Alloy wheels for my Sprinter based Pilote (1 Viewer)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After suffering my second corroded rim whilst away in France recently, whether the corrosion is due to bad workmanship or the Puncturesafe I have in them I am not sure. Having no space or payload for a spare wheel I have decided that it would probably better if I fitted alloy wheels and was looking at Tyresave Has anyone had any dealings with this company? and am I right in thinking that I would need different wheel bolts as I can't see any mentioned on their website. I would welcome your feedback

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Bought a set for my Peugeot from Wheelbase Alloys, excellent to deal with. They supplied new bolts as they are different.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Check the weight of alloy wheels I think they are heavier than steel. If you are short on payload they will eat into it if I am correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thanks Electraglide for the recommendation of wheelbase alloys, I had a look and they are very keenly priced. I sent an email to them asking about steel valves and they promptly replied offering to chuck them in on the deal. So will order them up soon when I have the pennies

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Search the dark side .. for: Big Time Alloy Wheel Failure

We were out and about in the 'van at the weekend and were driving home when there was an almighty 'bang' from the rear of the 'van and it started to handle strangely, thought it was a puncture so immediately slowed down to walking pace and as luck would have it we were next to a layby so pulled in to investigate. Turns out that the o/side rear alloy had collapsed.
alloy005.jpg

alloy008.jpg

alloy003.jpg

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Some information here about alloy for campers Broken Link Removed

One paragraph states:

"Finally, there seems to be a belief that swapping onto alloy wheels will offer a dramatic weight saving, freeing up some load capacity for a few more cases of French plonk! Unfortunately this is not really the case (not another wine reference), campervan alloys are of a similar weight to a steel wheel, due to the amount of aluminium required to get to such a load capacity."

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
seen a few cheap alloys disintergrate dew to weight issues and the wheel not bulky enough . i would stick with steel and nice set of caps much safer . :cool::cool: STAN

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years