Alternator Conundrum

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by garlicmonster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. garlicmonster

garlicmonster Read Only Funster

3rd post from me - I do like to get value for my £10 :BigGrin:

Our 1998 Hymer B654 has had a squeal from under the bonnet that I took to be alternator belt or similar

Anyhoo, driving from North Wales, we stopped for a break and then carried on - everything seemed normal.

After about an hour, I noticed that I had lost the use of my indicators. Further checks revealed that I also lost my lights, horn, radio, but blower & cigarette lighter were still functional. I stopped and the main battery was too low to turn the starter, though I did have panel lights.
    Overnight I charged the battery
    The following day it started 1st turn of the key and all electrics were back. I drove the remaining 2 hours home and everything was working fine (proving all fuses & connections)
    At home I turned the ignition key off & on and there was nothing no clicks, panel lights nada

Under the bonnet the +ve lead had come off the battery (removed when re charging, clearly not re connected properly)

So, in summary
    I drove 2 hours with the battery connected and it was flattened (dodgy alternator ?)
    I then drove upto 2 hours on alternator only and everything was ok

A battery check today gave a good healthy result - but the alternator test didn't find any charge

Is this just a dead/dying alternator - or something more sinister ?

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

sounds like alternator failure and as the power drops off in the battery things stop working . .dont know if yours as that system but many do . volvo cars used to be like it .