ALTERNATIVE TV CHANNELS

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Clever Claire, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Thanks to all those who have answered my questions so far about satellite TV reception. I think I am beginning to understand how things do and don't work, but here is another question for you experts.
    Once you are motoring south and your Astra 28 reception is a thing of the past, has anyone discovered any other watchable and mildly interesting (in the loosest sense of the word!) English programmes on any of the other satellites that can be received in Spain or Portugal.

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can get BBC World - which is useful for telling you the main headlines but it is a bit repetitive. There is also CNN News - which is fine if you have a short attention span - or are American. :)

But there are quite a lot of English programs with sub-titles on a lot of European channels - if you have the perseverance to look for and find them.

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You have 2 strong European satellites at 19 and 13 degrees.
    Mostly foreign content BUT you do find films and if you look within the audio selection you can often find an English soundtrack is transmitted but not always!.
    This applies to Digital television through an aerial, especially for Spain where you can find some American TV shows that have their English track..

Here is a useful source for info..
    http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Lots of English language films are transmitted with subtitles in Portuguese on Portuguese terrestrial TV channels. The Euronews channels ( and Eurosport channels) are in English on the Hotbird satellite.

5. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Thanks tonka, sorry don't understand a lot of the technicalities. I guess one of the satellites you mention would be Astra 19? I have an automatic setup, would the other one be Hotbird.

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Yes.. 13 degrees also known as Hotbird.. :)

7. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

Many UK and US programmes and Movies on 7 west and 26 east...MBC,Fox - show many programmes in English, albeit with Arabic subtitles. Should be OK in SPain on a 1m dish.
    There are not many other English language options on other satellites - Cnn, BBC world, sky news intnl

Remember most Sky pay channels are easily available in Spain and Portugal, but BBC ITV C43s are harder to get. You may get them in the Valencia Costa Blanca north area... with a fair bit of very fine tuning...

8. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

France 24 is a rolling news channel, all in English, that you can get anywhere. Strong right down to the Sahara.

Dick

9. seanoo

seanoo Funster

if you have an oyster vision 2 or 3 (85 cm) or crystop (latest one) or maxview manual 80 cm dish then you can still get bbc1 ,bbc2, itv1, ch4 all over spain and portugal , you just need to know how. if you are in spain and need help PM me

10. Clever Claire

Clever Claire Funster

Thank you everyone for all your information, it is much appreciated.