Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3rd post from me - I do like to get value for my £10 ::bigsmile:

Our 1998 Hymer B654 has had a squeal from under the bonnet that I took to be alternator belt or similar

Anyhoo, driving from North Wales, we stopped for a break and then carried on - everything seemed normal.

After about an hour, I noticed that I had lost the use of my indicators. Further checks revealed that I also lost my lights, horn, radio, but blower & cigarette lighter were still functional. I stopped and the main battery was too low to turn the starter, though I did have panel lights.
Overnight I charged the battery
The following day it started 1st turn of the key and all electrics were back. I drove the remaining 2 hours home and everything was working fine (proving all fuses & connections)
At home I turned the ignition key off & on and there was nothing no clicks, panel lights nada

Under the bonnet the +ve lead had come off the battery (removed when re charging, clearly not re connected properly)

So, in summary
I drove 2 hours with the battery connected and it was flattened (dodgy alternator ?)
I then drove upto 2 hours on alternator only and everything was ok

A battery check today gave a good healthy result - but the alternator test didn't find any charge

Is this just a dead/dying alternator - or something more sinister ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sounds like alternator failure and as the power drops off in the battery things stop working . .dont know if yours as that system but many do . volvo cars used to be like it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back