An Excellent CS Campsite with Fishing Lake in Tetford, Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Funsters , I just had to share this with you, especially if you like coarse fishing or little campsites off the beaten track.

We discovered a super little Caravan & Camping CS, which we came across by chance when attending a day out in the little Lincolnshire village of Tetford during their recent scarecrow weekend.

Whilst ambling around this charming village admiring all the scarecrows that the local residents had made and had on show in their gardens, we stopped off for a bite to eat and a drink at a super restaurant called "The Lakeside Restaurant" and discovered that there was a 5 pitch Caravan & Camping Club CS Campsite adjacent to the restaurant and the beautiful fishing lake which this restaurant overlooks. My husband loves fishing and so when he realised there was a little campsite next door and it only being 20 miles from our home in the seaside resort of Skegness, he thought it would make an ideal break when we didn't fancy travelling too far. http://www.tetfordcountrycottages.co.uk

We are actually still staying on this campsite as I write this review and we are here with my brother, his wife and their little girl. We're here for the May 2014 spring bank holiday week.

We both own 30 foot motorhomes and have not encountered any difficulties with access onto the site. Both the entrance to the campsite and the campsite itself can easily accommodate even the largest of motorhomes and RV's and as it's a large spacious CS, you are not all pitched on top of each other, even when all 5 pitches are taken.

The owners are a lovely couple and have made us feel very welcome, telling us we could pitch wherever we liked. No hard and fast rules which we like, which is unlike many larger sites seem to adopt these days.

The restaurant next door is superb and is leased to a lovely young couple who only took it on last year. Their home cooked food is wonderful and excellent value for money. We arrived on Friday and that night was their "Fishy Friday" special menu. This comprised of a ginormous piece of haddock in batter, homemade rustic chips and garden peas with a jug of creamy tartare sauce, plus a full 75cl bottle of wine (a choice of white, red or rose was offered) all this for only £14.00 for 2 people! We were blown away by the price, as even our local fish and chip takeaway costs £12 for a fish supper for 2 and that's to eat out! I am not exaggerating when I say that all 4 of us said it was the best fish and chips we'd ever had and the golden crispy batter coupled with the succulent white deboned haddock, was truly first class and as good as one would expect from any top restaurant. We naughtily gave into temptation (oh my diet went AWOL) and ordered the homemade banoffee pie with whipped cream! And oh my good god ...... it was like heaven in a dish! http://www.lakeside-restaurant.com

The well established fishing lake looks like an anglers dream and my husband cannot wait to get his tackle out! :lol: Apparently there is carp in there as big as 26lb and you can tell the owner is very proud of its reputation.

The campsite is a large and level grassy field, very spacious with electric hookups. It has quite a basic toilet and shower block but as we prefer to use our own onboard facilities, we weren't too worried that they weren't anything particularly special!

Of course there are the normal services such as fresh drinking water and chemical toilet emptying facilities etc. The owners also provide a washing machine and tumble dryer at the cost of only £1.00 per machine and this is definitely a rare inclusion on any small CL or CS.

The village is lovely, very pretty and set in an area of outstanding natural beauty. It has a very interesting village pub with a lovely community feel to it, a tea room, the lakeside restaurant, plus if you need everyday basics such as bread, milk, tea etc then the pub provides a unique village shop type service too! Very quirky and a very welcome service, especially as the nearest supermarket is approx 5 miles away.

We cannot recommend this campsite, the adjacent restaurant and the well stocked fishing lake enough and if you're looking for peace and tranquility and a proper get away from it all break, then look no further as this is a real hidden gem!

Sue

PS I forgot to mention the Lakeside restaurant also sells it's very own Tetford Country Bitter; which is a locally brewed real ale, exclusive to the Lakeside Restaurant and this delicious ale cannot be purchased elsewhere.

There is a bus stop right outside the campsite where you catch a local bus to take you into the historic market towns of nearby Horncastle or Louth.

The award winning beaches and bustling seaside resort of Skegness are approximately a 25 min drive away from here, plus the Roman city of Lincoln is only a half hour drive away. It's an ideal base for visiting many interesting places in the surrounding area, and there are also some fabulous walks and cycle paths to be enjoyed in this Lincolnshire Wolds area of outstanding natural beauty too.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back