Free Member
Dec 29, 2012
orkney
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
hi guys
do i buy a American or European motor home,never done this motor home thing before but the time is getting close.
It looks like you get a bit more bang for your buck with the American, dont want a BIG one maybe 25 feet not woried about driving it as i have a c1 hgv and well used with that.
is there any probs getting spare parts ect i know the mph wont be so good but we plan to on long slow trips not short fast ones.
Just like your thoughts as you seem to be a very friendly and knowledgeable bunch
ps i know very little about this computer things threads tags all new to me

:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the majority of spare parts (chassis) are readily available on eBay and from the various uk RV dealers but it aint the end of the world if you need to import something yourself....and possibly cheaper as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum. At 25ft there are a lot of Euroboxes out there that will give you twice the mpg of a yank tank. German built vans are also better insulated for year round living if you plan long trips. Yanks have more space usually due to slide outs at the expense of fuel economy. I suppose it really depends on how you will use it and where you want to go. Tailor the van to your expected lifestyle and pocket, if fuel cost is neither here nor there then a Yank does offer lots more for your initial outlay.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
For style and quality of finish - european everytime:Smile:

:reel:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not biased.. owned both.. and did a lot of touring in my RV , had it for five years, three living full time in it .. but much depends on what you plan to do with it.. for touring long distances IMO a European is way better.. for long stays and comfort go for an RV.. it's like a bungalow on wheels ..

Just bear in mind the fuel costs.. an RV will cost roughly double to run.. and when a fill up costs an eye watering three hundred quid.. the shine soon wears off..

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not biased.. owned both.. and did a lot of touring in my RV , had it for five years, three living full time in it .. but much depends on what you plan to do with it.. for touring long distances IMO a European is way better.. for long stays and comfort go for an RV.. it's like a bungalow on wheels ..

Just bear in mind the fuel costs.. an RV will cost roughly double to run.. and when a fill up costs an eye watering three hundred quid.. the shine soon wears off..
Prices have gone up a bit Jim...

from empty mine costs (or would if i could afford it) £419 :Eeek: and another £100 for the engine LPG :Eeek::Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Once you are used to it, the length of the motorhome will rarely cause you any real problems, but the width is a different matter, once you are over 100 inches wide then it can be fun at times.::bigsmile: That said, there are plenty of US RVs much less than 100"

IMO for spontaneous touring (without proper route planning) of the European countryside then the narrower European is king. However, if you full time and don't do many miles a year, then a large RV is hard to beat. That said, people do full time in very small euro vans and RVers do go touring in the narrow lanes of Cornwall. We've followed the tiny beach lanes of France and Spain in a 34Rv towing a trailer, you just have to be brave (and travel early in the morning)

I'd forget about the country of manufacturer. Decide on the style/type of touring you want to do and then look for the layout that will accommodate that best. Best of luck:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you posted as i typed Jim :Doh:

i havent put any petrol in since buying mine two years ago, it had 3/4 tank already, but used 1/2 a tank (35gallons) just starting and waiting until lpg kicks in and running generator from time to time.

if it wasnt for LPG at 70p-80p ltr i couldnt afford to run it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
VW camper all the way for me. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

120mpg all the comfort of an RV but in a tardis

Sorry coudn't resist it, just getting in before buttons comes along :roflmto:

In seriousness, its a pretty hard question.

No one (or not many) that own an RV are going to say get a european and visa versa.

RV's are definately more for your buck,,, but they are pig ugly compared to a more refined British made Bessacarr :reel::wooo::hardhat:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
RV's are definately more for your buck,,, but they are pig ugly compared to a more refined British made Bessacarr :reel::wooo::hardhat:

Couldnt agree more Paul...:roflmto:

$T2eC16h,!)0E9s37Id91BQ8CNIUVGg~~60_12.JPG

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Go for what suits you. If you fancy room, and all the gizmos, have an RV. If you are ruled by mpg and the cost of fuel, have a eurobox. It's horses for courses.
I had a Winnebago 32ft V8 diesel, spacious, comfortable, beautiful to drive, and it was not a lot of mpg behind my friends diesel VW autosleeper auto. Believe it or not.
I now have an American 5th wheel trailer and truck. I still have the space and comfort with the convenience of a truck to run around in. As it runs on lpg, I will be interested to see if I am on a par with him now. Pound for pound.
If you listen and take in what everyone tells you, then you will stay at home. If you want to tour and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, listen to yourself.

