Free Member
Dec 29, 2012
orkney
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
many thanks

i like all your views and comments, i know an rv will be a bit more in fuel i do live in orkney but i dont think i would take a motorhome all the way up here.
i think i would leave it about Stirling the fuel and ferry would be about the same as the storage.We would be traveling for longer periods of time so i think some thing that can carry a bit more weight would be good.
a 3.5t a lot dont seam to have much of a pay load and if you are running at 3.5t not good for van, fuel, or my nerves in case you get puled over for being over load.
dont know much about lpg is it a good idea? i just find diesel older ones with out all this electronic crap a bit more user friendly :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's not really true Jim. Eurovans go from about 15' to 30', Rv's 22' to 39', so their's around 8' of overlap, at 30' I can go most places a eurovan can go, sloberdobs van at around 24' could go all the places a normal eurovan can go, and with his slides is probably as big inside as a 30' eurovan, whether you need this extra space with the consequent increase in fuel consumption is something only you can decide.

Ian

Quite so Ian..
however.. most think of an RV as over 28ft and a Eurovan under that .. so perhaps we should drop the term RV and Eurovan and stick to physical sizes..

so.. I'll restate... the larger a motorhome the fewer places and sites that can accommodate it.. I'd say the watershed is 28ft ...

and despite what Eddie says.. they can't go everywhere.. unless you consider 'everywhere' as where buses and Pickfords lorries go.. This is from five years experience touring both here and abroad with a 36ft + trailer.. .. not theory.

It's not a case of 'knocking' big vans.. it's a case of being honest and not misleading potential buyers.. they are fantastic, huge payloads, excellent accommodation .. but all that comes at an exta cost and a compromise on where you can go.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Quite so Ian..
however.. most think of an RV as over 28ft and a Eurovan under that .. so perhaps we should drop the term RV and Eurovan and stick to physical sizes..

so.. I'll restate... the larger a motorhome the fewer places and sites that can accommodate it.. I'd say the watershed is 28ft ...

and despite what Eddie says.. they can't go everywhere.. unless you consider 'everywhere' as where buses and Pickfords lorries go.. This is from five years experience touring both here and abroad with a 36ft + trailer.. .. not theory.

It's not a case of 'knocking' big vans.. it's a case of being honest and not misleading potential buyers.. they are fantastic, huge payloads, excellent accommodation .. but all that comes at an exta cost and a compromise on where you can go.

I didn't say "Go anywhere:Eeek:" I am politely suggesting that if your a crap driver that would have more bearing on where you go than what you drive.

Personally with two big dogs I love the space that an RV gives us, and the extra toys make up for the shortcomings of a RV

As for build quality don't forget that the majority of RV imported into the UK would be considered entry level in the states. Spend a $1,000,000 of a coach and you wouldn't be able to complain abut build quality.

Addendum

MIL has been out to get fuel in her 23' Autotrail, she is getting ready to drive to Spain with her American "friend"

She has popped her keys into the office to ask someone to reverse the van back into her "spot" as she doesn't like going backwards!

Not sure it would matter what she drove:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Iceman, and welcome::bigsmile:I see you have a HGV class 1 so you will know exactly about mpg from the yank diesels :Eeek: but lots are petrol :Eeek::Eeek:::bigsmile: expect around 10 mpg driven very steadily and £=£ worth on gas around 16/17 mpg Euro vans expect 25 to 30 ish with bigger ones in low 20s
A little more info would be helpful ie 2 people or more ? New or older perhaps even budget. I see you don't like modern type electronic s so that limits your choices on both euro and yanks :Doh: 25 ft ish puts you in the small yank group and larger euro boxes.Whatever you choose layout is the most important thing :thumb: so look and try at lots at a show or dealers :thumb:
Terry

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
There have been a fair number of threads on Euro vs Yank. If you want to read all the merry banter just do a search of the forums. ::bigsmile:

In the end it all boils down to what works for you and only you can decide that. Enjoy whatever you end up with. :Smile:

For what it's worth, I fulltime in a Euro, love it and find [HI]Yanks vulgar[/HI]. :reel:

The vehicles or the people:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I didn't say "Go anywhere:Eeek:"
Eddie

Indeed you didn't Eddie neither did I say you did .. I said.. "and despite what Eddie says.. they can't go everywhere." but I'm not getting into a semantics sparring match ..

the bigger a van is the fewer places it can go.. and the fewer sites that can accommodate.. that is why I started a map with aires and sites for RVs and big motorhomes.. and why Mo publishes his book, "The Big Pitch Guide."

