American Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, May 31, 2013.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Anyone got an american sat nav they would be willing to loan? Will pay postage of course or collection locally.

Are you allowed to take them on a plane?

Can't believe the hire car companies want to charge £112 rental for 13 days, be cheaper to buy....

2. buttons

buttons Funster

A couple of options, I used my S2 with NAVFREE installed. Make sure you download all the US states that you will be driving in before you leave the UK. And be sure to turn your data off before you land.
    Second option, I purchased a basic sat nav from a large outlet in the US. It wasn't very expensive and I have no idea where it is now sorry. My S2 with navfree worked well on my last visit but you will require a car charger.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Cheers buttons. I have an s3 as you know, I also tend to use maps, so just need the sat nav for finding an address. I will install American maps on my s3 and buy a cheapie if required

4. buttons

buttons Funster

as long as you have your GPS on and your Data off it wont cost you a bean. I drove up the east coast to the boarder and across to Vermont and freenav worked a treat. The S3 will be as good if not better. You can practice with FreeNav in the UK before you go so you can make a running start. Getting from airports can be a bit tedious if you dont know the way.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

same goes for mobile phones Paul.

if you and Nikky need to keep in touch if you go separate ways any time...shopping etc... just buy a couple of cheap PAYG phones.

we paid $20 each including $10 credit at the nearest Vodafone shop....that was £5 a phone back then and cheap enough to give/throw away when you leave Americaland.

calls are expensive though on PAYG

• Like Like x 1
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

Paul when in Florida last year we didn't have a sat nav so had a look at them in the supermarket and some where as little as $50 not sure how good it was as didn't need one in the end.

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Paul as you know I'm in the states right now but have a sat nav you can borrow we used it on our 3 year tour it's a Garmin. Send me a text let me know when your leaving and if I'm back you can have it.
    Currently riding thro the Rockies in Colorado
    Rory

8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Wake a free app works well in USA. You do need a cellular connection though.