Amperor 12v stabiliser thing problem (1 Viewer)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Hi everyone . parked up in van. got blow heater on but leisure battery dropping from 13.4 volts to 10 in few mins. have to keep engine on. even led lights went. no power light on above amperor thing. all internal fuses and connections appear OK. but not looked in amperor unit or vehicle fuse box. got ford transit jumbo. any help appreciated or be freezing tonight doh !!

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ah OK. anything we can do to repair or is it garage job :( Thanx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Battery top range just 2 yrs old. worked great yesterday all day and night. gutted !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it was just a guess.
if its just happened but up til now been fine i would suspect the battery.
heating blower will use a fair bit of power but should run a few hours at least
nothing will revive it if that's the problem.
when you have chance put it on charge overnight and check voltage WITH A METER and turn everything off.
if its an internal fault it will soon be flat.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
OK thanx v much. there's no light being emitted from the on/off button on the amperor unit so we thought might have been that. will just have to drink more to keep warm ! heading home tomorrow so will so as you suggested . Thanx again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i didn't even know the Amperor voltage stabiliser units had a switch never mind a light....mine doesnt.
could be 15v plus when starting the engine so could have been a power spike/surge when you started the engine which blew the fuse

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can you check fluid level in leisure battery or is it sealed ?

Don't know what your Amperor is, I know they make power supplies, this may be nothing to do with your lack of power.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Can you check fluid level in leisure battery or is it sealed ?

Don't know what your Amperor is, I know they make power supplies, this may be nothing to do with your lack of power.
The Amperor is our liesure battery charger. hubby says battery is sealed. the amperor has an 0/1 rocker switch. it is on '1', but no red light when usually there is one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Amperor is our liesure battery charger. hubby says battery is sealed. the amperor has an 0/1 rocker switch. it is on '1', but no red light when usually there is one.

OK. Forgive the question but I assume you are hooked up and the 240V sockets are live. Got to start with the basics.

What happens if you run the engine, does the 12V rise to past 13V ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
are you on mains hook up?

I don't know your charging system but it wouldn't normally work if not on hook up

Might be you have tripped the supply?

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
No hook up. running on batt only in car park. yes when running engine rises to 13.4, full charge . had heater off for an hour and batt on 12.5. so looks like can't take any drain.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Does the charger usually light up if not on hook up? Mine's the same make and doesn't, I wouldn't expect it to.

The voltage when engine running - if that's charging your battery - doesn't reflect it's actually charge state

How much power is the heater using?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now we're getting somewhere.
You originally said it was an amperor voltage STABILISER.....not a charger.
IGNORE my previous posts, they relate to a voltage stabilizer for 12v televisions etc.

Amperor DO NOT offer a repair service, I know cos I tried them when my charger failed, so if its kaput it's a bin it job.

Mine failed between removing it (was working) from one van and fitting to another (not working)
Bench tested and proved knackered....in the bin now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'd put my money on a dud battery, doesn't matter what make they can still fail after a couple years particularly if they have been mistreated. What is the battery?

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone. We're back home, kept the heating off all night, which was a shame because was needed. Battery still on 11.8 this morning so never lost anymore charge with the fridge/lights on and phone charging. Will try and get someone to look at both elements. Thanks again.

Christopher Robb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2014
Haslemere
Funster No
MH
Autocruiser Vision
Exp
I'm new to it - a converted yachty
Having come a bit late to this thread, but some things need to be made clear. I come from a yachting background where you often have to generate all your own power.
1. you should invest in a decent digital Multimeter
2. You should add a good Battery Monitor such as the NASA BM1. This will allow you to see the voltage of the battery and the charge or discharge taking place in amps.
3. The standing charge of a full battery is around 12.8V.
4. When a battery is being charged - whether on the mains or engine, you should see the voltage climb to about 14.4V ideally - no more though fopr sealed Lead Acid Batteries.

If the charge when on engine is below 14V than it is only just charging your battery - at 13.6 its not really doing anything - unless you have a smart charger and it has done its bit and is now on float mode. Your battery will not take much discharge and it will be VERY slow to charge - end result will be a dead battery - it will have died from Sulphation. Lead Acid Batteries must NOT be discharged below 50% charge - ie around 12.4V.

Similarly when charging from a mains charger - you must get at least 14.2V ideally 14.4V - otherwise you are going to have to realy on good shore power supplies.

I was very surprised at how rubbish Motor home 12V systems are in standard form.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back