Ammeter fitting for solar panel (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
HELP! Ammeter fitting for solar panel

hi all, the brains stopped working so i need some help from you solar / 12v experts :Blush:

my main display panel / control panel does not show ( as far as i can tell ) when my solar panel is charging. i.e it does not show any charge amperage. ( could be because its in 1 amp divisions so any charge below 1 amp is not shown ).
however when i put a multi meter across the cables from the Solar panel i record a voltage ( dependent on sun levels ).

so i am considering fitting a separate ammeter for the solar panel.

can i wire it as per the attached sketch? i dont want to mess with the cabling from the solar regulator to the electro bloc as they are in a purpose made up harness.

any ideas?

Attachments

• ammeter wiring.jpg
    ammeter wiring.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
According to your sketch, you are using a Schaudt LR1218 regulator connected to a Shchaudt Electrobloc. That arrangement should show you the solar charge on the motorhome's display panel. Did you fit it yourself and if so, are you certain you used the appropriate wiring harness to match the particular EBL that is fitted?

If it was fitted by an installer, I should ask them why it is not working. Otherwise, you could talk to Steve at Aire & Sun - he understands these installations (and fitted mine). Alternatively, contact Udo Lang at Schaudt who speaks good English and is very helpful.

http://www.aireandsun.co.uk/index.php

Udo Lang <Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de>

p.s. there is some useful info on the A&S website, and I have the LR1218 installation and usage instructions if that can help.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
According to your sketch, you are using a Schaudt LR1218 regulator connected to a Shchaudt Electrobloc. That arrangement should show you the solar charge on the motorhome's display panel. Did you fit it yourself and if so, are you certain you used the appropriate wiring harness to match the particular EBL that is fitted?

If it was fitted by an installer, I should ask them why it is not working. Otherwise, you could talk to Steve at Aire & Sun - he understands these installations (and fitted mine). Alternatively, contact Udo Lang at Schaudt who speaks good English and is very helpful.

p.s. there is some useful info on the A&S website, and I have the LR1218 installation and usage instructions if that can help.

many thanks, you are correct it should show on the panel. it may just be my batteries have not needed any more than 1 amp charge so nothing shown on panel.

i did fit it myself and i am 99.9% sure i used the correct harness.

but thanks for the advice and links i will follow that up.

cheers:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

hi again Philip can you check the web address for aire and sun i cant seem to get to their site.

cheers
Phill

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Phil,

When its next sunny try putting a load on the batteries. Fans, lights etc and then check for input current.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Phil,

When its next sunny try putting a load on the batteries. Fans, lights etc and then check for input current.

thought that as a last resort i would disconnect my ehu ( i am lucky enough to be able to have one in my drive , and that might be the problem. i.e. solar never gets chance to present a charge :Doh: ) and run a few things , TV etc to put some load on for half hour then see what happens.

might have to wait a few days though at moment:ROFLMAO:

cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Phil,

you beat me to it :Sad:

the panel will supply whatever is running until the current needed is higher than the panel can supply and then starts to draw on the batteries for any more current needed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think it will work as in your sketch as the voltage from the panel to the controller, in good sun, should be around 17volts with a lower amperage than that shown on the controllers output side.

as the controller decreases voltage to 12v (nominal) the amperage should increase slightly.

as an example.....a 230v supply giving 25amps is the equivalent to a 110volt supply giving 50 amps

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
I upgraded my solar system exactly like yourself. I then had to go into my vans display with an installer access code to enable the display to give me a readout of the solar ampage. Without configuring the display panel my solar shaudt regulator and the shaudt electroblok would still have put current into my batteries but alas no readout.

I belief different manufacturers have different codes for their induvidual displays. Do a google search. Or contact your supplier/main dealership.

The system works great for me, good luck.

Dai

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Volts, Amps or Sunbeams it is well worth monitoring the goings on in your solar circuit. As my charge controller doesn't show voltage I do it with a plug-in LED voltmeter inserted into a socket in the leisure battery circuit.

About ten days ago I noticed the voltage wasn't rising on the odd occasions when the sun came out, so I double-checked my solar wiring and found the positive cable had pulled out of its battery connector, but beneath an insulating sleeve so the break was invisible. Without the voltage meter I'd have been oblivious of the problem until the battery went flat.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
hi again Philip can you check the web address for aire and sun i cant seem to get to their site.

cheers
Phill

Sorry for the delay - just got back and checked the website and it will not load for me either. I have looked at Companies House and Aire & Sun appear to be trading.

Perhaps the website is temporarily off-line. Here is the phone number (correct in 2011)
01434 230580

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Shouldn't leave this kind of job to ammeters! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry :Blush:

Wyn

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry for the delay - just got back and checked the website and it will not load for me either. I have looked at Companies House and Aire & Sun appear to be trading.

Perhaps the website is temporarily off-line. Here is the phone number (correct in 2011)
01434 230580

sorted, did not need any intervention from me only " Patience ! :Doh: discharged the hab battery with a decent load for a couple of hours and bingo .... showing a solar charge :thumb: Woohoo:ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
sorted, did not need any intervention from me only " Patience ! :Doh: discharged the hab battery with a decent load for a couple of hours and bingo .... showing a solar charge :thumb: Woohoo:ROFLMAO:

Glad it is working properly. I often think there is not much charge going in on a sunny day until I check the battery condition to find they are already fully charged. I guess it's because the sun gets up before I do! :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back