Am I the only one with a Majestic MH? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Interesting that site..
Checking it, the owner has opted to have details unavailable to the public via nominet ( Whois )

Whilst there are obviously serious issues with the persons caravan, the fact that person has effectively put him self in hiding is a worry and makes me think of the words long term axe and grind

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking at prices you do seem to get a lot of MH for your money so I can see why they are popular. Typical prices about £40k from what I can see. My PVC was significantly the wrong side of £50k! But it did come with zero faults on delivery and the only fault in two and a half years of ownership was discolouration of a panel in the loo which they replaced recently free of charge when it was over two years old.

But it does amaze me to hear of the faults folk find on their MHs when they collect them. Not confined to just a few makes either, even the most expensive can have problems and I am not sure there is any make which is perfect.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Don't know who is behind this website but clearly they have a major gripe! http://www.elddis-solid.co.uk

It's a caravan, but presumably made in the same place and by the same people who make the MHs?
Thanks for the information
Just hope I don't need to use the new Consumer Rights Act
It's a 2016 model, here's hoping for a better outcome.
As has been stated elsewhere on this thread, all makes and models have their problems, what do you go for?
You can please some people some of the time not all the people all of the time.
Cheers
David&Barbara

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for the information
Just hope I don't need to use the new Consumer Rights Act
It's a 2016 model, here's hoping for a better outcome.
As has been stated elsewhere on this thread, all makes and models have their problems, what do you go for?
You can please some people some of the time not all the people all of the time.
Cheers
David&Barbara

Do as we do.. never buy a van that is less than 7 years old !
By that time anything that needs doing you can either see for your self or it has already been fixed (y)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Looking at prices you do seem to get a lot of MH for your money so I can see why they are popular. Typical prices about £40k from what I can see. My PVC was significantly the wrong side of £50k! But it did come with zero faults on delivery and the only fault in two and a half years of ownership was discolouration of a panel in the loo which they replaced recently free of charge when it was over two years old.

But it does amaze me to hear of the faults folk find on their MHs when they collect them. Not confined to just a few makes either, even the most expensive can have problems and I am not sure there is any make which is perfect.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should have done more research :(

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Do as we do.. never buy a van that is less than 7 years old !
By that time anything that needs doing you can either see for your self or it has already been fixed (y)
For and against really.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Interesting that site..
Checking it, the owner has opted to have details unavailable to the public via nominet ( Whois )

Whilst there are obviously serious issues with the persons caravan, the fact that person has effectively put him self in hiding is a worry and makes me think of the words long term axe and grind
Too true

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It must be pretty bloody awful to a announce the purchase of an expensive motor home only to hear people tear it apart.
I must admit I knew very little when we went out and bought our one. But unfortunately Eldis was a brand we were told to avoid.
But surely not all of them are that bad ? A few bad ones make headlines where the good ones don't get a mention ..

If it were me I think I would have to consider my position before continuing with the purchase.

Whatever I wish the OP all the best with it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It must be pretty bloody awful to a announce the purchase of an expensive motor home only to hear people tear it apart.
I must admit I knew very little when we went out and bought our one. But unfortunately Eldis was a brand we were told to avoid.
But surely not all of them are that bad ? A few bad ones make headlines where the good ones don't get a mention ..

If it were me I think I would have to consider my position before continuing with the purchase.

Whatever I wish the OP all the best with it.
Good point, we don't want to turn this into another reversing cameras thread! Which is why I suggested there probably isn't a make which doesn't suffer from a Friday afternoon vehicle from time to time.