It's all very well squeezing down a lane to a site with a 36ft RV ..only to discover that
a) it can't or won't accommodate you.. and
b) you can't turn around..

that is where planning comes into it's own.. something you don't have to do with a sub 25ft van .. that was my point..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think some people might be surprised where you can take them ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

indeed

rvstuck.jpg

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim I don't think those pictures add anything to the argument, what has poor driving got to do with it?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you can get somewhere, you will get back. Even if you have to reverse, you will get back.

It is a fact that some people cannot drive no matter what, they will never become drivers. You have to be able to 'feel' the size of a vehicle, know it's limitations, and know it's dimensions.

How a person can drive under a low bridge with a large vehicle and rip the top off is just plain daft. And when a person says that there is no 'through vision' in a MH makes me laugh. What are they hoping to see through a window, 20 ft away, 6 ft off the ground?

Still, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same. I will stay perfect, and leave the rest of you to fight amongst yourselves.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim I don't think those pictures add anything to the argument, what has poor driving got to do with it?

as we know, a lot of big rigs are driven on car licences by people who have no experience of large vehicles.. so these things can and do happen.. call it poor driving .. or whatever.

but even with the best will in the world.. and with the most skilled driver, they can't go everywhere... even when fools try..

my last word.. RVs are great and can go anywhere:thumb:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
as we know, a lot of big rigs are driven on car licences by people who have no experience of large vehicles.. so these things can and do happen.. call it poor driving .. or whatever.

but even with the best will in the world.. and with the most skilled driver, they [HI]can't go everywhere...[/HI] even when fools try..

Nor can your caravan::bigsmile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh_bifwDoQ"]Trailer stuck - YouTube[/ame]

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
indeed

rvstuck.jpg

Link Removed

I think, if they had had the correct air preasure in their tyres (l they would have been OK... :Cool:

I dunno..... Some people are really "Thick"... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think, if they had had the correct air preasure in their tyres (l they would have been OK... :Cool:

I dunno..... Some people are really "Thick"... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

big overhang Mo.. easy done.

I grounded mine several times boarding ferries.. also damaged the jockey wheel on the trailer.. :Doh:

you can buy a caster wheel that fits on the tow bar .. but I bet you have one :winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its odd that whenever the Euro versus RV thread is repeated that Eurovan owners are so critical of RVs , perhaps most never had one :RollEyes: and yet RV owners generally just state how good RVs are and why they have one (Scotjim excepted).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I grounded mine several times boarding ferries.. also damaged the jockey wheel on the trailer.. :Doh:

you can buy a caster wheel that fits on the tow bar .. but I bet you have one :winky:

I grounded a Bessacar E495 getting on a ferry. Many RV's have a tapered tail, as mine did, so grounding was never an issue, so a longer overhang but better than a European. Shows you cant generalise when talking RV v Euro.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Its odd that whenever the Euro versus RV thread is repeated that Eurovan owners are so critical of RVs , perhaps most never had one :RollEyes: and yet RV owners generally just state how good RVs are and why they have one (Scotjim excepted).

phewwww.. glad you excepted me.. :winky:

but you are correct.. if you haven't owned both you cannot really make an objective judgement .. but it does make a good bun fight :roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its odd that whenever the Euro versus RV thread is repeated that Eurovan owners are so critical of RVs , [HI]perhaps most never had one [/HI]:RollEyes: and yet RV owners generally just state how good RVs are and why they have one (Scotjim excepted).

[HI]And perhaps are frightened of handling one [/HI]:RollEyes:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Well Jim..........

Suprise, suprise.....:Tongue1::whistle::ROFLMAO:

How did you guess... ? :winky:

Not exactly on the tow bar... but does the job, :thumb:

Castor is off a 6 ton rollalong pallet... and has held up ok... famous last words...:RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Attachments

• P1010733 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010733 (600 x 450).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 22

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Quite, I once saw a picture of a double decker bus on the moon.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back