ALTERNATIVE TV CHANNELS (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks to all those who have answered my questions so far about satellite TV reception. I think I am beginning to understand how things do and don't work, but here is another question for you experts.
Once you are motoring south and your Astra 28 reception is a thing of the past, has anyone discovered any other watchable and mildly interesting (in the loosest sense of the word!) English programmes on any of the other satellites that can be received in Spain or Portugal.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get BBC World - which is useful for telling you the main headlines but it is a bit repetitive. There is also CNN News - which is fine if you have a short attention span - or are American. :)

But there are quite a lot of English programs with sub-titles on a lot of European channels - if you have the perseverance to look for and find them.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You have 2 strong European satellites at 19 and 13 degrees.
Mostly foreign content BUT you do find films and if you look within the audio selection you can often find an English soundtrack is transmitted but not always!.
This applies to Digital television through an aerial, especially for Spain where you can find some American TV shows that have their English track..

Here is a useful source for info..
http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Lots of English language films are transmitted with subtitles in Portuguese on Portuguese terrestrial TV channels. The Euronews channels ( and Eurosport channels) are in English on the Hotbird satellite.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks tonka, sorry don't understand a lot of the technicalities. I guess one of the satellites you mention would be Astra 19? I have an automatic setup, would the other one be Hotbird.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks tonka, sorry don't understand a lot of the technicalities. I guess one of the satellites you mention would be Astra 19? I have an automatic setup, would the other one be Hotbird.

Yes.. 13 degrees also known as Hotbird.. :)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Many UK and US programmes and Movies on 7 west and 26 east...MBC,Fox - show many programmes in English, albeit with Arabic subtitles. Should be OK in SPain on a 1m dish.
There are not many other English language options on other satellites - Cnn, BBC world, sky news intnl

Remember most Sky pay channels are easily available in Spain and Portugal, but BBC ITV C43s are harder to get. You may get them in the Valencia Costa Blanca north area... with a fair bit of very fine tuning...

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
France 24 is a rolling news channel, all in English, that you can get anywhere. Strong right down to the Sahara.

Dick

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
if you have an oyster vision 2 or 3 (85 cm) or crystop (latest one) or maxview manual 80 cm dish then you can still get bbc1 ,bbc2, itv1, ch4 all over spain and portugal , you just need to know how. if you are in spain and need help PM me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back