All The Aires France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nigel&Debbie, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Is it just me being unlucky or is the latest version (north / south edition ) useless?

So far out of 4 Aires visited as listed in book, 3 are no longer☹️☹️☹️

Beginning to think books are a waste of money and should just use apps like camper contact

2. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We've used ours on 2 holidays in France this year with no problems. After the authors have visited if an aire closes I suppose they only know if someone updates them and once the book's printed then it's too late.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

I believe that the next version is to be published this autumn. I'll replace my copy (the one before the 2 volume set) when the new version is available. Always useful to have in the motorhome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

We used www.searchforsites.co.uk and had no problems but out of two we chose out of the book one was closed but we stayed there outside it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

But you have to remember the current book is two years old now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. FJmike

FJmike Funster

That is the problem with printed media it can be up to three years out of date as collating data, getting it printed and distributing it all takes time. I use a combination of book (camping car magazine aires), Internet (campingcar infos) and app (camper contact). This gives me all the info needed and have found some cracking Aires.

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Better books of aires are available - the only thing that the UK produced one has going for it IMV is that it is in English, but the ones in other languages are easy to understand from the symbols and standard words used and have a LOT more aires in them.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Books ARE a waste of money
    Out of date the minute they go to print
    Campercontact installed on your phone or other mobile device is all you need

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Absolutely correct providing you're going to have data roaming. Those who are away a lot and frequently get great useage but for the humble guys and girls who can only do 1/2/3 weeks away then All the Aires is very good. I appreciate all the pro's and con's regarding 3 and other networks daily data usage but once bought, it's there till YOU want to update it. Of course, you don't have to renew every year. I only got the new one last year because it had split north and south and SWMBO prefers the single edition.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pjay

pjay Funster

I've always avoided books in the past because as mentioned they are out of date soon after print, it can also get expensive buying all these books for each different country you travel to.
    I now only have the Camperstop Europe book which by no means has 'all the aires' but it is a handy reference and includes stopovers all over Europe. I intend to renew mine say every other year.

Also if you want complete coverage via apps or website poi's no one site has 'all the aires', theres always a few missing from one that is on another one and visa versa imo.

So, from one who tours all over Europe, my solution is the Camperstop Europe Book for general reference along with Campercontact, Park4night, Furgoperfecto, CC-Infos POI's on the satnav along with campercontact app on the tablet.

I also have Maps.me on the tablet with poi's from the above for a general reference of stopovers location wise.

That just about covers it for us as we don't have a smartphone.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robert Clark

You don't need data roaming with Campercontact
    With the paid version you can download the maps for any country you like, and access it locally without any data connection

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Is this an annual payment and is there information ogher than just co-ordinates?

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think the Vicarious book has its place. Some folk are not very tech savvy (like me:)) and a book has a sort of comfort factor. It has pictures and a description and it works when the batteries on your device are flat. If it gets people into Europe who otherwise might be nervous stepping over the
    Channel then it gets my support.

Of course our dog disagrees as those who remember this picture will know.

P6090746.JPG

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Robert Clark

Its about £4 a year for the App, though from memory my first subscription didn't expire, I just renewed it hoping to get an updated version.
    The app allows you to update with the latest reviews and sites whenever you like
    Its pretty much the only tool I use
    The only books I still use are France Passion, Fatore Amico (the Italian version of France Passion) and Britstops

Edit: Sorry Ive never downloaded the co ordinates
    I simply enter them as I need them

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robert Clark

OMG!
    Its like a war zone

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Quite agree, we have it and no complaints at all for what it does, you can plan a few stops knowing what to expect , but when you get somewhere you hadn't planned on these little apps will tell you where there is one nearer to where you want to be.

18. chaser

chaser Funster

Now you have moved us to a different thing(y) for anyone who hasn't been touring in France and a little unsure, France passion is what you need even more so or at least as much , these are compleatly safe and out in the real France , always free, but can turn out expensive if you partake of their wares, we have been in it four years, and no regrets at all but since we have got more used to Aires or stopping anywhere, we havnt joined this year, but if you new and want to meet real French people, France passion is the one.(y):)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Call me 'old fashioned' but I prefer the tactility of books. Great for 'on your knee' research. Backed up by satnav and validity checking on the web. Belt and braces for me.
    (y)

Maybe I am 'old fashioned' after all .....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Fortunately, the only causality was All the Aires France, which now covers a few less Departments than it used to.

• Funny Funny x 3