Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
We have during the last month checked out three customers RV's for either servicing or minor faults, we have found on EACH one the same fault that they never knew about. Each one had the cooling fan locked in causing excess fuel consumption and over cooling, two of them also had the power setting set wrong, one was set at 260HP when it should have been 350HP. Both of these together added to their fuel comsumption. We reset their fans and did a power output check and they are now saving between 2 and 3.5 MPG not to mention the fact that it also saves on engine wear by not overcooling. From your point of view it may be worth checking this to ensure your dealer has reset the ECM and it is not still on its default settings. If you have an Allison MD series gearbox, these can also be reset to perform various functions other than the standard default settings, such things as using the gearbox as an integeral retarder, or if you have hard shifts, these can be reset as well. We have found some that have run low on transmission fluid that then develop a hard shift, this can be removed from the ECM and it will re learn the best shift pattern. Have a great weekend all of you out there!!!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have during the last month checked out three customers RV's for either servicing or minor faults, we have found on EACH one the same fault that they never knew about. Each one had the cooling fan locked in causing excess fuel consumption and over cooling, two of them also had the power setting set wrong, one was set at 260HP when it should have been 350HP. Both of these together added to their fuel comsumption. We reset their fans and did a power output check and they are now saving between 2 and 3.5 MPG not to mention the fact that it also saves on engine wear by not overcooling. From your point of view it may be worth checking this to ensure your dealer has reset the ECM and it is not still on its default settings. If you have an Allison MD series gearbox, these can also be reset to perform various functions other than the standard default settings, such things as using the gearbox as an integeral retarder, or if you have hard shifts, these can be reset as well. We have found some that have run low on transmission fluid that then develop a hard shift, this can be removed from the ECM and it will re learn the best shift pattern. Have a great weekend all of you out there!!!

Thanks Simon,

I have a fluid clutch on my cooling fan and have been looking into fitting an electric in it's place.

I believe the fan is adding somewhat to the fuel consumption.

Are these fluid clutch fans you're referring to?

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Thanks Simon,

I have a fluid clutch on my cooling fan and have been looking into fitting an electric in it's place.

I believe the fan is adding somewhat to the fuel consumption.

Are these fluid clutch fans you're referring to?

Steve.

Good morning Steve,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. The fans on many of the later either Cummins or CAT engined vehicles have a combination fan, it is a fluid viscous fan with an electro magnetic hub. The fan will continue to turn with the engine however it should only revolve at 20% when not energised and at 80% when energised. The ECM sends a signal which is power when it is not energised and no power when energised, this is not a wrong, it is the fail safe system, and this is what most of the ones we have seen have it set as, fail safe. The obvious problem is the wasted energy involved in turning a fan which can be anywhere around 48" in diameter (sorry not sure what 48" is in metric, deal too much with American and being very old now, imperial) and the over cooling of the engine which makes it inefficient.

I did quote the wrong figures in the last post, one owner stated that he was getting an average of 7.2, after we changed both the power settings and the fan via the ECM he then had a reading of 12.7!!! average. In respect of your own idea of removing the current fan on your RV, obviously I do not know exactly what RV you have, but let us assume you have one with a simple viscous fan, if you were to come to us as a customer, it would be my suggestion to you to look at us fitting two units rather than one. I will explain the reasoning behind this as such..... If you use two fans you have a fail safe as well in case one unit were to fail or the sensor fail. We would suggest (note the careful word SUGGEST) that this was also carried out by using two units that were of a brushless/impulse type rather than the brush type, again another form of safety, these could then be wired so that the first one cut in at one temp, the other to cut in at a higher temp, this saves on wear and tear and is another safety feature. We would also fit two LED warning lamps to show which unit was energised, green for normal temp, red for the high temp fan. If you were to have a system which is energised via the ECM, you need to fit a blocking diode on the circuit, the reason for this is that a fan that is then taken out of power after revolving, can send a pulse or spike back up the energising lead to the ECM taking it out!!! As a motor stops revolving it can turn from a motor to a generator, hence the spike/pulse.

Hope that helps you with your thoughts on removing or otherwise the current fan system you may have. You could always go into what we have done with our service van, Diesel van with LPG injection, increases power, lowers noise, lowers emissions, decreases exhaust gas temp and lowers the engine temp by increasing its efficiency............. now theres another thought for you to work on!!!

OP
OP
M

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Hi Simon:Smile: Thanks for that -please add to our list when we come to you early next year.
Jan

Hi Jan, Merv & Puppy,

Where you are at the moment you will have no need for a fan to cool down, but you might need some of our thin panel rads instead!! Look forward to seeing you all after Christmas, let me have your sausage, bacon, sausage roll order early to avoid dissapointment, or shall I get you a Turkey stuffed with a goose, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken, stuffed with a pheasant, all boned of course and with your choice of stuffing between them, oh you may need us to fit you a bigger oven as well? I have something for the Batts as also, that will also involve the butcher and stuffing, but may also involve the A&E dept :Eeek:. Kindest regards, Simon

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Many thanks Simon, for the very informative answer.It's certainly given me something to think about.:thumb:

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Hi Jan, Merv & Puppy,

Where you are at the moment you will have no need for a fan to cool down, but you might need some of our thin panel rads instead!! Look forward to seeing you all after Christmas, let me have your sausage, bacon, sausage roll order early to avoid dissapointment, or shall I get you a Turkey stuffed with a goose, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken, stuffed with a pheasant, all boned of course and with your choice of stuffing between them, oh you may need us to fit you a bigger oven as well? I have something for the Batts as also, that will also involve the butcher and stuffing, but may also involve the A&E dept :Eeek:. Kindest regards, Simon

:ROFLMAO: Oh Simon! Put your local butcher on overtime, never tasted such bacon before or since. What shall we rip out of the rv to accommodate the Aga?
Jan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back