An Abundance of Keys

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bertiebasset, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Hi, Am just sorting out the keys for my MH. I have a Autocruise Wentworth and lots of keys:
    1 Peugeot Ignition/doors
    2 Zadi habitation door also fits thetford door
    3 WD key for lockers f.n/s, r. n/s centre o/s.
    4 WD key for gas locker
    5 WD key for top box
    6 Key for outside shower
    7 Key for Thule cycle rack
    8 key for Padlock on rear ladder
    9 Safe key
    10 2 keys for 2 cycle D locks (Both different numbers)
    Is this a record ?? bearing in mind I have multiple of some there must be enough to take me over MGW.
    Is it possible to replace the WD keys with ZADI barrels,, that way I would reduce from 4 for Hab to just 1
    Any suggestions

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

I only have 7 ( but 3 sets)

Ignition
    Hab door
    Hab door dead bolt
    Drivers door
    Fuel cap
    Engine bay
    All Lockers

Still enought to confuse anyone thinking of "borrowing" it

Adrian

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Pleased to say I only have 3 keys, 1 for ignition, 1 for the security locks, & one for everything else.

4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

this is what's great about PVC... one key for the doors, one for the fuel cap...

• Like Like x 1
  5. wingman

wingman Funster

I haven't got that many keys, but some look identical. To avoid the key ring shuffle every time I want one, I've colour coded them with cable ties from the £ shop. Have blue for fresh water cap, white for hab door, yellow for Thetford cassette door etc. Great in the dark too. Have clipped the ends off close with the snips.

Also, if you're fed up with a pocket full o'keys, separate them with a karabiner, just keeping the 'priority' ones with you (like hab door, ignition/alarm/entry fob etc). Clip them all back together when necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I do that with home keys. Have keys for three houses and three cars as well as office etc.. I take them in and off as I think I need them and leave the ones I don't need either in the car or camper Cubby. When I'm away just the one key in my pocket.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you can buy sets of WD locks all keyed alike from ebay for under £20. or find somebody that sells zadi/hartal barrels and order all the individual lengths keyed alike. fidly job changing the zadi and hartal ones, but really easy and less secure to change wd ones

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ah, it must be a Wentworth thing. I've got more keys than Dartmoor nick!

9. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Wingman,, I also code them,, I have painted tippex on the key for the 3 lockers. The hab key is round and the ign/door key is a fob peugeot key. I have also got another key ring with hab door, bike locks safe and alarm fob. All the others go into the safe inside the MH. But, I also have a keyless key safe bolted under the chassis with hab door and safe keys inside. Easy enough to remove bike keys if walking so only got hab key, safe key and alarm fob.
    Just wondered if the ZADI barrels were same size as the WD barrels then could change all lockers to be same as hab door. That would lessen the load. :sick:

10. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

TheBig1
    Is that how it is done, are they different length barrels ?,, the WD keys appear to be the same key size when held side by side, but if I remember correctly, the end of the WD barrels have a long tang to turn the catch on the locker doors,, the oval type that push in and hold when locked,, spring out to enable turning when unlocked

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  11. TheBig1

12. TheBig1

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

3 on the right......large one ignition, other two...standard door and security door and belly locker locks.

Rest of them....no idea. 20150216_210741.jpg

14. sedge

sedge Funster

You do know I presume that should you have your Moho - or any vehicle where the same applies - nicked and you've left keys in or on the vehicle, you've invalidated your insurance?

So say your felon smashes it up and it gets recovered, when it gets stripped down or inspected to see what it will cost, and the garage or motor engineer discover the hidey place - insurers can legitimately refuse to cough up? If it stays stolen of course they'll never know.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

It might just be me but I hate keys, my van key ring has 2 keys, and the car is keyless

• Like Like x 1
  16. westy77

westy77 Funster

I have five keys for the van, two are extra as have a security lock on hab door and the actual hab doir lock must have broken at some point as its a different key to the lockers (shouldn't be).

I would hate a keyless car as I have a bit of a checking doors are locked thing and everytime you go back to check it would unlock! Enough to send one to drink! Or drink more!

• Like Like x 1
  17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

That is so funny, when I first got the car I actually did that, locked it and then pulled the handle to check it was locked, and of course this unlocks the car. It only took me about 3 months to get out of that habit :)

18. busby

busby Funster

Clever bugger,,,never thought of that,,,had labels on them but writing washes off if they get wet.....cable ties it is,,,BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  19. westy77

westy77 Funster

I'm not sure I would ever get out of the habit. Just be a gibbering wreck in the corner of the car park "Its always open!!!!!!!!1!"

I had an MG Montego EFi in the 90's (I know I know! Pos but my it was fast!) I pulled two handles off that checking. All cars since have been made of sterner stuff, although that's not difficult!

20. busby

busby Funster

Keep my spairs in wifes handbag...BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1