TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have decided to go the same way , i have ordered 3 x 130 AH batteries and 1 x Sterling BBW1260.

P.S of the 3 batteries 1 will be replacing the existing leisure battery , then the other two will be additional leisure batteries , Am i correct in thinking that i do not have to change the Cab battery as well ?? ,, with it not being new sure it will not effect the new leisure bank ??

Are you sure you've got room for 3 batteries? I'd be struggling to find space for the third, and I think your van is very similar to mine. They'll need to be properly fitted, vented and wired up.

The battery mate I referred to in my original reply is a gizmo that keeps your cab battery topped up (if needed) from the leisure batteries if/when there is spare juice. Not expensive and probably worth adding to what you are planning. You don't need to worry about the cab battery.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our set up is as follows.........

2 x 6v traction batteries @225A (good for deep discharge).
2 x 85A solar panels.
1 x Sterling B2B 12/50
1 x Electrolux Traveller generator (inherited and inbuilt).

Oh yes, I forgot............. and 1 x BCM1 (from CAK Tanks) that @TerryL refers to in his posts above. A really handy little gizmo, that gives up to 4A charge to the starter battery.
The same as this one................but not from that seller.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Are you sure you've got room for 3 batteries? I'd be struggling to find space for the third, and I think your van is very similar to mine. They'll need to be properly fitted, vented and wired up.

The battery mate I referred to in my original reply is a gizmo that keeps your cab battery topped up (if needed) from the leisure batteries if/when there is spare juice. Not expensive and probably worth adding to what you are planning. You don't need to worry about the cab battery.
The single leisure battery ATM is in a battery box recessed into the floor which is below a double seat right behind the passengers seat , What i plan to do is replace that with 1 of the new batteries , then on top of that make a box to contain the other two batteries ( i have room there for 3 , but two up top is loads ) , this will be sealed with a ventilation pipe going from it down to the original battery box below it where it will vent to the outside of the vehicle , btw see any gasses that might come from the batteries , does anyone know if the gas is heavier than air and sinks to the ground or is it lighter and rises , just so i know is it best to position the vent up high or low in the battery box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
As far as I am aware the gas produced is Hydrogen which is highly explosive and rises in air!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
My 3 x batteries arrived today along with my BBW1260 Steerling B2B charger.
so my batteries are as follows : Maintenance Free Advance Calcium Technology
Amazon product ASIN B01DT5GA7ENow my problem is i'm not sure what charging setting to put the B2B charger on to ensure the battery gets the correct Voltage , see Page 6 at bottom.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._41ed676a-c2b5-45ae-b346-e56ccbfc680a.pdf?479
I have e.mailed the Battery manufacture to see if they could tell me the voltage charging range for this battery , but have got no response.
To me looking at the battery its a sealed battery , so that would be setting 3 ( Sealed ), but then i see in the battery description "Maintenance Free Advance Calcium Technology" does that mean its Calcium and i should set it to Setting 7 ( Calcium ).
I so unsure ......

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Mine are set to no.3 sealed
Cheers Andy would 3 be fine for my batteries as well then that i bought and linked above , as yes i would of called them sealed,, but then i was not sure when it said calcium in the battery discription & seing Calcium as a setting on the B2B.
So set it to 3 u recon ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for clearing that up Andy :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So it's an x250 ?
Basically you'll be drilling through the floor near the liesure battery to run the 25mm2 positive to the starter battery under the floor at 1 o'clock from the passenger seat
@Techno Andy what do i do with the Existing Brown wires that are connected to the + side of my Leisure battery "see photo"

leisurebattery.jpg

At first i thought that the new cable that you mentioned above for me to install would be replacing the existing one ( the two brown leads in photo ) but then i thought if it is to "replace them" then how does the leisure side get any power as them two brown leads do not seem to connect directly to my Cab battery as there is only Red & one black&grey cable connected to the positive of the Cab battery if that makes sense.

FrontBattery.jpg
Or am i just adding that 25mm2 wire between the Cab battery and the B2B charger input as an additional wire and the Brown wires attached to the positive on my Leisure Batteries remain the same , and they do not need upgraded, i do know that connect the neutral to bat 1 and the positive to bat 3 of the parallel Leisure battery bank.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Or am i just adding that 25mm2 wire between the Cab battery and the B2B charger input as an additional wire and the Brown wires attached to the positive on my Leisure Batteries remain the same , and they do not need upgraded, i do know that connect the neutral to bat 1 and the positive to bat 3 of the parallel Leisure battery bank.
Yes you're not removing anything

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ok thanks Andy
And is it best to have BOTH the positive output from the B2B charger and the original Positive connector from the leisure battery connected at the same battery , or have the power coming into one side of the battery bank then it being drawn from the other side of the battery bank as per my lovely pic below.
Edit i made a lovely picture :) ,, no laughing pleaseeee!!!!

wiring.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
ok thanks Andy
And is it best to have BOTH the positive output from the B2B charger and the original Positive connector from the leisure battery connected at the same battery , or have the power coming into one side of the battery bank then it being drawn from the other side of the battery bank as per my lovely pic below.
Edit i made a lovely picture :) ,, no laughing pleaseeee!!!!

View attachment 116597
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/alternator-amperage.134266/page-3#post-1940930

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
B2B charger out red wire to brown original wires positive terminal
ok so have the out from the b2b charger and the original brown wire connected to the SAME positive terminal then ? with the neutral connected to the other end of the bank
Thanks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's just the same as yours apart from the red and black on the right battery go to the other two batteries out of view and my browns are red

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
and is that positive terminal top left of the picture your output as such to the leisure side then, the one with like the connection bar on it

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks , will have a go at getting it wired at the weekend :) thanks again for the help!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Techno Andy a few more Q's
The battery temp sensor , does it matter which battery negative terminal i put it on ?
Also Does the BBW1260 get hot , as im worried a bit about circulation where i have to put mine ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm sure the unit will protect itself but I put a vent in to ensure free air flow anyway
I really cannot recall where the thread was were I installed this but I host my own pictures
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ah thanks Andy yar seen them pics before but thought i would ask as mine is stuck in a corner similar to yours.
I see your batteries are not enclosed , lol ive spent ages sorting out a sealed battery box minus the vent so far , as was worried about gasses , seems i may as well not bothered as you are still alive , and yours are not in a sealed battery box.
Makes me feel more at ease now :D
Have to order more cable as ofc as usual i never ordered enough :(

Yip i read it has an algorithm built in to protect itself , when it gets to warm it slows down , so it is not producing as much heat.
But that i do not want to happen , then as it would be running like 50% power. so if that happens then ill have to sort something out.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back