Alu-gas refillable gas cylinders. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Can anyone out there tell me the cheapest way to get the aluminium refillable system (self fit)
And has anyone got it fitted ? and finally, 2 bottles or 1, with a UK spare in case it runs out ??We have the literature to find gas stations in France and Spain and I was thinking about just 1 bottle to cut down on weight and cost and free up a bit of the gas locker for the Cadac BBQ.
BUT any and all advice will be appreciated.. Mitch.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I self fitted a pair of refillable cylinders last year and bought the full european adaptor kit. I also fitted an exterior fill point as the rules are changing making bottle filling illegal.
There are so many filing stations now a pair was the best option especially whilst touring in Europe. The prices have gone up a lot in a year but it is still much less than half the exchange cylinder price. Carrying a UK spare will be a waste as it will defeat the object of cheaper gas over the long term. Two cylinders, exterior fill point, all hoses and European adaptors cost me £260. Prices vary depending on the brand name but, like everything else, they are most probably manufactured by the same company and distributed under different names. Since fitting them I have saved enough on bottle gas to pay for the refillable kit in about tthree years. Make sure when you fit them to make it easy to remove when you change your van.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just fitted a 11kg gasit bottle and fittings using a calorlitte 6kg as a back up.

Gasit is a lot cheaper than both alugas and gaslow, also have look at their filler fittings big variety and half the price.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi, I had the 2 x 11kg Alugas bottles fitted last November because of the weight factor and ease of filling up at any LPG/petrol gge, plus the agravation factor of trying to find a place to change bottles or get them filled, Now the 2 x 11kg bottles for a start weigh almost nothing, cannot belive how light they are, i can pick 1 bottle up with 1 finger seriously, that is how light they are, so massive saving on the weight issiue which is very important on my van, 2nd the ease of filling is a breeze just find your LPG petrol gge on road somewhere plug in and fill simples, no worrying about trying to find place to exchange or fill bottles, takes so much worry out of motorhoming, best thing i have done, although expencive to fit in first place, it is the weight issuie and the ease of filling anyware in any country that is the main factor in having the Alugas sytem fitted + no insurance problems on self fit as have certificate now for fitting. Best of luck Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Just bought and fitted a single 11kg gas it bottle for £162.70, cant really see the point in paying a lot more for an ali bottles as the whole idea is not to move it around, and the weight difference is a couple of kilos. If you have to worry about that kind of weight saving then I would suggest you hav to much stuff.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Had an 11 kg Alugas bottle and external filler fitted by Dave Newall at the Lincoln show (and purchased all the adaptors), best thing we ever did, like you we have a Tracker so only room for a single 11 kg cylinder. We kept our 6 kg calor lite in the locker as a spare but never had cause to use it.

Just top up whenever you find a garage selling lpg even if just a few litres.

As said by another poster the difference in weight between the steel Gaslow/Gasit and the alugas cylinders is considerable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Refillable gas cylinders

Many thanks you guys, I do like to try and keep the weight down, as you say Flatpackchicken We DO have a"bit" of kit, but then 3 months does tend to make us think "might just need that". Think I will go down the single bottle way like you Stewart J and stick the cadac in beside it. Thanks very much chaps.. Mitch..

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Many thanks you guys, I do like to try and keep the weight down, as you say Flatpackchicken We DO have a"bit" of kit, but then 3 months does tend to make us think "might just need that". Think I will go down the single bottle way like you Stewart J and stick the cadac in beside it. Thanks very much chaps.. Mitch..

Mitch when you purchase the Alugas cylinder it comes with a bolted on lifting collar, undo the bolts and remove it makes for better headroom to read contents gauge etc. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back