Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
In our Kountrylite, we have a Jensen AWM970 stereo.
We only seem to be able to tune into odd number digits on the tuner.
ie. Smooth Radio is 100.4 but we can only get 100.3 or 100.5.
Is this common to American radios or is there a way I can change my tuner settings?
I've read the manual inside out and tried Google but so far, nothing.

Ta

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
had the same problem with one in our day van

Is this common to American radios or is there a way I can change my tuner settings?

Ta

I purchased a Jensen in Florida for my day van (Dodge) and had the same problem... I did get round it by adding a little unit that allowed me to change to pick up BBC .. but cannot remember what it was called. Got it from the local car radio shop. If I recall it went between the arial wire and the unit.

Bob

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don't see how that will help the original poster. If the radio will only tune on odd digits, no amount of fiddling with what comes down the ariel cable will change that. After all the signal is already at the ariel the radio does not tune to it and that's it. There is also a unit sold a lot on ebay that pushes the frequencys off a bit, but again that does not help.

Enless somebody can expain it to my dim brain of course. :ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

And if you can, I will buy one for I have the same problem.:restmycase:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966

Ta

I would contact Jensen direct to get to find out how to change to euro frequencies if you look at the spec sheet it does say selectable us/euro frequencies

12V DC Power
- 132 Watts
- AM/FM Electronic Tuner (US/Euro)

Link Removed

Hope this helps :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't see how that will help the original poster. If the radio will only tune on odd digits, no amount of fiddling with what comes down the ariel cable will change that. After all the signal is already at the ariel the radio does not tune to it and that's it. There is also a unit sold a lot on ebay that pushes the frequencys off a bit, but again that does not help.

Enless somebody can expain it to my dim brain of course. :ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

And if you can, I will buy one for I have the same problem.:restmycase:
ALL radio frequencies are present at the aerial......the receiver tunes to the one you want.
american tuners are designed to find odd numbered frequencies only....for example, 94.5...104.3.
this gadget appears to convert the even numbered UK frequencies to an odd numbered one for the American receiver.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
ALL radio frequencies are present at the aerial......the receiver tunes to the one you want.
american tuners are designed to find odd numbered frequencies only....for example, 94.5...104.3.
this gadget appears to convert the even numbered UK frequencies to an odd numbered one for the American receiver.

Thanks Pappa, I know that but how does it do it and by how much does it convert. Sorry, I just smell another gizzmo that will endup back in it's box, in the garage.

Unless somebody know different, of course.:ROFLMAO::Doh::Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Pappa, I know that but how does it do it and by how much does it convert. Sorry, I just smell another gizzmo that will endup back in it's box, in the garage.

Unless somebody know different, of course.:ROFLMAO::Doh::Eeek:
no idea Mike.
i suspect it grabs the freq and simply juggles it around and transmits it down the caox as the correct one.

i have no doubt they do as it says on the tin.

radio's are black magic :Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no idea either - just worked

I have no idea either, it just worked that is all I know.

Sue is always saying I have no idea how much costs.. but this sure expensive these days.:Blush:

Bob

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
on the old analog radio days there used to be a small screw that you turned to fine tune the set to the aerial normally this was on top of the radio under a small sticker.

no doubt new digital tuners wont have such a thing but as they say thats progress.

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
I've had this problem on three American radios now.
The first one had a small switch inside the radio that switched between US (ODD) & European (EVEN), problem solved.
The second one didn't have a switch so I went back to the dealer and they replaced the radio with a European one. (Not fit for purpose etc).
My current motorhome has a US radio still tuned to "ODD", but bought 2nd hand and can't be bothered to make a fuss as it appears to work 95% of the time.
Take a look inside your radio, it may well have this "changeover" switch.

NEV3

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back