Amsterdam to Venice - 1 or 2 night stopovers on the way? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, travelling from ferry port near Amsterdam to Venice in August. Would it be better to have 2 stopovers on the way or is it viable with only 1 stop? Arrive in Amsterdam 9.30am Sat Aug 19th with a weeks booking in Venice from Monday 21st. Anyone travelled this route with advice on where to stopover would be very much appreciated. Also, with it being August, would we have to book the stopover in advance?
Thanks, Paul

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well it's about 800 miles so I guess it depends on how badly you want to get there, I would take two nights but prefer to do just over 300 miles per day and would arrive at site afternoon ish, if you use tolls as much as possible I don't see why you couldn't do it with one stop but you might arrive at your site a bit late.

Personal preference really.

Martin

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are ok for time why rush if like us you are limited pay the tolls and go for it we did 2200 miles in just over a week last year with quite a few days of low miles midweek but needs must!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We went to Venice last year, but took a very winding route to get there, so it took nearly 2 weeks.
I would say 2 stops is better than one, you'll cream crackered when you arrive if you do one!
Looking at the map, I'd look to stop once in Luxembourg, then again on the Italian/Swiss border, Como would be my recommendation, and then on to Venice.
A lot of sites won't take bookings for less than 5 days in August, so you probably can't book.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you are wanting to get there that quickly don't even think about not taking Italian toll roads, unless you don't want to get there in that timescale, with your van in one piece.:(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We drove from Netherlands to Venice last August.

On a few occasions, we were stuck in traffic jams for hours at a time - literally :(

Dutch motorways will certainly be busy, even more so being the weekend.
We found German motorways to be quick and mostly incident free but lots of roadworks, busy interchanges were painfully slow...

Have you got a specific route in mind ?
We travelled to the Black Forest then into Austria.
Innsbruck to Peschiera del Garda (Saturday) took us eight hours, Via Michelin says the journey should take 3.5 hours
Peschiera del Garda to Venice took six hours (Monday), Via Michelin suggests 2.5 hours...

Hopefully some food for thought, perhaps the solution is to travel through the night ?

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you for your suggestions.
2 stops on the way down seems to be the best option, maybe 300/350 miles first 2 days with 200 on Monday arriving at site mid afternoon.

Presumed best way was the 'direct' way, straight down through Germany, Austria into Italy but now not so sure, Luxembourg/Switzerland looks a good option for scenery but maybe a little longer in miles. Via Michelin has only 40mins difference but from previous comments it is not always accurate.

The 'direct' route also seems to suffer from hold ups/traffic problems etc. Will keep looking, just going to have to take a chance on stopover sites as they do seem difficult to book for 1 night in August.

Thanks again, all help/advice appreciated, Paul

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We don't mind putting the hours and road miles in on our trips but I reckon Amsterdam to Venice in 2 days is a bit of a tall order, especially with the Alps in the way. Even 3 days is pushing it. Driving in Germany's a bit like driving in the UK (apart from the looney lane on the unregulated stretches of autobahn) - it's as busy as it is here and not at all like the French toll roads. The Netherlands is similar. With the Alps you've got to allow for the ups, downs, and windy windy bits that'll slow a MH down considerably, even where tunnels are available.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thank you for your suggestions.
2 stops on the way down seems to be the best option, maybe 300/350 miles first 2 days with 200 on Monday arriving at site mid afternoon.

Presumed best way was the 'direct' way, straight down through Germany, Austria into Italy but now not so sure, Luxembourg/Switzerland looks a good option for scenery but maybe a little longer in miles. Via Michelin has only 40mins difference but from previous comments it is not always accurate.

The 'direct' route also seems to suffer from hold ups/traffic problems etc. Will keep looking, just going to have to take a chance on stopover sites as they do seem difficult to book for 1 night in August.

Thanks again, all help/advice appreciated, Paul
If you go through Switzerland make sure you buy your vignette from the official office at the border not the short changing barstewards who approach you with their knapsacks and take Euros and short change you back in Swiss francs!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In August at height of season traffic will be grim unless you drive at night. Toll Free, then though Switzerland( vignette) the quickest. 2 days ok 1 bonkers imo....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back