Always keep a copy of your no claims discount

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davanne, Apr 4, 2014.

1. davanne

davanne Funster

Always keep a copy of your no claims discount when you change insurer.
    I have just had a problem when I changed insurer they changed the goalposts 2 weeks into policy and asked me for proof of no claims when told at inception of policy they didn't need it.
    No problem I thought but I was forgetting I had only been with my last insurers for 3 years. Contacted the insurer I had been with previous to them who incidentally I am still with for house insurance to be told yes you cancelled policy in 2010 and been with us for 5 years but we don't keep details of claims from 2 years after the policy finished.
    So they have everything else on file but have deleted no claims history .
    I could understand if I hadn't got the house insurance with them as I would be a lapsed customer .
    Anyway motorhome insurance then say that will be another £85 please.
    I cancelled policy it was cheaper to cancel and thanks to Jims post re AIB insurance giving good discounts to funsters I am now the happy owner of insurance through them.:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  2. sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit Read Only Funster

your NCD is only valid for 2 years when no policy is in force............i thought EVERYONE knew that!

3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Many motorhome insurers don't take your no claims into account - comfort don't - but they will hold it on file so that it doesn't lapse
    I had max on my car which I sold - our other car is in jackies name - but as I couldn't use it on the motorhome it's on file with comfort and will remain valid if I ever need it - apparently:Smile:

4. davanne

davanne Funster

No need for sarcasm ......I did have a policy in force there was no lapse in insurance.

5. sedge

sedge Funster

I'm very confused.

Sadlonelygit wasn't being sarky I don't think?

The last but one's NCD would have been transferred to the last insurer eg you had Nil NCD when you started with the first, you had 3 years NCD when you got to the next one, now 12 months later, THEY give you proof of FOUR years NCD.

Certainly ALL motor insurers had to do this from time immemorial, but I've been retired from the industry a while and only briefly handled private insurances of any type anyway.

Or are the last insurer saying they won't, or something?

6. davanne

davanne Funster

I to the impression the op was being sarcastic as he put EVERYBODY in capitals.

My last insurer don't ask for proof of no claims so the no claims I had before that wasn't carried over which is why I am saying you should always keep any documentation. Had my last insurer needed proof I wouldn't have had this problem as it would have been transferred over.
    They are saying that they don't keep records after two years. They can confirm I was insured for 5 years but not that I hadn't had any claims even though I hadn't and have other insurance with them.
    As I said I now have insurance through AIB who Jim told us about in a post recently.

7. maison

maison Funster

When we changed back to Motorhoming last year after a few years with caravans, my NCD was transferred from my towing car, (which I had sold and, therefore, no longer needed to insure), to the M/H. No problems.

Insured through Camping and Caravanning Club.:thumb:

8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I thought that these days all insurers share information. I'm sure they do for claims. I have heard of an instance where they accepted a declaration of NCB in lieu of actual proof.

9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we had exactly the same happen to us the insurers we went with didnt ask for proof just taking your word for what you had we stayed with them for three years and when we wanted to change they would only give us proof of the three years with them and by that time we had no idea where we were previously