Americana

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Mikey RV, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Never been always been skint or something else on. So this year we are going for the full five days in the RV. What can i expect good and bad if any from those that have been before. :thumb:

2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We've been about 5 times and love it.
    Its a music festival so the highlight is on live bands.
    Lots of other things happening cars bikes trucks dancing.
    Plenty of bars and food stalls, if the weather is good you'll have a great time.
    Did hear some complaints last year that a bunch of gypsies turned up and caused a lot of trouble, but we were'nt there so don't know how true this is.
    You'll see some really strange characters there but always been a really nice atmosphere when we've gone, biggest problem is usually the poxy weather, I think it's been torrential rain 3 times out of 5.
    Hope you have a great time:thumb::thumb:

3. Pete45

Pete45 Read Only Funster

We used to love this show and always went.
    Went for a couple of days last year and we will give it a miss this time.
    You will get lots of good and bad reports.
    Go on RVOC and search Americana threads as that may help.:thumb:

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Always fancied it BUT the cost to high

I have always fancied it, but watching the costs over the past few years does not work for me.

Plus heard lots of bad reports last year from those members of the RVOC that went.. Also like all events the weather can make or break it.

Malvern is a good show in August.. especially with the MHF section, get a fair number of RV's in our group and the show is all billed as An American show.. certainly large numbers turn up.. 5000 motorhomes and the country music is very good and in several halls each night.
    Worth looking it up and see whats on offer.. plus.. it is a lot lot cheaper.

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  5. Forestboy

Yeah but the Americana is a different thing it is a music festival, Malvern is a motorhome show. Americana has 2 outdoor stages with live acts performing from about 10.30am til midnight non stop plus a couple more indoor stages. It is expensive compared to a motorhome show but all those acts have to be paid. I saw someone complain on a forum once that the Americana was spoilt by all the loud music :Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

more skint ...

• Like Like x 3
  7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

We have been once and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The only thing that has ever prevented us from going again is the cost and how it always seems to fall around when we are due to go on holiday. :Smile:

The year we went we had torrential rain but it didn't once dampen the spirits. Took a load of kids with us whom also had a ball.
    It's not like a motorhome show at all, it is what I can only describe as a Music festival and a celebration of all things American.
    if you love anything American or can apprieciate the effort put in to the maintaining of some of the stuff that turns up there, then you wont be dissapointed. :thumb:

8. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

It is surprising how many people me included have echoed Pete & Shirls sentiment and giving it a miss this year.......and not just down to cost.....though as others have said there is now comparison between Malvern and Americana two totally different weekends.

All the best Rick

9. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Cheers guys
    We are into hot rods, american cars, etc and i do like the burlesque dancers myself and the variety of music so looks like we will have a good time. Hope so as its our main holiday this year. Just hope the sun is out. Will let you know what we think about it after we have been. :thumb:

10. haganap

Sorry Rick, having been too both I just can't see it anyhting like each other. One has all of America brought to the UK, in terms of cars, music, rockerbilly bands, motorcycles, trucks american stalls 3 or 4 huge stages with quality bands, line dancing, jazzed up hot rods and pick ups a load of people wishing they were Americans (or even thinking they are) in denim, people from the age of 0-100 with many being in the 20s & 30s drinking beer and having a good laugh.

The other has mainly european motorhomes, mainly grumpy old gits in their late 50s and 60's moaning about the spec of brittish motorhomes and the amount of Kids about, althought there's only 10 in the whole place. a few dressed in cowboy gear shooting off pretend guns and a few others pretending to be Indians (those were the best for me, we thought they were great)

They are, I believe, worlds and worlds apart....

give me the americana anyday over malvern.

My opinion of course and as said we have done both. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Yes its expensive but how much would you pay to see some of the bands on their own.

I love it.........

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Paul, I think Rick agrees with you, and the W is not supposed to be there:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

As Paul has said, the Americana and the Malvern Show are two completely differing events. We have been to both and have enjoyed both, Pam prefers the Malvern Show, I prefer Americana. However at £210 for the weekend and with no headline act as yet, we will be giving Americana a miss this year. I am sure that those who do go will have a great time as we have in the past.

Brisey.

14. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

we have attended americana for the last 4 years,the first 3yrs were brilliant,last year was a very expensive let down.there was no atmosphere,far fewer traders, less exhibitors and to cap it all on the saturday and sunday the place was overrun with Itinerants:Eeek:many having no wristbands and just there to see what they could lift and cause trouble.there was a lot of unease there which made for what we felt was an unpleasant weekend.when you take into account the cost of the tickets for 3 persons,the fuel,and spending money it very soon becomes a £700.00 weekend:Eeek:we are definately not attending this year.
    brian jo and josh

• Like Like x 3
  15. haganap

Im sure after that experience you wouldn't want too, however its one of how many years? was it the 30th anniversary recently?

16. Forestboy

We're giving Americana a miss this year and doing this one instead, still a music festival though. http://www.twinwoodevents.com/ its known as The Glenn Miller Festival.:thumb::thumb:
    Never been before but know quite a few that have and they all say its one of the best.
    All ready booked in.

17. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

sounds a bit like OWESTRY then:Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

yep,but we are not attending that either this year:thumb:
    brian

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paulh

Paulh Read Only Funster

Oh, you lucky people:BigGrin:, with all these shows to choose from...! Try being in N.Ireland and putting a ferry fare on top of any costs to any worthwhile events...:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  20. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

£210 ouch

I would not pay that for a weekend stay no matter how good people reported it was last year
    it is an obscene amount of money

ho well some people obviously have more money than sense.

what is the old adage ? "ho yes"

"A fool and his money are easy to part with"

most of us could have several weekends away for that sort of money

Americana sorry i will not attend this year or any other year at those kind of prices.