Never regret things you have done, only the things you haven't.

Craig

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
wonder whether Bob ever sold his 23ft 9in Winniebago?:ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
yes indeed..

cheap to buy.. expensive to run..

that's why is ebay full of gaz guzzling gin palaces with low mileage .. most rust away on the drive before they do 50k

:reel::reel:

Ouch! That's a little harsh!

I take it you don't like them anymore?

I love mine, and would not have a eurobox stuck on a FIAT for anything! Wouldn't have a FIAT full stop!

Craig

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now on my third RV and would not have anything else. Looked long and hard before buying this one new almost three years ago but none of the euro motorhomes came near it for value, comfort , quality and a proper paint job .
I don't live in a confined space at home so don't want to on my travels and the convenience of facilities like more than adequate holding tanks, air conditioning, on board generator , slide outs for space etc all as standard on an RV.
A bit extra on fuel maybe but you generally pay more for 5* accommodation any way. :thumb:

PS. and a fill up of LPG around £133

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ouch! That's a little harsh!

I take it you don't like them anymore?

I love mine, and would not have a eurobox stuck on a FIAT for anything! Wouldn't have a FIAT full stop!

Craig

never said I don't like them Craig.. .. for me they are just too expensive to run and limit where you can go .. and yes, I've had mine down narrow lanes and in many tight spots but it's far more relaxed in a European sized van .. be it made in the US or EU .. as Jim mentioned, with a Eurovan you can jump in and go just about anywhere, stay on any site, no planning required.. not so with a 36ft RV..

not all vans are Fiat .. my last Eurovan was a Karmann, VW LT35 base.. superb engine and lovely to drive..

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
European all the way.Good mileage, can go most places, enough space if your'e organised, great build quality and much easier on the eye!:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
never said I don't like them Craig.. .. for me they are just too expensive to run and limit where you can go .. and yes, I've had mine down narrow lanes and in many tight spots but it's far more relaxed in a European sized van .. be it made in the US or EU .. as Jim mentioned, with a Eurovan you can jump in and go just about anywhere, stay on any site, no planning required.. not so with a 36ft RV..

That's not really true Jim. Eurovans go from about 15' to 30', Rv's 22' to 39', so their's around 8' of overlap, at 30' I can go most places a eurovan can go, sloberdobs van at around 24' could go all the places a normal eurovan can go, and with his slides is probably as big inside as a 30' eurovan, whether you need this extra space with the consequent increase in fuel consumption is something only you can decide.

Ian

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I see the OP lives in Orkney, that should be something to be considered in the equasion..

Will the MH be taken there? Is there an added cost? Height etc..

Remember that if you come from the Orkneys to France then the cost bould be a LOT.. Orkneys to Dover 800 miles each way, so from the numbers supplied on here you are talking of approx £800 just to get to Dover.Thats for an RV..

Each to his her own, but cost must come into the calculation, after all its always a compromise...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I see the OP lives in Orkney, that should be something to be considered in the equasion..

Will the MH be taken there? Is there an added cost? Height etc..

Remember that if you come from the Orkneys to France then the cost bould be a LOT.. Orkneys to Dover 800 miles each way, so from the numbers supplied on here you are talking of approx £800 just to get to Dover.Thats for an RV..

Each to his her own, but cost must come into the calculation, after all its always a compromise...

Not in my case.
In my RV with Ford Triton V10 6.8l , 800 miles at 8.5 mpg on LPG .75p litre X 4.56 = £3.42 gallon = £321.88 :thumb:

Yes it is more expensive than a smaller motorhome but I wont compromise on comfort.:Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There have been a fair number of threads on Euro vs Yank. If you want to read all the merry banter just do a search of the forums. ::bigsmile:

In the end it all boils down to what works for you and only you can decide that. Enjoy whatever you end up with. :Smile:

For what it's worth, I fulltime in a Euro, love it and find Yanks vulgar. :reel:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Watching the way that some drive, I don't really think that size has such an impact as some think.

We are 32' now and will be towing a RIB on a trailer down to St Tropez in August so will be 55' 60' long! Launching is more of a problem though:ROFLMAO:

I toured Corsica in a 36" RV with no problems. Most places that we want to visit or are worth visiting end up with coach facilities:roflmto:

Also, Pickfords seem to get their lorries pretty much everywhere when people want to move

Eddie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back