Am I mad (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are thinking of selling our Frankia tag axle motorhome and having an Extra long wheelbase, extra high Iveco or Mercedes Sprinter built. Our Frankia has every possible luxury and bags of space so getting the layout right is really important. I will hopefully be doing this with the help of @Terry

On the extra high PVCs we can fit a double floor below the rear bed and high level locker space is very good, theres even a large over cab area for storage so plenty of storage space.

We want a big tall fridge, seating and beds for 4 (occasionally) 2 to 3 regularly and enough room to swing a Macaw (bigger than a cat)

Ive worked out a preliminary layout that seems to physically fit, I haven't decided where the double floor will end yet.

The rear bed will fold back into a couch giving the option of using the rear space as a second lounge or garage space, but will be left as a bed 99% of the time.

Any suggestions are appreciated
vanpic.JPG

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have a converted Transit Jumbo about same size. That plan looks OK apart from the rear end which is too small for a double.
Are you sure of the width?. Don't think mine is 180 wide.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have a converted Transit Jumbo about same size. That plan looks OK apart from the rear end which is too small for a double.
Are you sure of the width?. Don't think mine is 180 wide.

Yes the Iveco is 180cm, The Merc is 178cm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jez did you measure rib to rib rather than panel to panel ? good job you are not that tall :) yep layout would work and you can come across the door opening quite a bit more with Kitchen area -Could make the L shape so it converts into 3/4 double bed -No doubt a lot more suggestions will come along between now and starting your build(y)
terry

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi Jez did you measure rib to rib rather than panel to panel ? good job you are not that tall :) yep layout would work and you can come across the door opening quite a bit more with Kitchen area -Could make the L shape so it converts into 3/4 double bed -No doubt a lot more suggestions will come along between now and starting your build(y)
terry

Going by manufacturers measurements, I need to get out and measure one in person.
Yes was going to do the 3/4 bed in the dinette.

The other issue is wheel arches, but with the xtra high top we may be able to rause the floor to minimise the issue. My Frankia has a raised area from the bathroom back, It gives minimal headroom but works well.

I was wondering what the highest weight a 3500kg iveco can be plated upto as it would mean narrower wheel arches on the 4 wheel version vs the 6 wheel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Wheel arches will be under the bed / fridge/freezer / sink so no problem -seats/bed are usually just high enough to incorporate wheel arches
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I THINK SINGLE WHEEL VANS CAN GO TO 5 TONS POSS 6 T but you need to check -I have had a single wheel 5 ton
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Why?o_O it'll never be as good as the Frankia
We've considered a self build a few times but to be honest its never going to be a patch on our tag axle Hymer or worth as much come resale time.
Always liked the idea but when we do our research it just doesn't make sense.
Each to their own though.
Good Luck(y)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why?o_O it'll never be as good as the Frankia
We've considered a self build a few times but to be honest its never going to be a patch on our tag axle Hymer or worth as much come resale time.
Always liked the idea but when we do our research it just doesn't make sense.
Each to their own though.
Good Luck(y)
Well if I can find the right base vehicle I can have all the features we like in the Frankia but exactly to suit us.
With the current cost of PVCs it may make more sense than buying a branded prebuilt van I would save money up front when buying, so it's pretty much swings and roundabouts.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It seems EXLWB Extra high top vans with low mileage are rarer than hens teeth.

Ive been looking at the globecar family scout L which seems to have a similar layout to my design, so I am going to see if there are any at Newbury to get ideas. Hope I dont like them too much and buy one!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ever thought of looking at mini buses ? easy to take out and sheet over all that glass-some nice shaped ones around
terry

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes been looking at them, the good ones seem to be either high mileage or ex council which have had a hard stop start life. Im even considering library buses, but the re-selling later would be virtually impossible.
Nice, but not at 20K

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The 3rd one looks promising. What weight can they be plated up to? Also, if I'm spending over 13k on the base vehicle I need to work an accurate estimate for the conversion. Otherwise It can be cheaper yo buy an RS equinox.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A Ducato on the Maxi chassis should be easily uprated to 4250 kg with just a paper exercise - ours can.

The one thing missing in your design is a wardrobe and overall storage space looks negligible apart from what you can squeeze under the beds. We have under bed storage, a wardrobe and I've fitted a back box on our PVC and I can't say we have too much storage.

If there are mostly just going to be two of you why not just take a tent for the few times you might have guests? I think you also need to be very sure about how you carry any passengers in a self-build, taking into account the need for seat belts.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A Ducato on the Maxi chassis should be easily uprated to 4250 kg with just a paper exercise - ours can.

The one thing missing in your design is a wardrobe and overall storage space looks negligible apart from what you can squeeze under the beds. We have under bed storage, a wardrobe and I've fitted a back box on our PVC and I can't say we have too much storage.

If there are mostly just going to be two of you why not just take a tent for the few times you might have guests? I think you also need to be very sure about how you carry any passengers in a self-build, taking into account the need for seat belts.
I was considering a cupboard above the fridge. But if I am using an extra high iveco your merc I would have room for extra tall side lockers around the top. There is also an over cab area and I have room to raise the floor at the rear to create extra under floor storage.
Yes I would need the rear 2 seats to have proper belts.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jez I end up putting anything from 5k to 7k ish into a van -soon adds up -windows and roof lights being the most expensive ;)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Have you considered buying a new van for conversion ?

Some great deals on L3 H3 vans. Ducato/Boxer/Relay all available with big discounts...

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
love my RWD, loads of vans about but nearly all FWD, I rate the Iveco just in front of the Sprinter, if it was for a conversion I would prefer to see the inside without brand new plywood panels fitted, gives a better idea of previous use.
looking at the ebay links, 130bhp is bad enough but 106bhp would be crap

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi Jez I end up putting anything from 5k to 7k ish into a van -soon adds up -windows and roof lights being the most expensive ;)
Yep, I ve seen the prices of the bits I know I need and I have an expensive taste on finishes. I like Magnums curved doors for one expensive option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back