Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Done some research.
Having spoken to SVtech, if I go for an iveco I would need the heavier weight model as the 3500kg models wont uprate. So at least I know what I need.

Having been to 2 shows and looked at layouts Ive decided that I will ideally need an extra high base vehicle. The Ducato is virtually impossible to find on a low mileage L4 H3 (long and high). The Sprinter is the same scenario for a long or xtra long.

Id rather avoid new vans with the latest emission controls and adblue as its another thing to go wrong.

I have seen a couple of ready made vans, the Globecar familyscout L and the Carthago Malibu 640LE that I quite like

So I am tempted to go for an XLWB Iveco 50C15 if I do go down the made to measure avenue.

Ive looked at parts and if anyone can find Iveco Daily cab blinds I would be interested in where they have found them.

I need a long chat with @Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have seen a couple of ready made vans, the Globecar familyscout L and the Carthago Malibu 640LE that I quite like
We have the Globecar Campscout & are very pleased with it.
@Minxy Girl has a Familyscout. I can see that it's layout would suit you better than our Campscout, but they are very similar.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have the Globecar Campscout & are very pleased with it.
@Minxy Girl has a Familyscout. I can see that it's layout would suit you better than our Campscout, but they are very similar.
We've aready 'chatted' in PMs about the Familyscout so I've give him some info already but they are a pretty rare beast to get hold of in the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What are the axle weights? Are you sure it's the Maxi not the lightweight.
The Campscout is also on the XLWB Fiat chassis (6.36m) so it probably is the heavy Maxi but the layout is 2 single longitudinal beds in the rear and half dinette up front.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
What are the axle weights? Are you sure it's the Maxi not the lightweight.
It's not what they are - it's what they could be. Globecar plated it at 3500kg, so the axle weights relate to that. Can't remember off hand - something like 1800 & 2000 I think. But I think it can go to 4250 without any mods.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
The Campscout is also on the XLWB Fiat chassis (6.36m) so it probably is the heavy Maxi but the layout is 2 single longitudinal beds in the rear and half dinette up front.
Two singles or one very large double (that would comfortably sleep three abreast if you wanted to!). On ours, you can also make an additional transverse single in the dinette.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Are all the 6.36 ducatos on maxi chassis?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Are all the 6.36 ducatos on maxi chassis?
Can't say for certain but I would have thought so due to the extra length making the basic chassis heavier therefore if they weren't on the heavy chassis they probably wouldn't be able to take the extra load that commercial companies need and why they bought the XLWB ones in the first place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's not what they are - it's what they could be. Globecar plated it at 3500kg, so the axle weights relate to that. Can't remember off hand - something like 1800 & 2000 I think. But I think it can go to 4250 without any mods.
You need to check exactly what you have as the axle weights you've given AFAIK relate to the light chassis (ie max of 3800kg). The heavy chassis has axle weights of 2100 and 2400 (ie max of 4500). When Globecar plate them at 3500kg they only alter the overall maximum, not the axle weights.

This is the section off my FamilyScout L's Certificate of Conformity produced by Dethleffs and you can see that although the MTPLM is now 3500kg, the axle weights are still 2100kg and 2400kg which tells you it's the heavy chassis. If you have a MTPLM and axle weights of 1800kg and 2000kg then it's the light chassis.

upload_2016-6-30_9-24-22.png

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
My conversion is of a Fiat Ducato L4H3 Maxi with 3 litre engine.
I have a step up double floor, water tank sandwiched in between but waste under the vehicle.
Similar layout except, front lounge seat is longer 1.9m and pulls out as double bed, fridge on other side. Bed at the back is a single. We also have a large wardrode in effect above the feet end of the single bed.
We bought the van at 3 years old with 29000 miles. It had been used as a mobile workshop so relatively low mileage. We had it converted for us by Dalesman of Skipton a very small company.
We are plating it at 4000kg to give a little more payload for a longer trip abroad later.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My conversion is of a Fiat Ducato L4H3 Maxi with 3 litre engine.
I have a step up double floor, water tank sandwiched in between but waste under the vehicle.
Similar layout except, front lounge seat is longer 1.9m and pulls out as double bed, fridge on other side. Bed at the back is a single. We also have a large wardrode in effect above the feet end of the single bed.
We bought the van at 3 years old with 29000 miles. It had been used as a mobile workshop so relatively low mileage. We had it converted for us by Dalesman of Skipton a very small company.
We are plating it at 4000kg to give a little more payload for a longer trip abroad later.
You should be able to plate it at 4250kg without any mods - have a search on the forum for my posts about the chap I used to uprate ours as it's just a paper exercise and costs less than half what SVTech charge.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
You should be able to plate it at 4250kg without any mods - have a search on the forum for my posts about the chap I used to uprate ours as it's just a paper exercise and costs less than half what SVTech charge.
Yep, I have done that and I am using him, John Ruffles, and he has come back with 4000kg, its sufficient for our needs. BTW your work on this was really helpful.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
When Globecar plate them at 3500kg they only alter the overall maximum, not the axle weights.
You are correct. I hadn't checked, as I'm not currently looking to uprate, but as you say, they are 2100 & 2400, both on the CoC & on the vehicle plate.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Done some research.
Having spoken to SVtech, if I go for an iveco I would need the heavier weight model as the 3500kg models wont uprate. So at least I know what I need.

Having been to 2 shows and looked at layouts Ive decided that I will ideally need an extra high base vehicle. The Ducato is virtually impossible to find on a low mileage L4 H3 (long and high). The Sprinter is the same scenario for a long or xtra long.

Id rather avoid new vans with the latest emission controls and adblue as its another thing to go wrong.

So I am tempted to go for an XLWB Iveco 50C15 if I do go down the made to measure avenue.

Ive looked at parts and if anyone can find Iveco Daily cab blinds I would be interested in where they have found them.

I need a long chat with @Terry
No probs call me anytime -just been out of touch for the last 12 days or so at both Misterton and Bagwell
terry

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
how about this one old but almost new
Broken Link Removed
I have been thinking about that one. The only downside is its got no cab aircon, which was putting me off.
I can't seen to find anyone doing cab screen blinds for the iveco. I really do want cab blinds.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's not popular enought for Remis blinds and I don't know anyone that makes them for Iveco's-edit I will ask around
terry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Why?o_O it'll never be as good as the Frankia
We've considered a self build a few times but to be honest its never going to be a patch on our tag axle Hymer or worth as much come resale time.
Always liked the idea but when we do our research it just doesn't make sense.
Each to their own though.
Good Luck(y)

Agree resale is the problem,,,,Crap with a name will always hold its value better than a quality self build. Wrong but a fact,,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The dream is over. I put a deposit down on a Globecar. Got a deal that made self building not worth me doing.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
The dream is over. I put a deposit down on a Globecar. Got a deal that made self building not worth me doing.
Good choice (but then I'm biased :)).

Which model did you go for?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
We are very happy with our Campscout - which is just as well as it was the only PVC we could find that had a suitable space for the electric wheelchair.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
At last you're getting something that you can get the ruddy full size zebra into and out of your conservatory ... you'll be able to sell it at a car boot sale now!!! :LOL:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
At last you're getting something that you can get the ruddy full size zebra into and out of your conservatory ... you'll be able to sell it at a car boot sale now!!! :LOL:
Already sold her. It turned out she was trans-specis as she has now had cosmetic surgery and lives her life as a brown horse.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought the globecars didn't have 3 way fridges, only electric /12v?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back