Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Is it just me being unlucky or is the latest version (north / south edition ) useless?

So far out of 4 Aires visited as listed in book, 3 are no longer☹️☹️☹️

Beginning to think books are a waste of money and should just use apps like camper contact

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've used ours on 2 holidays in France this year with no problems. After the authors have visited if an aire closes I suppose they only know if someone updates them and once the book's printed then it's too late.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I believe that the next version is to be published this autumn. I'll replace my copy (the one before the 2 volume set) when the new version is available. Always useful to have in the motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is it just me being unlucky or is the latest version (north / south edition ) useless?

Beginning to think books are a waste of money and should just use apps like camper contact
We used www.searchforsites.co.uk and had no problems but out of two we chose out of the book one was closed but we stayed there outside it anyway.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But you have to remember the current book is two years old now.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
That is the problem with printed media it can be up to three years out of date as collating data, getting it printed and distributing it all takes time. I use a combination of book (camping car magazine aires), Internet (campingcar infos) and app (camper contact). This gives me all the info needed and have found some cracking Aires.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Better books of aires are available - the only thing that the UK produced one has going for it IMV is that it is in English, but the ones in other languages are easy to understand from the symbols and standard words used and have a LOT more aires in them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Broken Link Removed
If you have an android device , this is the one you need, it finds Aires that are not in anything else , but it does only work on android

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Books ARE a waste of money
Out of date the minute they go to print
Campercontact installed on your phone or other mobile device is all you need

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Books ARE a waste of money
Out of date the minute they go to print
Campercontact installed on your phone or other mobile device is all you need
Absolutely correct providing you're going to have data roaming. Those who are away a lot and frequently get great useage but for the humble guys and girls who can only do 1/2/3 weeks away then All the Aires is very good. I appreciate all the pro's and con's regarding 3 and other networks daily data usage but once bought, it's there till YOU want to update it. Of course, you don't have to renew every year. I only got the new one last year because it had split north and south and SWMBO prefers the single edition.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I've always avoided books in the past because as mentioned they are out of date soon after print, it can also get expensive buying all these books for each different country you travel to.
I now only have the Camperstop Europe book which by no means has 'all the aires' but it is a handy reference and includes stopovers all over Europe. I intend to renew mine say every other year.

Also if you want complete coverage via apps or website poi's no one site has 'all the aires', theres always a few missing from one that is on another one and visa versa imo.

So, from one who tours all over Europe, my solution is the Camperstop Europe Book for general reference along with Campercontact, Park4night, Furgoperfecto, CC-Infos POI's on the satnav along with campercontact app on the tablet.

I also have Maps.me on the tablet with poi's from the above for a general reference of stopovers location wise.

That just about covers it for us as we don't have a smartphone.

Pete

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Absolutely correct providing you're going to have data roaming. Those who are away a lot and frequently get great useage but for the humble guys and girls who can only do 1/2/3 weeks away then All the Aires is very good. I appreciate all the pro's and con's regarding 3 and other networks daily data usage but once bought, it's there till YOU want to update it. Of course, you don't have to renew every year. I only got the new one last year because it had split north and south and SWMBO prefers the single edition.
You don't need data roaming with Campercontact
With the paid version you can download the maps for any country you like, and access it locally without any data connection

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You don't need data roaming with Campercontact
With the paid version you can download the maps for any country you like, and access it locally without any data connection
Is this an annual payment and is there information ogher than just co-ordinates?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the Vicarious book has its place. Some folk are not very tech savvy (like me:)) and a book has a sort of comfort factor. It has pictures and a description and it works when the batteries on your device are flat. If it gets people into Europe who otherwise might be nervous stepping over the
Channel then it gets my support.

Of course our dog disagrees as those who remember this picture will know.

P6090746.JPG

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is this an annual payment and is there information ogher than just co-ordinates?
Its about £4 a year for the App, though from memory my first subscription didn't expire, I just renewed it hoping to get an updated version.
The app allows you to update with the latest reviews and sites whenever you like
Its pretty much the only tool I use
The only books I still use are France Passion, Fatore Amico (the Italian version of France Passion) and Britstops

Edit: Sorry Ive never downloaded the co ordinates
I simply enter them as I need them

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think the Vicarious book has its place. Some folk are not very tech savvy (like me:)) and a book has a sort of comfort factor. It has pictures and a description and it works when the batteries on your device are flat. If it gets people into Europe who otherwise might be nervous stepping over the

View attachment 121159
OMG!
Its like a war zone

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

View attachment 121159
Quite agree, we have it and no complaints at all for what it does, you can plan a few stops knowing what to expect , but when you get somewhere you hadn't planned on these little apps will tell you where there is one nearer to where you want to be.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Its about £4 a year for the App, though from memory my first subscription didn't expire, I just renewed it hoping to get an updated version.
The app allows you to update with the latest reviews and sites whenever you like
The only books I still use are France Passion, Fatore Amico (the Italian version of France Passion) and Britstops

Now you have moved us to a different thing(y) for anyone who hasn't been touring in France and a little unsure, France passion is what you need even more so or at least as much , these are compleatly safe and out in the real France , always free, but can turn out expensive if you partake of their wares, we have been in it four years, and no regrets at all but since we have got more used to Aires or stopping anywhere, we havnt joined this year, but if you new and want to meet real French people, France passion is the one.(y):)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Call me 'old fashioned' but I prefer the tactility of books. Great for 'on your knee' research. Backed up by satnav and validity checking on the web. Belt and braces for me.
(y)

Maybe I am 'old fashioned' after all .....:rolleyes:

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I have used all the aires for the last 8 years and like it, most of the time.....
First time I used it the first 2 aires I went to were not there anymore, I was upset and nearly threw the book away :mad:
I contacted them via e-mail and in the next edition they were removed :D

Having used it quite a lot since then it has always delivered a location for me to sleep relatively safely.
I have an old version now and I prefer Camperstop. Only because it covers more countries and you can download POI's to Tomtom for a few Euros.

Different people like different things. Use what is best for you.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Thinking about it, if anyone is thinking of going to France this Autumn for the first time, France passion is a far better buy, than allthe Aires , France passion would be a far easier way into getting to know France, the owners would be more than happy to help you and tell you what goes on, and if you happen to drop on an aire on your travels , use it and see what all the fuss is about:) and as the alltheaires book is coming out again this winter , buying one now will be a waste of money, it's already out of date.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Have you sent this information to the author of said books?

If not perhaps that's one of the reasons the information in them is incorrect?

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
buy Camperstop it's the only aries book you will need for the whole of Europe

colyboy

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Or buy it direct and you can get a free app download from the app store.

colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back