American RV (1 Viewer)

A

alfie07

Deleted User
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some sound advice and hope someone can point me in the right direction,

I have been looking for a 5/6 berth American Rv, I have found the fourwinds Hurricane 34B which has bunkbeds/ hide away bed for my three little ones and looks like a well build motorhome and well priced buying from RVDirect in America .

I was going to buy one in the Uk but they are very expensive to buy here, so I am going to import the Rv myself and have done all the investigation work to allow me to do this. ie . Import agent, SIV, convertion,insurance and shipping agent. however I was really looking for a diesel engine Rv which has been difficult to find with the layout I require. My question is:

Does anyone know of a simlair RV with a diesel engine with a good build quality.

Am I doing the right thing by buying in American and importing.

Best Regards
Alfie

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi alfie

it used to be possible to buy diesel powered pullers, with the (not very high powered, rather noisy) 6.5l chevy diesel. this engine is no longer made, and as far as i know, all front engine RVs, apart from the new, expensive FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) RVs are fitted with petrol engines. If on a workhorse chassis, the 8.1l Chevy engine. If ford, the V10 forgotten the engine size. However, if you plan to keep the RV for any length of time, an lpg conversion returns the cost equivalent of diesel, or better, but you are not likely to get payback until after 3 or 4 years.

des

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Alfie.

We bought our RV in Florida last year and shipped in back.

Ours is 30 foot petrol (workhorse) Gulfstream.

I didn't want to go much bigger which meant it had to be petrol.

Haven't converted to lpg yet, still doing the calculations (the price of an LPG conversion buys a lot of petrol).

Diesel is much cheaper on the continent, but the economics in the UK mean diesel is not a lot cheaper per mile over here.

We found Darren at Motorhome Medics very helpful for the conversion and good advice.

Have fun,

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what i've read about the big US diesels you wont get much better mileage than the petrol engines and with diesel at the same price (ish) as petrol in the uk you would be better with a petrol and the option to LPG it:thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Alfie,

Cannot give you any info on the RV as I have not looked at the market for some time.

However, as to LPG conversion and payback, see this download I put on the forum for helping to calculate the cost and payback time:

Link Removed

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0

chimneychap

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Buxton
Funster No
Hi Alfie,

Cannot give you any info on the RV as I have not looked at the market for some time.

However, as to LPG conversion and payback, see this download I put on the forum for helping to calculate the cost and payback time:

Link Removed

Best regards

Chris

Thats an interesting tool Chris.

Thanks for that. This is something we are very much considering doing on our van. WHilst we will not be doing vast amounts of miles it is certainly something we will be keeping for a good while.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back