Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We're off the France in July so been checking out ferry bookings and discounts today and amazed at the differences. Travelling Dover Calais and return with our RV which is 9m long with the bike rack and 3.2m high plus 2 adults and 2 dogs. Travelling out Friday morning and returning Friday early afternoon following week. We have to travel by ferry as engine runs on LPG otherwise I'd go euro tunnel.

DFDS
£352 inc 10% off

P&O
£424 inc free upgrade to flexi ticket

Camping & Caravan Club using P&O same crossing times as through P&O direct
£235.32 with Ste discount OR
£208.31 inc ACSI books/card and camping ID card
Booked via a real person on the phone instead of Internet and already had the other prices ready as a comparison.

Obviously no brainer which option I booked! Not only got the ACSI books/cards which I'll use over this year and hadn't already purchased but the saving also more than pays for the c&cc membership.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We use frequent Traveller scheme with the Eurotunnel. I does not matter what the size of your MH is, at a cost of £110 return any time of the year!

colyboy

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We use frequent Traveller scheme with the Eurotunnel. I does not matter what the size of your MH is, at a cost of £110 return any time of the year!

colyboy

We used to always use euro tunnel but can't now we have the RV as they wont allow vehicles that have engines run on LPG so had to switch to the ferry. will switch back if we change the vehicle in the future.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We used to always use euro tunnel but can't now we have the RV as they wont allow vehicles that have engines run on LPG so had to switch to the ferry. will switch back if we change the vehicle in the future.

Surely its main source of fuel is petrol so wouldn't you put that down for traveling the tunnel.

Or if you're gas tank was nearly empty would that be ok for the tunnel.

Just a thought :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Surely its main source of fuel is petrol so wouldn't you put that down for traveling the tunnel.

Or if you're gas tank was nearly empty would that be ok for the tunnel.

Just a thought :)
No.
It says quite plainly that if there is lpg supplied to fuel engine they will not accept you.
No idea why? perhaps because it isn't possible to turn off the lpg from tank ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What a bizarre stance to take, Im guessing you have lorries carrying all sorts of potential hazards yet a fuel in a tank is banned.

Would it be acceptable if a fuel stop tap was fitted, just wondered.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
What a bizarre stance to take, Im guessing you have lorries carrying all sorts of potential hazards yet a fuel in a tank is banned.

Would it be acceptable if a fuel stop tap was fitted, just wondered.
Specifically vehicles powered by LPG are not allowed on the train.
Vehicles carrying all sorts of potential hazards?
Most vehicles that have orange plates fitted would probably not be allowed anyway as certainly gas cylinders and tankers aren't. Those types (except probably on certain routes) are not allowed on passenger ferries either. I used to regularly go to Belgium with nominally empty cylinders and we weren't allowed. We had to use Cobelfret from Immingham to Zeebrugge.
All vehicles are 'potentially' hazardous but Eurotunnel do not allow vehicles powered by gas, no matter how you cut it, it's not allowed. Those who travel by train see the sign regularly. No ifs or buts.
Petrol technically is more hazardous but gas is banned.
It's their train, their stance and from experience in the gas industry, a good stance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We had the same problem , odd thing is it's ok on a ferry and a leaking LPG tank into the bilges of a ferry could cause a real problem.
The set up on my RVs when ignition was off so was LPG tank valve so imo no more risk than normal domestic LPG tank.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When in the ferry industry we allowed LPG vehicles with the tank isolated. Gas bottles, two max, were permitted in a dedicated locker. Loose bottles not permitted. Bike racers would arrive with methanol fuel in cans, not permitted either. Biggest culprits were trucks with bootleg diesel in 210 litre drums, instant arrest if we found them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back