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi @David&Barbara web bought one new in April this year, our first MH , we've been all over Europe in it and done over 7 thousand miles already and not a problem we're more than happy,

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Good point, we don't want to turn this into another reversing cameras thread! Which is why I suggested there probably isn't a make which doesn't suffer from a Friday afternoon vehicle from time to time.
Don't know what day it was built, suppose there is good and bad in everything..even people. ;)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Hi @David&Barbara web bought one new in April this year, our first MH , we've been all over Europe in it and done over 7 thousand miles already and not a problem we're more than happy,
Hi, Thanks for responding and having something positive to say about new MH's (y)
7k is going some and must have put your MH through it's paces so if there had of been something you would have found it by now. :)
It's a bit late to change my mind now as it's paid for, but feel as we have chosen the right one for us.
Maybe catch you further down the road and I don't mean on the side of the road!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hopefully any issues have now been resolved and you will take delivery of a cracking van.(y)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Hopefully any issues have now been resolved and you will take delivery of a cracking van.(y)
Just been down to see it (or should I say her, so it will be reliable) ;) and still love the new MH and due to take delivery on Friday.
It's nice of you take the time to send good wishes
Cheers
David&Barbara

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just been down to see it (or should I say her, so it will be reliable) ;) and still love the new MH and due to take delivery on Friday.
It's nice of you take the time to send good wishes
Cheers
David&Barbara
I think you are worrying about nothing really as I say we have had no trouble with our compass albeit a compleatly different model, just get it and enjoy and forget about what might have happened to others , surely they must have learned all the faults by now and put them right(y)(y)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@David&Barbara

Another vote for Marquis 155 here. Bought one in 2014 and LOVE it! It's a matter of preference and layout for everyone I know, but when we walk around the vans at each show, I find it hard to beat for facilities and value. Got a good deal from Marquis, including bike rack, updated TV aerial etc. etc thrown in. I've never had to take it back for any issue!

Personally, I've found their after sales fine. However, as there are very few MH dealers in Essex, it's a bit of a schlep for me to their dealership on the south coast.

Personally again, I'm not into flash cabinets, fittings or leather seats. I just wanted a functional van WITH all of the necessities, like plenty of socket outlets, storage, microwave, cab air-con etc BUT without the 50k+ price tag!

I guess the trend amongst Funsters seems to be towards Autotrails, Burstners, Hymers. Big trend at the mo' for German vans with comments like, "I'd never buy British". However, one then reads posts about problems no matter what you buy. Posts report disappointment and things falling off £70,000 vans!

I don't see many Majestic vans either, though plenty of lookalikes. All I can say is, I've been all over Europe in mine; nothing's fallen off and it hasn't missed a beat!

James

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Elddis have been in business for a long time. They sell a heck of a lot of units. If they were as bad as some would have you believe, they would have disappeared long ago.
Have fun with your new toy.:)
Hi, I intend to :)
I only wanted to know what people thought and seems as though I've opened up a right can of worms :ROFLMAO:
Only time will tell, I'm sure everything will be ok.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Elddis have been in business for a long time. They sell a heck of a lot of units. If they were as bad as some would have you believe, they would have disappeared long ago.

So have McDonalds.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi, I intend to :)
I only wanted to know what people thought and seems as though I've opened up a right can of worms :ROFLMAO:
Only time will tell, I'm sure everything will be ok.

The thing about asking on any web site about any product is there will always be someone who has had problems. Often voicing these will make them feel better but it's easy to forget in doing so it may unduly cause someone a bad day unecessary worry.

There is a big difference in voicing an opinion before someone buys and after. In the latter it's better to work on the old say something nice or say bugger all.

Hope you are happy with your van and have great times !

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
@David&Barbara

Another vote for Marquis 155 here. Bought one in 2014 and LOVE it! It's a matter of preference and layout for everyone I know, but when we walk around the vans at each show, I find it hard to beat for facilities and value. Got a good deal from Marquis, including bike rack, updated TV aerial etc. etc thrown in. I've never had to take it back for any issue!

Personally, I've found their after sales fine. However, as there are very few MH dealers in Essex, it's a bit of a schlep for me to their dealership on the south coast.

Personally again, I'm not into flash cabinets, fittings or leather seats. I just wanted a functional van WITH all of the necessities, like plenty of socket outlets, storage, microwave, cab air-con etc BUT without the 50k+ price tag!

