Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Hi All,
Well, we're nearly back on the road again after the sad demise of our Talbot Express - we may yet live to regret it: bought a converted ambulance ... off eBay...
Does anyone else out there have one?
It's a Transit 190 diesel. I wondered what we might get to the gallon, haven't refilled it since getting it home.
We have removed some of the heavier fittings that had been left, and will probably remove the fold-down step at the back, as it seems unnecessary, a plastic step will do just as well (well, I'm probably the only one who would need it anyway as the other two are 6'4'!)
Wish me luck...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HERE you go :winky:
Link Removed
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hendrixfan

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Wow! What a lovely job!
Unfortunately ours isn't going to look anything like that! We are on a very tight budget (insurance from the other one has left us nothing to play with) so it's going to be very basic. At the moment we have someone stripping out all the old wiring to get a 12v supply in the back, as nothing seems to work at the moment; have been unable to test the fridge yet as no mains hook-up lead supplied and there are no gas drop-outs (yet) so don't want to use the gas. We won' be taking the back doors off as we will need to take furniture with us when we go to France, but I'm hoping a good heavy curtain will keep the draughts out(they don't fit very well). We want to keep the weight down as much as possible too, so won't have any fittings we don't actually need. Still waiting for our V5 to come back from DVLA, so fingers crossed they will o.k. it as a conversion, as it has already got sink, cooker, beds, washbasin etc
Watch this space...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would if I could work out how to; they are all too big (file size)

Hi you need to resize them (approx 1000 x 800 )-Depending on which program you use-look for edit-resize or say what you are using and someone on here will tell you exactly how to resize step by step :winky: scroll down to manage attachments and away you go ::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
my transit 190 luton van did 20MPG on a good day with the wind behind
you will get about the same from your ambulance conversion:Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
my transit 190 luton van did 20MPG on a good day with the wind behind
you will get about the same from your ambulance conversion:Blush:

They are not as big as the luton (frontage-more aero-dynamic)so around 25/27 mpg is easy to achieve :thumb:
terry

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Always fancied converting an ambulance. Any pics?

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
welcome to the club ( ex Ambulance club) :thumb::thumb::thumb: I have one too that I coverted myself.:Smile::Smile::Smile: Ive got pictures but I cant work out to resize them for posting. I used to use photobucket but they have changed the format and I cannot get to grips with it,:Doh::Doh::Doh::Sad::Sad::Sad:

Its a Montain body on a leyland daf 400 chassis, with a V8 rover engine( see my avatar) a club I belong to is the SMBCC was very helpful with the build. I would willingly email some piccies to you pm me if this helps. martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I convered an ambulance over the winter of 1997/98 - fortunately a local DIY store was closing down at the time so I was able to get lots of boarding cheap and they cut it to size for me FOC too. :thumb:

I picked up bits and pieces from all over the place as the ambulance, although it was supposedly part-converted, the only part that was worth keeping was the old style gas 2 ring/grill/oven cooker (cream enamel type) which worked a treat.

It had a 3 litre engine so it was a bit thirsty (not sure what your's is), we got around 18-20 mpg I think.

We kept the flip out rear step as it was nice to sit there on a warm summer's day, a good hiding place for stuff when closed :winky: and also, we made it so that we could leave it 'out' with the rear doors closed to carry our Honda NF75 (similar to at Honda 90) so we could take it away with us, very sturdy!:Smile:

Attachments

• Eeyore.jpg
    Eeyore.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 34
  • camper3 resized.jpg
    camper3 resized.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 34
  • camper1 resized.jpg
    camper1 resized.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 33
  • camper5.jpg
    camper5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 34
  • camper2.jpg
    camper2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Hendrixfan

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
What a great conversion. Ours seems to be turning into a money pit. Had to have loads of rewiring done, new front whee bearings, can't find a 15" spare wheel, lots of rot around the wheel arches and loads of filler slapped on anyhow. Don't know how it got through an MOT to be honest!:Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice one Minx :thumb: back in 97 that would have been as good a self build as any.Get your name added to the self build list ::bigsmile: you too Hendrixfan
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back