LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks, that was a great insight to an Americans view.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting, having hired RVs in the US perhaps one of the contrasts is the quality and size of pitches. Over there all site pitches are fully serviced with 30/60a hook up, water, grey/black drain , free wi fi and tv/media connection and many are drive through. The cost generally around 25$.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Fascinating - but not entirely unexpected. There are many times I long for the 5th wheel and US pitches I had when touring the Western USA in 2010 and I sometimes think we are in the overpriced backwaters here in the UK.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes the Americans do it properly on campgrounds I think, many drive through, at an angle not 90 degrees. All the facilities one one side, loverly!
Don't see many folk on American campgrounds waddling across the site with their dressing gown stuck up their crack, trying to get to the toilets before they :swear2: themselves. :laughing:

Craig

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Highly entertaining!

Couldn't disagree with any of his summing up and nice to see that he treated our "way" as "different" not "inferior ".(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I follow a guy on youtube called Nomadic Fanatic, been fulltiming about 5 yrs and travels all over the US, been watching his vids now for about 12months and its a different way of life over there in the US, petrol automatics mainly, a different thing is when on a campsite they can connect a water pipe straight to the mains (tap) which bypasses the on board fresh water tank and comes straight out at the taps inside, have noticed most RVs over there also have built in inverters that come with the vans, also have on board generators stored in lockers - way ahead of us me thinks

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Another thing i discovered while watching Nomadic Fanatic, he rarely uses sites, does a lot of wildcamping (boondocking) and there are tons of FREE wildlife parks for camping, with barbaque and water available, he recently went on one place which was also free and there was a guy in a hut supplying FREE coffee :LOL::LOL:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm not sure about way ahead.. just different.. I know that we much prefer our Chausson to my friends Forest River ..
The extra space is obviously great but I hate driving it and although it's fully loaded it's a but like being in a house as opposed to a motorhome..
I like the design and compactness of our fittings and of course the van is designed for European Roads, towns, villages and sites...
I have noticed that sprinter based motorhomes are becoming more popular over there ...
Love their campsites though

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Impressed, very professional production.
Would be interesting to what the old van with the water filler in the cab was.

My wife's Canadian cousin has just bought a 42 ft 12 ton RV, we are welcome to borrow it, I would need to take an air brake test (can be done online) otherwise can drive on my car licence. Not sure I want to drive something that big even on Canadian roads.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They are easy to drive and RV hire in the US is relatively cheap. There are at the moment special one way relocation trips of new RVs from Chicago and Toronto to many destinations across the states for as little as 30$ a day , eg Chicago to Seattle , up to 30 days , so off route ok, total hire cost 900$ (£750) + sites , fuel and of course flights.
Car licence ok.
Incredibly cheap holiday.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing it.

"notice the manual transmission"

"and this is the whole tank?" :)

'boondocking spots' - I prefer that to 'wildcamping'.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting, having hired RVs in the US perhaps one of the contrasts is the quality and size of pitches. Over there all site pitches are fully serviced with 30/60a hook up, water, grey/black drain , free wi fi and tv/media connection and many are drive through. The cost generally around 25$.

Oh forgot, and many sites have a pool and sometimes a hot tub at no extra cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone else notice that the lady showing the chap round her MH told him it had a 3.2L engine ....:D

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I follow a guy on youtube called Nomadic Fanatic, been fulltiming about 5 yrs and travels all over the US, been watching his vids now for about 12months and its a different way of life over there in the US, petrol automatics mainly, a different thing is when on a campsite they can connect a water pipe straight to the mains (tap) which bypasses the on board fresh water tank and comes straight out at the taps inside, have noticed most RVs over there also have built in inverters that come with the vans, also have on board generators stored in lockers - way ahead of us me thinks

Which is why some people over here, buy an RV. :rofl:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Which is why some people over here, buy an RV. :rofl:
SuperMike your so SuperFunny
emot96.gif

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only saw one toad....I find that hard to believe.
Not one 5th wheel......maybe he should tour England next time.
A lack of pickups......maybe mistook our tiny pickups for cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back