Alternative for Eudora e-mail? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been using Eudora e-mail client for something like 15 years now and have never had a problem with it on all versions of Windows I've used from 3.1 up to 8. However, I understand that the traditional version (7.1.0.9 which has been around for several years) may not work under Windows 8.1 so I'm looking for an alternative.

One of the most useful features of Eudora (as per my usage anyway) is the ease of creating extra folders to store messages that I want to keep for a considerable time and the ease of backing up those folders. That being the case, a major requirement is that the replacement software will import old messages held in Eudora folders.

I tried Thunderbird yesterday and it failed miserably on the import. I tried several times but it eventually hung for no apparent reason (no error condition flagged, just hung) and completely corrupted the contents of several messages.

I refuse to use MS Lookout and Lookout Distress and require an offline client not webmail.

Any recommendations (bearing in mind the necessity to be able to import messages from Eudora)?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2799623

A bit tedious, but it solved this guy's problem. The solution appears towards the end (as you might expect!)

Will there have been many attachments to the emails that you are trying to import? Do you need to keep the attachments?

I like Thunderbird, but appreciate that without a working import facility, it won't be ideal for your situation.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Caller. My problem is very similar to the one that guy describes, though only one Eudora installation and a lot less messages.

None of my stored e-mails have attachments stored with them as I always save attachments to specific conventional folders to avoid the Eudora attachments folder becoming massive.

It does seem rather ridiculous that such a convoluted solution is needed. With an IT background I would expect the Import facility to work or be removed. It's rather irresponsible to publish something that is known not to work. Because I am aware of the corruption that resulted I do not have confidence in the import routines actually doing the job even with the workaround.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
To sort out the import problem, have you taken a look at any of utilities that claim they can convert Eudora mail to something like mbox format (Thunderbird)? I've looked into these in the past but never used one in anger. They tend to be paid products with demos that limit you to a certain number of messages exported.

Disappointing to read about the total fail regarding exporting straight to Thunderbird - considering Eudora 8/OSE (or whatever it is called now...if it still exists) is based on Thunderbird, I would have thought they'd have chosen a product that allows legacy Eudora owners to upgrade seamlessly.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To sort out the import problem, have you taken a look at any of utilities that claim they can convert Eudora mail to something like mbox format (Thunderbird)? I've looked into these in the past but never used one in anger. They tend to be paid products with demos that limit you to a certain number of messages exported.

Disappointing to read about the total fail regarding exporting straight to Thunderbird - considering Eudora 8/OSE (or whatever it is called now...if it still exists) is based on Thunderbird, I would have thought they'd have chosen a product that allows legacy Eudora owners to upgrade seamlessly.

The workaround that Caller posted was based on those utilities Neil.

I looked at OSE a year or two ago but it is a pale imitation of the real Eudora and from what I've read in recent days has been abandoned in favour of Thunderbird.

Thunderbird itself looks to be a good product but including an import tool which patently does not work is not on. Having said that, I can quite see myself having to go through a stack of old e-mails and saving the essential bits as documents then moving to Thunderbird as I haven't found anything better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What's you reason(s) for not wanting to use either Windows Live Mail or MS Outlook ?

I have both but rarely use, but they do act as a backup for G mail

just wondering Graham.. .. I'm sure you have very good reasons.. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was a user of the paid version of Eudora for years, it was excellent in its day but MS Outlook 2013 is superb and for me it's leagues better. Outlook is fantastic out the box and can be configured to so much more. I like Gmail but while I'm a fan of cloud computing, my mail, calendars and tasks I like to have safe offline.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What's you reason(s) for not wanting to use either Windows Live Mail or MS Outlook ?

I have both but rarely use, but they do act as a backup for G mail

just wondering Graham.. .. I'm sure you have very good reasons.. ::bigsmile:

The reputation the software had whilst I was working in IT, Jim - and the reason I referred to it as Lookout and Lookout Distress. The software was famous for being full of holes for hackers to exploit.

I did actually look at trying Windows Live Mail last night but it comes as part of a whole lot of other updates. You can select not to install Skydrive and Messenger but there is no option not to update Photo Gallery & Movie Maker and Writer. I let it start but it seemed to be a large install (especially compared to other mail clients) which appeared to be a result of installing other things which were not admitted to so I cancelled it.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Migrating e-mail clients is painful regardless of what 'solution' you use. I used to love Forte Agent and Eudora 10 years ago and have had many fallings out with various flavours of Outhouse since then. But now I have 15 years worth of e-mails in Gmail which I can access from anywhere and the concept of backing up e-mails is far from my mind.

One of the ways to avoid some of the issues with regards to importing / exporting and backing up e-mail locally is to access your e-mails using IMAP rather than POP3. In another part of our business we regularly import customers existing mail archives, sometimes tens of GB's, from various formats into 'Google Apps' which is basically the business version of Gmail, but for one account you can just use the regular Gmail free version.

While I've never uploaded mail from Eudora into Gmail (I use Thunderbird) a quick Google suggests that it is possible. Just sign up to Gmail, add a new account in Eudora and 'drag and drop' your folders into Gmail and your mail will be uploaded.

Ok, so you get some targeted advertising if you was to use the webmail interface - but the IMAP functionality is superb and it means regardless of what e-mail client you use, your e-mails will be waiting for you. Once uploaded if you have folders with attachments you can set these to Sync headers / bodies only and leave the attachments on the server until you request them. Once uploaded you can try as many e-mail clients as you like, because your e-mail will be sync'd from the server rather than imported locally.

In terms of e-mail clients, Outlook is great if you are 'starting from scratch' ie you are a new employee at a company, but doesn't play nicely with importing stuff. I use Thunderbird - but the 'out of the box' version isn't great, you need to visit the plugin store and add features such as the conversations viewer and so forth to get it 'right'.

I recently had cause to find an e-mail form 8 years ago from 100 miles away. I had it printed off within 30 seconds of logging into Gmail from a friends computer. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the reasons I use an off-line e-mail client is that I have several e-mail addresses, with different companies, for different purposes (including maintenance of a charity web site which necessarily has officer e-mail accounts to make any personnel changes simpler). Eudora allows me to manage all of them conveniently in one place and I understand that Thunderbird would as well.

The other main reason is that I will not risk using any form of cloud storage (including webmail) unless forced to for reasons explained in numerous other threads :Smile:

I have a gmail account but only as a result of having Android devices (tablet initially and now a phone) which means I have to.

I have started to clean up the mail folders I have in Eudora, storing information I need in conventional files - and, I must admit, clearing out some stuff that I don't really need :Smile: Once I have completed that exercise I shall try Thunderbird again.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jill does a fair bit of embroidery design so has been angling for a new laptop with a 17 inch screen to make things easier.

Bought one this morning which has Windows 8.1 already installed and guess what, Eudora works fine.

So, all the messing about I did yesterday deleting stuff needn't have been done :ROFLMAO:

Never mind, I did have too much saved anyway ::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
:thumb: I do like it when old software just keeps going, either due to good backwards compatability, good software design, or just luck. When I think of the time I wasted switching between various mail clients between 2002 and 2008 :Doh:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:thumb: I do like it when old software just keeps going, either due to good backwards compatability, good software design, or just luck. When I think of the time I wasted switching between various mail clients between 2002 and 2008 :Doh:

Me too Neil. Too much stuff is designed not to last.

I can remember going to a Softworld exhibition in 1995 with our Chief Accountant when we were looking for alternative financial management software. One salesman opened up by saying that they found that local authorities had to change their FM software at least every 5 years. Seeing how my colleague and I looked at each other he asked how long our system had been running. He was put right off his stride when we told him 17 years :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back