All my water leaked out?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by stevegreen, Dec 5, 2009.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen Read Only Funster

I decided yesterday to flush out my fresh water tank on our Hymer 564, and so filled it up until the LCD display said it was 100% full. I then went inside the motorhome and turned on the taps. After much spluttering some water came out but it certainly wasn't pouring out as it should. i then went outside the motorhome and I saw that water was pouring out of a pipe located toward the rear of the vehicle. I have looked in the manual to see hat this pipe is but can find no reference to it at all, but needless to say it carried on pouring out even with the taps inside turned off, until the tank was empty.

Studying the manual again today I read that there is a safety system that opens a valve when the temperature goes 8 degrees or lower. According to the manual, this valve is close to the waste water tap. I had a look and found the valve, opened it and water started coming out. I assume that this was water from the boiler.

The main flow of water yesterday was not from this valve but from a pipe on the other side of the van which seems to be located under where the boiler sits. There seems to be no tap for this pipe.

I'm confused as hell by this and no matter how much I read the manual i can't seem to comprehend why the van would dump all of the water for no apparent reason.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. John H

John H Read Only Funster

It could be the auto dump for the water tank, maybe the fact that you filled it with cold water was enough to lower the temp so it dumped, the boiler usualy has a seperate manual drain point.

regards, John

3. stevegreen

Ok, so if the tank has an auto dump and it's related to temperature how am I going to get around this problem when we are in France within a few weeks, it'll be colder there so does that mean i'm not going to be able to carry a full tank of water?

Sorry for the daft question but i'm a bit concerned about it.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is normally a dump valve next to the Truma. It trips on low temp. Black valve with red knob. Because they can be too sensitive a trick is to put a clothes peg on to stop it dropping. This is very dangerous of course if you leave the peg on and it does freeze.

5. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

If your truma does space heating as well then just turn it on to warm it up to overcome the low temp dump valve.

BTW although this valve opens automatically it must be closed manually. Saves blushes when filling up on site. :Blush:

6. stevegreen

Right, got you...........this lark is more involved than I first thought.

Another silly question then. These that go skiing in their motorhomes, how do they keep water on board from not freezing when the temperature is possibly well below zero?

7. stevegreen

Thanks for that! That will save me even more confusion when I try filling it again tomorrow :Doh: Just need to find the valve now!

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

im sure a member with the same van will be along soon to help.

it sounds as though the main fresh tank drain valve is open.

i dont think the auto boiler dump will drain the fresh tank as the boiler will be after the pump, which should stop water draining out to the boiler and the dump valve.

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I guess the first thing is to buy a winterised MH which has extra insulation, double floors, but even that can fail if it's cold enough. I had a little freeze up, it was a pipe at the back of a cupboard so didn't get much warmth. I hadn't thrown enough money at it, had the heating too low.

10. pappajohn

if the fresh tank is inside the van and the van is relatively warm then it shouldnt freeze.

on my kontiki its under the dinette seat and at last new years meet it was well below freezing outside but it didnt freeze.

11. stevegreen

Interesting. After I filled up the fresh water tank I did nothing other than turn on the taps. My thought was that I would fill the fresh water tank up, run the water out of all of the taps thus filling up the grey water tank, empty the grey water tank. Job done, system flushed with fresh water. The fresh water tank does have a plug in it that you can use to empty it, if this is the drain valve you refer to then this is not where the water was coming from.

The fresh tank is under the floor of the living area and from what I can see it's not open to the elements underneath the van.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  12. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Just leave your heating on very low.

As to your water coming out, I have a Burstner, same group as Hymer so maybe the same tank, if you remove the lid, about 6" diameter on mine, you'll find a simple sink plug which may have been 'blown' out by the force of the water during filling.

Worth a quick check anyway.

Oops too late, typing's not up to scratch.

13. chrissie

chrissie Read Only Funster

If the power is still on to the pump & the auto dump valve operates due to the temperature drop the pump will empty your tank & the pump can run dry & fail. In France last year I had the dump valve open with the boiler on & the inlet pipe to the boiler also froze. I found that there was a safety drop out hole & when the boiler was on it was drawing cold air in below the boiler & causing the dump valve to open. I have since fitted a piece of board to act as a baffle to keep some heat below the boiler & keep the valve above the temperature which it can open.

14. pappajohn

of course!!!!

i was forgetting hymers have an 'in-tank' pump unlike proper motorhomes. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. stevegreen

Is that actually in the fresh water tank that you are referring to? If so, it's a little plug on mine which was in. Also, this wasn't where the water was coming out from.

16. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

It was but that's obviously not the problem. My van also has a manual dump valve close to the auto one, is yours the same? Can't imagine how it could have been opened though.:Cool:

17. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Next to that Dump valve is there a piece of hose with a valve which has a small red 'Switch' ?
    If so,that 'switch' should be in the horizontal position ie lying flat against the hose.
    I moved mine into the 'upright' position whilst trying to sort out heating on our 1st trip and drained all the water :BigGrin:

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Never rely on contents gauges ever:Eek!:
    fill it visually if possible
    Could you have over filled and caused the tank to pressurise then self syphon via the over fill pipe (it will have one ):thumb:
    Geo

19. pappajohn

nice idea Geo but it wont overfill or pressurise.

the overflow will be near the top without a dip tube so cant siphon.

20. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Not a silly question at all.

What we do is when we are traveling we use the peg system. When traveling in the mountains the temp can really drop we use the webasto heating or leave the g gas on. keeping the van warm.
    When we are on site its not a problem as the van is warm anyway. The water tank is in side so it doesn't freeze when lived in.

I came home from work the other night and heard the rushing of water, mine too was having a dump:cry: