Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Had my 12v cab socket rewired so that could be used without the engine being on. Went a walk and left my phone charging and came back to find smoke coming out of the dashboard. Can't see any damage so back to auto electrician when I get home on Monday

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Had my 12v cab socket rewired so that could be used without the engine being on. Went a walk and left my phone charging and came back to find smoke coming out of the dashboard. Can't see any damage so back to auto electrician when I get home on Monday
ouch sounds nasty
hope there is no hidden damage :Doh:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Oh no, hope its not serious or expensive. Was there an inline fuse fitted?:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Black smoke does not come from nowhere
There will be damage somewhere, probably some plastic sheath from an overheated wire

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
It was in getting an inline fuse fitted on Friday hopefully no major damage will be in to see them 1st thing Monday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used to use a double outlet 12v 5amp fag lighter adaptor, permanently fitted in an overhead cupboard.......until it melted.

the heat also started to melt the plastic socket surround.

i had a tv (2amps) and sat receiver (2amps) plugged in at the time.

now I only use Hella DIN sockets and plugs...far superior electrical connection & more secure than a cig lighter plug, and rated at 15amps

Link Removed

Link Removed

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I had the same happen to me with a 12 volt phone charger the other day only I didn't use the dash one, luckily it started smoking as I plugged it in so immediately took it out and smelled electrical burning.
Took the plug apart and sure enough it had melted the contacts inside.
If it had started while we were out it could have been a disaster and burned the van down.
Now we unplug all electrical devices when leaving the van for any length of time.
No damage done to the van wiring that time but I will no longer buy cheap chargers from Ebay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back