Almost 60, retire, live in MY. Good idea?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Robert 314, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Robert 314

Robert 314 Funster

I have just handed in my resignation and plan to travel with my dog. Firstly just in the UK until I am fully acquainted with the MH. I am planning on staying in the Southwest (Somerset) area and wild 'camping' in area,s that I know are ok (my job as a CEO/Traffic Warden has some perks). Any advice or nice places in the SW for free overnight parking would be greatly appreciated.
    If I can be of any assistance to any of you guys then please don,t hesitate to contact me.

• Like Like x 6
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Welcome! Unfortunately, many of the choice free camping spots are not publicised but you might be lucky and get some useful suggestions.

I am sure you know it is much easier the other side of the Channel, particularly France but also in Spain, especially in the winter.

I assume you are up to speed on the issues of not having a UK address, if that is going to be the case, and the cost of full time insurance?

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Not enough info to recommend anything to be honest.

mortgage free home owner?

Renting?

Private or council assured tenancy?

Etc...etc....

5. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

Hi, I have not been on this forum for long but there seems a lot of negativity of wild camping, personally my wife and me and the dogs just want to walk and camp not pay £20 odd pounds to fit in with folks sitting round in chairs, steve and nade.

• Like Like x 8
  6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Look at the wild camping website

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

A lot of people, like us, wild camp but are not so keen on the poor image given by those that trespass, park up for weeks at a time and give motor homers a bad reputation.

• Like Like x 7
  8. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Further, so many who do wild camp are noe reluctant to share their hard found spots for the real fear that some numpty will abuse the spot and the landowner or local council will take steps to prevent its further use.

As regards the question in the title... go for it. I hope to do something along those lines when I reach a similar age

• Like Like x 3
  9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Robert Welcome to Fun, sounds like a great plan to me as you are looking for a new van it it's not brand new see if you can get one with Solar panels and good battery system it will be a good help when wild camping, many of us when wilding wether in UK or Europe /Morocco last without hardly going on electric hook ups, when getting your new van as you will be living in it check for a good pay load as well nothing worse than being to limited.
    SW is way out of our area so can't help you there, but I am sure as you wonder around you will find some beautiful places.
    I see you have used up your 5 free posts , it's well worth the £15 a year for full membership you can ask as many questions as you need, someone will usually have been there and done it before.
    Good luck with your new adventure. :welc:

10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

We wild camp all the time but we make sure that we leave no evidence and no one hardly notices's we have stayed overnight.
    You will soon have a library of wonderful places to stay overnight - all over the country.
    Its amazing the places you will find if you keep an eye out.
    There is no reason what so ever to pay £20 a night when all you need is a parking spot.
    I do think many people seek the security of camp sites, it's not that they need any of the facility's.

• Like Like x 7
  11. spitfire

spitfire Funster

I don't think it us so much negativity as not making it obvious and asking on an open forum for ideas of where to stop because as others have said it is like a flock of seagulls and so spoils it for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

You are right, you haven't been on this forum long if that's what you think we all do, you have an awful lot of catching up to do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oriel

Oriel

Sorry, no advice as to stopovers.

As to your plan... I'm very envious! I've just retired but husband has another year before he's free.... Enjoy!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I full timed for a year and 9 months, a little of it wild camping, but mostly on sites.
    I never had a problem stopping vernight in a layby. When my cat was having an op. I stayed for 3 nights in a layby near the vets, no problems so all. Be sensible with security, even if you have a dog with you. And look into insurance, UK address you will use for mail and insurance, registration etc.
    I enjoyed the whole time. Only problem I encountered was when m/home had to be repaired and the one week estimate stretched to just under 3. Luckily a very kind friend invited me ( plus 2 dogs and 2 cats) to stay.
    The only other thing I'd add is get a safe fitted. You have to carry a lt more with you when full timing so a secure safe will keep valuables safe.

15. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

I think my post was very harsh and I apologise to all concerned, iam fearing losing my van and job so iam not in the best frame of mind and finding it difficult to think positive, hope things will get better so we can enjoy our van on and off sites.:oops:

• Like Like x 9
  16. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Yeah a bit harsh - but we cant always understand the circumstances

• Like Like x 2
  17. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Hope things work out the way you want them to.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

@pigginchilli hope things improve for you not a nice situation to be in, wishing you all the best, I am sure we all post on times then think oops hot hat was not the best. :Smile:

19. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Really interested in how you get on as I may find myself HAVING to probably full time soon if things don't change..... The area you mention is also of interest to me so will watch your thread with interest.. :)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Robert 314

Robert 314 Funster

As a total newbie and a ludite I would like to thank you all for responding and for your thoughts on my forethcoming adventure, whether they be posative or negative, Thank you one and all...it's appreciated.
    I have spent several years 'wild camping' in my existing van and have never experienced any problem and I'm extremely responsible on where and when I park.
    I wish I knew how to respond to individual comments but having paid my £15 I'm sure I'll get the hang of this 'forum business'.
    Just above this is a reply from Movan. Movan, I've spent alot of time travelling, wild camping and sorting my life out and I would never wish to be in another place. I do not want roots and relish every day. (Just seen a like button on your post movan)
    Anyway folks...thank you and in the words of Arnie...."I'll be back!"

• Like Like x 6