our new (to us) MH tomorrow. Its our first one. It'll be me driving it and i'm not the most confident of drivers. We're booked into a very small private campsite for 1 night on Sunday just to 'sus' things out.

What advice can anyone offer?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my tip..

getting stuck is not a good way to start your first night.. so
don't drive onto a soft wet grass pitch .. if it looks suspect, walk on it first..

good luck.. adventure awaits :cool:

and welcome to Fun :D

OP
OP
M

Miss Pamie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail
Exp
A very new newbie
great advice. The weather up North over the weekend isn't supposed to be that nice, fingers crossed tough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
First time I went to a campsite, I wanted to plug in of course for some light and fridge mainly. So took my electric cable, and went to plug in .... but I should have had an adaptor. I don't know if it's the same in the UK , but I had no other solution but to use gas instead, well at least for the fridge!
Edit! Do be careful with the number of answers you're giving! You're only allowed 5 posts if you don't want to subscribe

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
So long as you have the very basics: food, bed clothes, washing things etc I would not go on a buying spree until you have had a few nights in the van and know what you actually need and where it will all go. Most of us seasoned motorhomers have garages and spare bedrooms full of things that are rarely if ever used.

When you have your new van handover take a notebook with you and write down anything that is not obvious or you are likely to forget. Make sure you ask if things are not clear; you've paid for the handover as part of the price of the van so don't skimp it. I have heard of people video-ing it or recording it even. Remember that most of us are very friendly and more than willing to talk about our obsession so, if you don't know what to do, knock on the door of the nearest van and ask.

Enjoy your new life and welcome to the forum.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't be embarrassed about having your first night on the drive at home! But if going to a site make sure you understand how the heating works and you can fill it with water.

Corkscrew, bottle of wine (or two :whistle:) and glasses and you will be fine.

Internet access so you can send an SOS here also very useful.

Enjoy and welcome!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, don't be afraid to ask questions, this is a great site for all and any Motorhome related things and those that are not and you might even get a good answer. :whistle::whistle::)

Reactions: DBK
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@Miss Pamie How much you need to know will depend on what you have done before. Are you converting from caravanning?

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, by the end of tomorrow you will need:
At least one bottle of gas.
A means of filling the fresh water tank (hose pipe, watering can, some can even be filled with a bucket!)
Ideally a 25m Electric Hook Up cable. If you can park on your own drive, then get an adapter so that you can plug it in at home too.

With any luck, all the above (with the exception of the adapter) will be included, but do check!

Oh, and most importantly, a subscription to this site! It will save you a fortune by pointing you in the right direction. Then it will cost you a fortune by making you aware of all those essential items that you didn't even know existed! :D:D

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Suggest at this time of year - and especially with the weekend weather forecast - try to pitch on hard-standing. Ground (grass) is much too soft at the moment, especially if you're not used to the weight of a motorhome and the lack of traction in slippery conditions.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've usually found that most newbies (as I did) have issues with a couple of items. Heating and fridge. Make sure you know how they turn on and off correctly . Fridge, that it works as it should on all 3 ways. Battery, mains but most importantly, gas. Read your particular instructions to start fridge and that it works properly. Mine has a small dial that shows its working on gas as the level is in the green. This level only works in gas mode.
Heating, water and blown air. Make sure gas is on (OK, as for the fridge), outside cover off. Water in system and water primed through taps etc. Turn on boiler. My particular one stays green if all good but partial red if starting failed. If green stays on then should get warm in 30 mins or so. Blown air, just put fan on. If in quiet surroundings then clicks will be heard.
Personally, once you've mastered these two essentials, then anything else comes along, well at least you'll be warm and your fridge cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back