American RVs becoming antiques (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Don't know if y'all have been following the woes of the RV industry in the US. A number of manufacturers have been in trouble for a while. Some closed their doors last year, while others furloughed plants and workers for extended periods.

Thanks to the banking/financial mess, what few buyers exist aren't able to get loans for their purchases, leaving dealers with large inventories which, in some cases, have to be re-purchased by the manufacturer. Meanwhile, new orders have all but dried up, so there's little or no demand for the factories.

Country Coach in Junction City, Oregon went into bankruptcy last year. The latest casualty is Monaco in nearby Coburg, Oregon. They were on extended furlough and were hoping to get some financing that would allow them to stay afloat. Last year, they announced the closing of 3 facilities in Indiana, but then seemed to do an about face. This week, they issued termination notices to almost all employees, leaving only 140 admin and sales-related people who are charged with getting rid of the remaining inventory.

Here's a notice on Monaco's web site, and here's an article on the web site of a local TV news. Be sure to watch the video also.

Across the street from Monaco's facility in Coburg, Marathon Coach, a high-end Prevost bus converter, has been on furlough &/or reduced hours.

Travel Supreme previously closed their doors, and several other manufacturers appear to be on the brink of going belly up.

This a pretty sad state of affairs, and we can only watch and shake our heads as an industry literally evaporates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe this is a good thing. Seems to me that the RV as we know it is a dinosaur anyway. When the up-turn happens, in 3, 5 or even 10 years time, I think the new RV industry will look at more economical units. The days of putting an 8.1L engine in a five ton 24ft RV are over::bigsmile:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Tom
It's a sad state for all of us, some people reckon we're heading towards a depression like 1920's era. The UK is also having bad times with factory closures and lay offs.
I feel sorry for the people with young children and mortgages. Glad I don't have that problem anymore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Anyone been to there local high street lately?

50% of the regular shops are gone, woolies, shoe shop chains, and so on.

Charity shops are flourishing:whatthe:I am getting the begging bowl out:roflmto:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Went to the bank a few weeks ago (Yorkshire Bank) to get a mortgage to buy my mums house off her as she will never be able to pay for it and the mortgage ends in 5 years.

The interest rate............................6.5% ABOVE base rate :Eeek::Eeek:

Needless to say I wont be using the Yorkshire......I wouldnt mind so much but we have 4 mortgages with them already on our rental properties :Doh:

If the USA banks are doing the same kind of thing it would be cheaper going to a loan shark to buy your next RV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
The days of putting an 8.1L engine in a five ton 24ft RV are over

Quite possible Jim. OTOH what we've seen the last 5 years or so has been almost two extremes, catering to a spectrum of buyers:

- Ever-increasing size and weight in many varieties of coach; 40-45 feet models abounded.

- Quite a few smaller/lighter RVs coming on the market.

Smaller RVs with smaller engines are certainly not new here, of course. e.g. friends of ours had, until recently, a Vixen with a small Volvo engine. Great fuel consumption (35 miles per US gallon), but slow getting up the hills.

Interestingly, when fuel prices skyrocketed last year, it didn't appear to deter folks from buying the behemoths.

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
BTW check out the height of the guy in that photo vs the height of his RV. I'm 5.10" and couldn't stand up in there. He's 6'3" or so. The roof of the Vixen hinges along its length and, when the roof was 'deployed', he could stand up on one side.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
BTW check out the height of the guy in that photo vs the height of his RV. I'm 5.10" and couldn't stand up in there. He's 6'3" or so. The roof of the Vixen hinges along its length and, when the roof was 'deployed', he could stand up on one side.

no 'low bridge' problems though....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tom,

Am I not correct in remembering that during the last fuel price crisis in the 70's you in the States started to look at the more economical Japanese imports. I remember in the UK seeing 1 year old Jaguars and Jensen Interceptors being crushed because the metal was worth more than the car!

Regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back