Alternator: Charging leisure batteries ... (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For those who don't use camp sites and depend on using the alternator as a charger .. this may be a worth while investment ..

THE PROBLEM:
Standard alternators are not designed to be good battery chargers; they are designed only to charge an engine start battery sufficiently to start the engine. Because of this inherent design problem associated with the standard regulator, a more advanced regulator is required which in effect converts the alternators from a constant voltage power supply to the latest 4-step constant current battery charger (see battery charger graphs). Because of this improvement in the alternator control system, these regulators dramatically enhance the alternator's charge rates by between 200-2000%,depending on how poor the original system is.
SOLUTION

Link Removed

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
For those who don't use camp sites and depend on using the alternator as a charger .. this may be a worth while investment ..

THE PROBLEM:

SOLUTION

Link Removed

I fitted one of these onto my Yacht but it was made by "Adverc" and it done a great job and would recommend them. However I have reason to believe that computer controlled engines already have this type of control of the battery. IE when I measure the engine battery voltage when the engine is running the voltage is above 14.0 volts, now this is not possible with an alternator that is controlled by a machine sense voltage control.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back