Alternatives and suggestions for mp3 car playback

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by GIBLA53, Dec 17, 2009.

1. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

I have a good incar stereo with 6cd multichanger but no auxillary input . I also have a good Sony mp3 player but other than me recording audio (cd only plays these) discs i am rather stuck .The stereo has steering wheel controls so i am a bit reluctant to spend min.£70 for a reasonable replacement where i lose this feature . Griffin/Belkin make some gadgets where the problem is possibly overcome using FM. "blank" stations . Eventually i think i may have explained the position HAS ANY TECHNOS GOT A GOOD SOLUTION ? I promise they will be Thanked!!!!!!! Al

2. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

We have a radio with an aux input both in the car and the m/home but also use a Belkin FM transmitter for odd things as well.

It can be used for MP3s also for an Archos and several other bits of kit. The best bit though is we attach it to the tv headphone out and play the audio through the 'vans 4 speaker stereo system when we are watching a movie - not really surround sound but not bad at all.

By the way if you are using a Belkin some distance from the radio antenna you may need to boost the power of the Belkin. There are some good modification instructions on www.instructables.com

3. bashers

bashers Read Only Funster

I have a griffin fm trasnmitter i used in the car for a while.

Whilst the sound is quite good, you have to keep changing frequency as you drive around as "free" stations become busy as you move to different areas. Almost useless in london with its legendary pirate radio stations

It'll be great if you're static but could become annoying if you're driving.

Spending some cash here may be your only option.

BUT, do some research on-line about your head-unit (which you've omitted to list) as you may find it has an aux input on the back for a phone input which you may be able to utilise with the addition of a cable.
    Following this train of thought, you may be able to replace your head unit for a model up for example which you may get very cheaply on eBay which has this feature, and bob's your uncle

Personally i bought a Panasonic DVD/DIVX/MP3 player from Amazon which has front and back inputs with video outputs and now i'm spoilt for choice.
    That cost £88!

4. Fatalhud

Fatalhud Read Only Funster

There is only one solution

8 track:Wink::Wink::Wink::BigGrin::BigGrin::Blush:

5. bashers

or vinyl!!

[​IMG]

6. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Have you checked to see if there is an spare input to the back of your stereo . I never found the sound all that good through the fm gadgets:thumb:

7. bashers

I've noticed from your profile you have the navara/5er rig and with a 6 cd you must have the aventura (as i have had myself until recently)

There is no upgrade to the head-unit for aux input but if this is the new D40 model, you should be able to play MP3 CDs in that CD changer as i did.

8. GIBLA53

2007 Navara Nav. Outlaw tried mp3 disc it wont have it -audio only Alan

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

I have a Belkin transmitter, I dont use it in the car to much but do use it in the van.

Tune it into any blank fm station and play it through the habitation speakers.

Their ok but if you like your music to be perfect their not the job for you

They are cheap to buy and so its worth getting one to see what you think.

Jim

:Smile:

10. MIN663

MIN663 Read Only Funster

11. John H

John H Read Only Funster

I've seen the same system with a cd instead of a cassette, I've used the cassette system and it worked very well.

Regards, john

12. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

If you decide to replace the head unit there are adaptors available for about £35 to adapt the new head unit remote control input for use on the existing steering controls. Replaced our Ford double DIN unit for a single DIN Pioneer with built-in mp3/sd card/usb/CD player and it works well.

I seem to remember seeing some in Halfords by Multistalk.

13. GIBLA53

Eventually settled on a Gizmo FM transmitter and it works -this was only a £9 outlay so was dubious it is very good with a 12 volt supply, there is ocassional break up but just did Midlands to Costa Brava and if it broke up for 10 mins max includind via London and Paris thanks again for the suggestions it certainly has saved a few bob. Al