Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Fiamma F65 3.7m wind-out awning on our van in the nice metallic titanium colour, we bought it new and put it on ourselves using the kit for our Ducato, however we have only used it twice that I can recall, and then only for about 20 minutes each time (if that!) as we don't do sites and you're not supposed to use them on aires etc. We are therefore thinking of taking it off and selling it - not only will this save weight but will put some coffers back into the pot, not that we need them but no point in having sitting on the van like a carbuncle! If we thought we'd use it more we would just keep it but based on previous usage I just can't see that happening, so carting 33kg around for nothing just seems plain stupid.

Are we being stupid or does this make sense to you lot? :RollEyes:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Seems reasonable to me. We did not buy one for our current van for similar reasons. Only proviso is the you did not drill through the van fitting the awning, if you did I would leave well alone!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No drilling at all, as we have a van conversion the fixing kit attaches the awning to the lugs already built into the roof of the Ducato, so removing it won't leave a trace and also means it is a simple task to do so and for another van owner to install it too. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The problem you will have is getting it delivered, collection only items are generally hard to sell, personally I would take it off and leave in your garage for the time when you sell the van

Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have quite often used my awning on aires, as long as theres room without being in anyone elses way I don't see a problem. It gives very welcome shade. I wouldn't leave it out overnight though even on a site as this is no.2, the first being ripped off by a freak gust of wind at Carcassonne. They are expensive to replace.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have quite often used my awning on aires, as long as theres room without being in anyone elses way I don't see a problem. It gives very welcome shade. I wouldn't leave it out overnight though even on a site as this is no.2, [HI]the first being ripped off by a freak gust of wind[/HI] at Carcassonne. They are expensive to replace.

Awning tiedown/storm straps. !!!

Even work on tarmac/concrete if secured to your wheels instead of the ground.

I always use storm straps and never need to bring in the awning.....even the 17ft one on my RV.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I always use storm straps and never need to bring in the awning.....even the 17ft one on my RV.

Same here. It survived a hell of a storm in Pembrokeshire one year too:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

well, no disrespect John, but personally I think that is foolhardy .. but it's your choice..

I've seen too many blown away in Spain.. even when tied down.. something has to give.. If the frame don't move then you risk the canvas being ripped clean off ...why risk it .

While on the topic..

Do you have a safety strap for traveling ?

.. I had my RV awning blown OPEN while traveling on the M6.. a sudden side gust unfurled it.. and had it blowing like a sail on a boat.. wrecked the canvas and twisted the legs.. and gave a few motorists heart attacks.. this is a known problem with yank awnings..

this is the safety strap I fitted..

Link Removed

there is a thread about i

Link Removed

Not mine .. but shows what happens..

awning06g.jpg

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We thought about an awning then dismissed it too!

What's the point of carrying something you use so infrequently? If we do have to use one, we have a drive away awning which we can chuck in the back for certain trips.

A roll out is a bit of a liability in our unpredictable climate IMO. Plus it makes more holes in your body which might cause water ingress.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Built-in on Autotrails, so not 'takeoffable' really and we use it a lot in Spain..

We also used ours a lot too.. personally wouldn't be without one.. and as mentioned can be used in aires when not too busy.. plenty of French use them.

Great in Scotland when it's raining.. gives you a place to change out of wet gear and to hang it.
When it's boiling hot it may be the only shade you can find.. .. also helps to keep the van cool .. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back