I guess the trend amongst Funsters seems to be towards Autotrails, Burstners, Hymers. Big trend at the mo' for German vans with comments like, "I'd never buy British". However, one then reads posts about problems no matter what you buy. Posts report disappointment and things falling off £70,000 vans!

I don't see many Majestic vans either, though plenty of lookalikes. All I can say is, I've been all over Europe in mine; nothing's fallen off and it hasn't missed a beat!

James
Hi James,
It is so nice of you to send such a great testimonial for Marquis and about the Majestic 155.
Reading some posts, and between the lines I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right choice.
I like the honesty, good and bad, but you have restored my faith in the 155 as a good MH for us.
Yes you can get a rough one as with anything but now really looking forward to getting and trying it out for myself.
Cheers and many happy MH miles ahead. (y)

David&Barbara

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And a whole lot of folk ( like me ! ) could not survive without the occasional Maccy D !!

I know it was a silly comparison but the point I was trying to make is that longevity of the company and the number of units sold isn't necessarily an indicator of quality.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
The thing about asking on any web site about any product is there will always be someone who has had problems. Often voicing these will make them feel better but it's easy to forget in doing so it may unduly cause someone a bad day unecessary worry.

There is a big difference in voicing an opinion before someone buys and after. In the latter it's better to work on the old say something nice or say bugger all.

Hope you are happy with your van and have great times !
I like the comments thank you.
It's going to seem like a long week until Friday (delivery day)
Cheers
David&Barbara

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The thing is David is no matter what van we buy someone will say different.

I bought British for many reasons one being we just like our van and the size and layout suits us and given our use again it suits us. Another thing is I aint given up on everything British.

Our van was 18 months old when we bought it and since taking delivery I have systematically taken it apart and built it back doing many silly things that should have been done in the first place when it was built. Im talking really silly things like a few cable clips to stop cables rattling and extra modesty blocks and screws and a few well placed pieces of foam again to stop rattles and squeaks . Should I have had to do it ? Well of course not but did I mind ? No not a bit as now I know how the thing goes together and its as silent a drive as a van can be. Plus I have extra outlets and switches just where we want them.

I bet most people who are pedantic like me have to do the same no matter where the vans were built or who built them. I also bet very few buy a van and have Zero problems even if its only a wee squeak or rattle.

There are of course people who just don't hear the chorus of noises a van makes. Perhaps they are the ones who buy the perfect vans ? :D

For us our van was a major purchase paid for in full with money I/We have worked hard for ! I couldn't give a rubber duck about what anyone thinks about it either . Its ours we love it and its paid for.. Thatl do for me. (y)(y)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

I bought British for many reasons one being we just like our van and the size and layout suits us and given our use again it suits us. Another thing is I aint given up on everything British.

Our van was 18 months old when we bought it and since taking delivery I have systematically taken it apart and built it back doing many silly things that should have been done in the first place when it was built. Im talking really silly things like a few cable clips to stop cables rattling and extra modesty blocks and screws and a few well placed pieces of foam again to stop rattles and squeaks . Should I have had to do it ? Well of course not but did I mind ? No not a bit as now I know how the thing goes together and its as silent a drive as a van can be. Plus I have extra outlets and switches just where we want them.

I bet most people who are pedantic like me have to do the same no matter where the vans were built or who built them. I also bet very few buy a van and have Zero problems even if its only a wee squeak or rattle.

There are of course people who just don't hear the chorus of noises a van makes. Perhaps they are the ones who buy the perfect vans ? :D

For us our van was a major purchase paid for in full with money I/We have worked hard for ! I couldn't give a rubber duck about what anyone thinks about it either . Its ours we love it and its paid for.. Thatl do for me. (y)(y)(y)

Ah...but it is a panel van not a rot box

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies

I love the way you put it, couldn't have put it better myself. But I'm no Shakespeare :D
Vale of Evesham is a beautiful place, live just up the road (y)
I think I may just try it out before I start pulling it apart though :LOL:
Cheers
David&Barbara

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back