Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I bought and fitted one of these chargers a few months back as the Schaudt unit has never charged in our MoHo.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...for-zig-charger-any-good.120346/#post-1654354
Does anyone know which kind of batteries it is best suited to? ie normal wet or gel?
There doesn't seem to be any switch like there is on the Schaudt. I was going to email Amperor and ask but their website is under maintenance.
Max voltage is 14.4 and float is 13.8
I'm about to buy 2 new batteries so I'd rather buy wisely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I did get a response from Amperor when I emailed them. They said that although it was meant for a lead/acid battery it should be OK for gel batteries as well but to check with the battery manufacturer that their batteries can accept a charging voltage of 14.5
I'm confused over the term float charge though.
There are 2 settings, float or 3-stage
The Amperor instructions are that if there is a battery in the circuit it should always be set to 3 stage. This means it charges at 14.4 volts for so long, then it reduces a bit and then when fully charged drops to a float charge of 13.8 volts.
But if I choose the float charge setting, which puts outs a permanent 13.8 volts apparently this could overcharge the battery(s).
They also said that if the MoHo is not in use then I shouldn't leave it permanently on charge. Just top it up every 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back