Amazon Gypsies .. Modern Migrants USA (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nothing to do with South America or the Amazon .. but a new breed of fulltimers in the USA .. many of whom are not doing it by choice ..

Hard-up retirees and unemployed workers with children have converged on this rural town in RVs and campers to spend a few months earning $10 per hour filling orders at an Amazon warehouse.

Amazon offers a free place to park and plug in. When work ends Christmas Eve, the campers pull out.

Many have lost their homes and live on the road, home schooling their children along the way. Others are retirees who had planned to see the country but now work along the way to supplement depleted investments. Those not old enough for Medicare typically lack insurance.

Modern migrants

“We are among the economic refugees. We are lucky to earn enough to get our laundry done and eat macaroni and cheese,” said April McFail, 52. “I think it says America needs something different. This is supposed to be freedom and a good life. Now it is a sad note.”

McFail's husband, Terry, lost his job last year at Dow Chemical earning $18 hourly in southern Michigan. They lost their home to foreclosure in May. Pooling $8,000 in savings, they purchased a 1987 Winnebago and hit the road. They worked as campground hosts in South Dakota for the summer, arriving in September to begin work at Amazon.

A short time later, April McFail's diabetes forced her to quit the Amazon job. She could not manage 10-hour shifts four days a week lifting packages up to 30 pounds each. Health-care benefits left over from her husband's job at Dow expire Tuesday.

Read more Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks Jim,,makes interesting reading,, looking at some of that we dont do bad.. feel sorry for this guy..
.............................................................................................................................

They live in a $275,000 Winnebago Vectra, a gleaming, top-of-the-line, spacious RV that logs 7 miles to the gallon. Still, Bill Judge, 72, said he took a graveyard shift at Amazon in hopes of earning up to $9,000 in four months. That will buy new tires for the RV at $600 apiece and finance upcoming trips.

The Seattle-based couple has lived the RV lifestyle since 1994, living on pensions acquired from union jobs at Boeing and service in the U.S. Air Force. To cope with less investment income, the couple said they often stay for free overnight in Wal-Mart parking lots.

“I did not imagine I would be working in a warehouse job in my retirement. I have not worked since 1994,” Bill Judge said. “I thought I might be picking up jobs around a campground.”

.....................................................................................................................
:whatthe:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Says a lot for healthcare in the States doesnt it.

The NHS looks prety damn good from where Im sitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Things arn't always as they seem, reality checks like these do no harm.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Says a lot for healthcare in the States doesnt it.

The NHS looks prety damn good from where Im sitting.

This country ain't so bad.

I get pi$$ed off as you all know but this is a good realty check.

I am tablet dependant sadly so need the NHS:thumb:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
amazon?

A SIGN OF THE TIMES TO REACH THE UK??? I think so, & quite possibly there will be some of us who will have to live like this in the UK. Don't think that we will have the level of Healthcare with the NHS that we have now, the system just can't support it.

The days of the Gold plated Public Sector pensions are gone (but still have to be maintained!)
Welcome to the real world. Look at what's happening with Irelands new austerity measures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back