Alternative tyres for 22 1/2" wheels (1 Viewer)

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Anyone swapped over from the very expensive Michellin 235R8022.5 to the much cheaper 255R7022.5. If so how did it go and were there any problems? The weight and speed ratings are good, the dimensions not much different; the only issue I can think of is dual spacing, but that can be cured with spacers if need be.
Look forward to getting some feedback
Richard

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Rv Tyres

Hi

Do not know about 22.5" tyres But I did some research on 19.5" (2007) the problem is with spacing on the rear duals, the use of "spacers" in not advised, (at least by everyone I spoke too!!, even on USA forums) mainly as it complicates proper wheel alignment, so its a set of Rims too, if you can find them. If you go this route Post it up as I would (still) be interested in changing to 225R. (though not for another 5 years, as it cost me £1500 notes to change all mine!!.

pete

monaco

Free Member
Jul 21, 2008
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
American A
Exp
7 years
Hi
your thoughts on changing tyre sizes

general american rear wheel spacing is very generous and I don't think it would
be a problem but don't use any spacers because the wheels will work loose if you do.

regards monaco

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Re Tyre sizes,
I have two Rvs(Not Boasting wish I hadn't) Both on Ford chassis and 19.5 tyres one has the 225 and the other 245 they do not have the same rims the 245 tyres are a deeper offset that compensate for the duel spacing,
Spacers do not come recommended as the thickness reqd compromises the stud length,
Have you considered any effects changing rolling radius of the tyre may have on cruise control and ecu/gearbox programing:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
F

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Have you considered any effects changing rolling radius of the tyre may have on cruise control and ecu/gearbox programing:Doh: Geo[/QUOTE said:
:Doh::Doh::Doh: Nope, I hadn't! Mind you, there's only 2% difference in rolling circumference, so chances are it may not make much difference. I suspect that it could all be reprogrammed anyway. Still, someting else to look into before making the decision. Cheers!

OP
OP
F

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Thanks for all the posts guys, very helpful especially the spacer issue. Looking at the rear of mine, there's a chasm between the duals so I'm figuring I can lose half an inch. I won't know for sure until I'm off site and on the road again next week, when she's sitting with all her weight on the ground. I have clearance enough for the bodywork and the ratings all match, so maybe it's all looking good. The two reasons for doing this is availability (the 255s being easier to source abroad) and price. I can more or less get a full set of 255s for the price of a couple of the Michelins. As my tyres are beginning to age, it's something I'm looking at having to do in the not too distant future anyway hence the cost cutting excercise!!:winky:

Spoke to Sintons and they have a document that seems to say that the 255s are a good replacement for the 235s, so long as the clearances are OK.

Cheers for now
Richard

monaco

Free Member
Jul 21, 2008
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
American A
Exp
7 years
22.5 tyre upgrade

Hi, My first dynasty was fitted with 255x22.5 tyres and I found them hard to source it was mainly fleets like the British telecom that run them so I whent
to 275x22.5 instead. but when we were on the continent i used to carry a spare
tyre.working on the therory that you could get a tyre changed any where but you might have trouble getting a new one.
I expect that your running 10 stud wheels and the american and continental stud patterns are different.

regards

OP
OP
F

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Latest news is this: I needed to make a decision as three of my tyres are so perished as to be borderline MOT failure. Gary, who works alongside M-Liner in Alloa came up with some 275/70R22.5s which are so close to the 235s as to be almost no difference, despite the supposed 40mm difference in width. He's tested these tyres on the duals and the fronts for spacing and everything is hunky-dory on that front. any how, they're going to be fitted so I'll let you know how they work. Also my bank balance will be over £1500 better off from original spec tyres and I can get replacements anywhere! So far a win-win situation::bigsmile:

stanfreeman

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
lutterworth leices
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
over 20 years
rv tyres

Hi If anybody is interested i have one 235x22.5 mitchlin rv tyre for sale only coverd 3500 miles been stored in the dry no cracks on the walls £100.

Stan

monaco

Free Member
Jul 21, 2008
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
American A
Exp
7 years
upgradeing tyres

Hi All

My monaco Dynasty has been upgraded to 295/22.5 tyres no problems until
it was parked up for a while and the air leeked out from the air bags on the suspention.
the body then sat down on top of the rear tyres flexing the wheel arches. The solution to
this was to put a larger bump stop between the rea sub frame and the body. no big deal
but would do damage if left

kind regards monaco

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back