all in one printers (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
can anyone give me real world reccomendations for a decent all in one printer .We mosltly use it for black and white with occasional colour ive been reading reviews and they all seem to contradict each other

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
By 'all-in-one' do you just mean printer + scanner?
Then, what factors make 'decent'? Quality of printout? Cost of ink?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We've got the Canon MG5650. It's very good and works even when some of the inks have run out (we use it mainly for printing in black)

When we got it from Currys, we paid about £50 plus another tenner or so for 3 years instant replacement guarantee, so no qualms about using compatible cartridges, as it's covered for ink blockage.

Replacement compatible cartridges cost just a few pounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have an HP C5280. Not made any more because we have had it for ages and it has never been any trouble. It literally has printed many, many thousands of pages, because I use it for all the Scouts stuff. Only use the scanner part occasionally, but the photocopier bit is used a lot. Does exactly what I need of it.

All in one printers are recommended.(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have an Epson ET2500 wifi printer scanner.
Cost around £199 but has individual ink tanks instead of expensive, and small capacity, cartridges.
Ink refills are 70ml and cost around £8 each colour.
Most economical printer we have had and print quality is acceptable for our use.
Last major task was 50 'order of service' booklets for MIL's funeral, full colour and illustrated.
More expensive models have better quality.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Recently bought an HP 5640 from PC world for our daughter at about £60.00. Chose HP as they come with full sized ink cartridges in the box, rather than the samples from some others. Was easy to set up and does what it says on the tin, early days but so far so good.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends how much you're going to use it. If it's not very often, just basic home stuff and no serious photo printing then just get the cheapest Epson one you can find, something like this Broken Link Removed I'd go Epson over any of the others because the ink is cheaper.

At that sort of price it's a throw away item so if it starts playing up after 18 months chuck it in the bin and buy another one.

I ran an entire office on that principle once, it works.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At that sort of price it's a throw away item so if it starts playing up after 18 months chuck it in the bin and buy another one.
I also used to do that at one time.
The cost of replacement ink was often more than the cost of another printer.....then they started putting 'tester' sized cartridges in making that option obsolete.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I got fed up of replacing the cheap inkjets and got a very good price on a colour laser all in one. (Scanner copier fax printer)
The toner cartridges are pricy but last me for years (around 7000 copies) Photo printing is not as good as the inkjets though, but don't do much of that.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have had an Epson DX8450 for years and use compatible cartridges which are very cheap and have no issues with it. You can't get it now but If I had to replace it I would be looking at Epson again.
Somethings to consider are getting a WiFi enable device as this would allow you to print from your Android devices and I would steer clear of HP as there have been issues with compatible cartridges of late and the originals cost an arm and a leg!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37408173

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have an old castoff standalone black and white printer from work as they wanted network printers. Its a basic HP laser jet and works faultlessly every day. I daresay I won't be able to get cartridges before it packs up so then I'll be looking for someone to fill my cartridge with the ink powder.

When my Dad died he had a fancy Canon 7 ink, inkjet printer with gadgets for CD printing, labels and everything for his photography hobby. The 7 cartridges were expensive so I bought a bulk ink system to keep the cost down but obviously didn't use it enough as the whole thing got clogged up and I ended up throwing it all away after hours spent trying to clean the nozzles with spirits etc. I am therefore pretty anti inkjet printers but a cheap throw away when it packs up is probably the answer if you need one.

Now when I want to print colour photos, I get them done by a lab and its cheaper and easier for the amount that I do. My photos are now simple and only adjust them for red eye. If I don't get it right in the field then I don't bother with software mucking about with them. Most pics are now sent electronically for web viewing or on facebook or WhatsApp so the only things printed are to stick up on the wall so they have to be good!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We have used an Hp office pro 8600 for about two years for our business, prior to that we had the office pro 8500 for over two years. Both machines have been excellent. Great for wireless linking to our network. Best printers around for about £100.

Well tried, very robust. Also copies and scans double sided.

Barry

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have 2, an HP Envy 120e for everyday stuff and a Canon ip8700 A3 printer for photos.
We use Internet-ink.com for oem and compatible cartridges, after your first order they send you a code to get 10%off compatibles. I've used them for years and their ink is excellent
When I used to print a lot I used a CISS (continuous ink) system from Cityink.
Saved a fortune with 100ml bottles instead of 9ml cartridges

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have used a Brother 'all-in-one' for several years. It's good as a printer but not so good for photos. The on-screen messages are difficult to read in poor light. Ink is/was one of the cheapest per cc. It goes through a regular regime of cleaning the head, so blocked nozzles would seem a thing of the past. Few paper jams and it was cheap to buy. The new ones probably print from iPhone/iPad but this one does not, sadly. Even so, is has been good value for money.
I use other (Laser, photo inkjet, portable) printers for special purposes and even a scanner with document feed. Horses for courses. An 'all-in-one' is a 'jack of all trades' but master of none.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back